PDA

View Full Version : KQs - how to play (scary) river

pokernicus
10-18-2005, 03:32 AM
Comments on all streets are welcome, though I'm specifically interested in thoughts on how to play this on the river.

My read is that the villain plays semi-loose, and tends to be aggressive when he has a made hand (but otherwise seems pretty passive). I feel confident that I am ahead through the turn, but the T on the river is not a pleasant card as the board is now highly coordinated.

Am I better off checking or betting?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, SB folds.

River: (5.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero??

milesdyson
10-18-2005, 03:34 AM
raise preflop and bet the river. if he raises do you think you have the best hand often enough to call? pot will be 8.5 bets by that time, but i think he'll have at least two pair here with a hand like JT/8T/QT or he'll have been calling you down with the gutshot. i would not call a raise.

jaxUp
10-18-2005, 03:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
raise preflop and bet the river. if he raises do you think you have the best hand often enough to call? pot will be 8.5 bets by that time, but i think he'll have at least two pair here with a hand like JT/8T/QT or he'll have been calling you down with the gutshot. i would not call a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

analysis validated.

Shillx
10-18-2005, 03:43 AM
You know what is funny? I have flopped quads twice today and have ended up with quads a total of four times. I also bet scary rivers those times that I don't actually have quads, but I find that making quads is a lot more fun.

SCfuji
10-18-2005, 04:01 AM
so you are actually making it into the money dude???

Shillx
10-18-2005, 04:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
so you are actually making it into the money dude???

[/ QUOTE ]

My ROI today is 196% /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

That is like having a winrate of 20 bb/100. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

10-18-2005, 04:04 AM
Preflop: I'd raise that.
Flop: I'd play it the same.
Turn: I'd play it the same.
River: I'd bet and fold to a raise.

pokernicus
10-18-2005, 04:24 AM
A couple of people have advocated raising pre-flop. If the game were loose, then I agree that it makes sense. In this case the game was relatively tight (usually about 3 to a flop). The starting hand guidelines in SSHE suggest limping with KQs in this case.

Any thoughts on deciding between limping vs. raising w/ KQs?

P.S. Is it me or are the games at party considered tight by SSHE stanadards (i.e., 3-5 people to a flop on average vs. 6-8 people for a loose game)?

slipoker
10-18-2005, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
P.S. Is it me or are the games at party considered tight by SSHE stanadards (i.e., 3-5 people to a flop on average vs. 6-8 people for a loose game)?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to search for the loose tables, but Party has by far the most of them.

TomBrooks
10-18-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]analysis validated.

[/ QUOTE ] Approved.