PDA

View Full Version : Difference in attitude based on where th BR is and how it got there.

mosquito
10-18-2005, 04:49 AM
Okay.

I know it really should not make a difference.

Online, I'm more comfortable playing with money I have built up on the site. It's the same money whether it's on the site, in Neteller or on some other poker site. But once I have built a 'cushion' of profit on one site, I am much more comfortable pushing my edges. Or taking shots at bigger games. And it's all the same bankroll.

Cash games are slightly different. If I don't have 'X' dollars in my pocket or readily available from my poker account at the bank, I'm not nearly as comfortable - even though I have suitable backup online that can be transfered to my bank in a few days.

Knowing I have this issue does not seem to help alleviate it. Having a bigger bankroll overall for the games I play would help.

Just wondering if anyone has any mental 'tricks' I might try to get past this.

I don't want to imagine that my wallet has more money in it, BTW. Nothing like not having any cash in an emergency on the way home.

Thanks, mosquito

bernie
10-18-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cash games are slightly different. If I don't have 'X' dollars in my pocket or readily available from my poker account at the bank, I'm not nearly as comfortable - even though I have suitable backup online that can be transfered to my bank in a few days.

Knowing I have this issue does not seem to help alleviate it. Having a bigger bankroll overall for the games I play would help.

[/ QUOTE ]

You already answered it...

Get a bigger bankroll or move down in limits.

b

mosquito
10-18-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You already answered it...

Get a bigger bankroll or move down in limits.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, but neither is possible at the moment. Still looking for a mental key.

gildwulf
10-18-2005, 08:51 PM
I would say keep playing the same game until you get used to the stakes. If you absolutely cannot get used to the betting units of the particular game you need to move down. Rinse, wash, repeat until you find a level you are comfortable with regardless of bankroll/skill...

mosquito
10-18-2005, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would say keep playing the same game until you get used to the stakes. If you absolutely cannot get used to the betting units of the particular game you need to move down. Rinse, wash, repeat until you find a level you are comfortable with regardless of bankroll/skill...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, but you still did not read the post. I did not say that I was/wasn't comfortable with the stakes. I did say my comfort level was related to a number that was meaningless.

Sigh.

I guess no one will have a relevant comment.

vexvelour
10-18-2005, 10:49 PM
You just gotta find a time when your mentality is good and you can look at the money from a different point of view.

I know this sounds weird, but at different points in the day do you feel differently about certain things.

For example, if I spend $20 at 7-11 on beer and cigs and maybe a slurpee, afterwards, I can look back and think "wow I just blew $20 like nothing." And that transfers how I feel about $20 online. I think "investing $20 will usually yield a profit of X... better spent here".

Honestly I think it's a perfectly disciplined view you're taking. I don't think it's a bad thing at all. Just let loose every now and then.

mosquito
10-18-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You just gotta find a time when your mentality is good and you can look at the money from a different point of view.

I know this sounds weird, but at different points in the day do you feel differently about certain things.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is helpful.

Lash
10-19-2005, 04:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

^I know what you mean...Happens to me all the time. For instance, if I just can't get it together mentally...for whatever reason... Even if I'm playing totally within my bankroll, if I feel off... I take a break and find something else to do.

The downside is that sometimes you fail to get into a positive groove in profitable situations that you need to grind your way into... If you weren't taking breaks all the time, you'd settle into your game and some great situations... sometimes that happens less frequently when you chop your sessions up like crazy taking breaks all the time, but you gotta do what you are comfortable with

stigmata
10-19-2005, 07:54 AM
Start treating it all as one bankroll. Say you only need 100BB in each site at any one time (depends how many tables you play, etc). Just keep 150BB at each site. Cash out to neteller everytime it gets above 200, or cash in everytime it is below 100.

In this way you stop treating the bankroll at different sites as a different entity, and just as one big thing. Only keep mental track of your bankroll as a whole. E.g. don't even think about how much is in each site, except for cashing in/out. Just look at your days wins/losses overall.

Subfallen
10-19-2005, 10:55 AM
stigmata, this is great advice! Thanks.

shermn27
10-19-2005, 01:35 PM
Is it the bankroll issue or is there another factor in there? I recall other posters talking about differences between online and BM play. Often they complain they are more comfortable playing online (like yourself). Unlike you however, they did not cite bankroll worries as the source of their problems. Most advice suggested that it is likely that they play more online than live, and thus are more comfortable playing online. Might this be the case with yourself? Just something else to think about. If not, then I have served you no purpose and I apologize. If so however, I would suggest (again taken from other read posters) that you play live games more often until you reach that comfort zone. Good luck.

mosquito
10-19-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Start treating it all as one bankroll. Say you only need 100BB in each site at any one time (depends how many tables you play, etc). Just keep 150BB at each site. Cash out to neteller everytime it gets above 200, or cash in everytime it is below 100.

In this way you stop treating the bankroll at different sites as a different entity, and just as one big thing. Only keep mental track of your bankroll as a whole. E.g. don't even think about how much is in each site, except for cashing in/out. Just look at your days wins/losses overall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice, but how do you suggest I do that? I already stated that that was a problem. You simplify it to a discipline problem, which is not what I think it is.

In effect, it is as if I had stated:

"I can't stop beating my wife, how can I stop?"

And your reply was:

"It's easy. All you have to do is stop beating your wife."

- mosquito

mosquito
10-19-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it the bankroll issue or is there another factor in there? I recall other posters talking about differences between online and BM play. Often they complain they are more comfortable playing online (like yourself). Unlike you however, they did not cite bankroll worries as the source of their problems. Most advice suggested that it is likely that they play more online than live, and thus are more comfortable playing online. Might this be the case with yourself? Just something else to think about. If not, then I have served you no purpose and I apologize. If so however, I would suggest (again taken from other read posters) that you play live games more often until you reach that comfort zone. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never stated any preference between online or B+M. I have no problems playing, as long as it is within my bankroll. The issue is what the bankroll is percieved to be versus what it actually is. There is some legitimacy to this as far as funds availability goes, but less than my mind is making it out to be.

vexvelour
10-20-2005, 09:40 AM
mos-

Do you think grinding it out at a low limit and building a little that way would allieviate your poker bug?

Just a thought. I know it sounds like fun /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hope you're doing better.

mosquito
10-20-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
mos-

Do you think grinding it out at a low limit and building a little that way would allieviate your poker bug?

Just a thought. I know it sounds like fun /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hope you're doing better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay. I played some .02-.04 Omaha High just for kicks. Made a $1 in 20 minutes, what a blast. Now that I've alleviated my bug, it would still be nice to get a real solution to a real problem.

I don't know why people read between the lines, when there is nothing between the lines to read. Maybe my expression is poor, but I tried to state the problem as succinctly as possible. Anticipating other things that may or may not be going on in my life does not respond to the OP.

No matter how well intentioned.

But thanks for trying, anyhow.

mosquito
10-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Actually, I think I may have a solution for myself.

I'm going to go with a consolidation thing, not spreading my bankroll around quite as much. The individual piles will be that much larger, and should ease the (imaginary) problem.

It would be nice to have the option to find 'good games' at more than one or two sites though.