PDA

View Full Version : "Rocky Balboa" (Rocky VI is being made)

MasterShakes
10-18-2005, 02:57 AM
I'm really glad that this is going to be made. I didn't want my last memory of the Rocky series to be of "Rocky V". The only thing that would have made this better is if they simply called it "Rocky V" as if it never existed. I was surprised to read how good the box office was on the first four movies.

---------------------------------------

Updated: 05:42 PM EDT
Stallone Getting Back in Ring for Sixth 'Rocky'

LOS ANGELES (Oct. 17) - Sylvester Stallone is signing on to reprise his role as boxer Rocky Balboa in the sixth installment of the long-running film series, which he wrote and will direct.

The film, titled "Rocky Balboa," will be co-produced and co-financed by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Columbia Pictures and Revolution Studios and will be distributed by Columbia Pictures.

Stallone has been trying to make a sixth movie for years and has been reworking a script. The latest version, which sources said is similar to the tone and grit of the first two movies, persuaded the studios to negotiate a deal.

"In many ways, the screenplay really took me back to the original 'Rocky,"' Revolution Studios founder Joe Roth said in a statement. "As a past champion, Rocky Balboa is once again a regular guy who has to find himself and deal with real life. This film brings Rocky's story full circle."

In the new installment, Rocky, lonely and retired in Philadelphia, comes out of retirement, intending to fight a few low-profile local fights. He's approached to fight a match with reigning heavyweight champ Mason "The Line" Dixon, and soon his comeback ignites a media firestorm.

"'Rocky Balboa' is about everybody who feels they want to participate in the race of life, rather than be a bystander," Stallone said in a statement. "You're never too old to climb a mountain, if that's your desire."

Shooting is scheduled to begin in December in Los Angeles and Philadelphia.

It wasn't immediately clear whether Talia Shire, who appeared in five previous "Rocky" films as the boxer's love interest, Adrian, will return in the sixth installment, said Stuart Herriot, a spokesman with Revolution Studios, which is co-producing the film.

"In the script, she did pass away, but it's unsure whether she might appear in a flashback or in older footage," Herriot said. "It's too early in the production to tell."

But, Herriot said, Burt Young is expected to return as Adrian's brother, Paulie.

Stallone received Academy Award nominations for starring in and writing "Rocky," and the 1976 MGM film won an Oscar for best picture, best director (John G. Avildsen) and best editing (Richard Halsey, Scott Conrad). The movie grossed $117.3 million at the domestic boxoffice, making Stallone a film star and creating one of cinema's most famous characters.

It also launched one of the most successful film series of all time. 1979's "Rocky II" grossed $85 million, and 1982's "Rocky III," which featured Mr. T, grossed $120.2 million. "Rocky IV," with Dolph Lundgren, made $125.4 million after its 1985 release. By the decade's close, however, audiences seemed to have tired of the character. "Rocky V," released in 1990, made only $40 million.

"Rocky Balboa" is the first film to be green-lit by MGM since it was acquired by Sony Corp.

10/17/05 06:40 ET

whiskeytown
10-18-2005, 05:09 AM
Stallone never gets the credit he deserves.

Aside from WRITING the original Rocky, he's been trying for years to move past lunkhead roles - He gained 30 pounds to do Copland cause he wanted to do a Miramax-type picture - meanwhile the majors are passing him over or pitching "Stop or my Mom will shoot" or "Judge Dredd"

so I'm glad to see him making a bit of a comeback. - he's a hell of a smart guy -

RB

diebitter
10-18-2005, 05:12 AM
I agree, he is talented. The first 4 Rocky's show this, as do First Blood and Paradise Alley - but he does put himself up for crap.

And I liked Judge Dredd, even with the mangling of the comic book mythos. If he'd have kept on the helmet and been the 'first 10 minutes' Dredd all the way through, it would have been awesome, I reckon.

jakethebake
10-18-2005, 06:36 AM
This thread is so two days ago.

Blarg
10-18-2005, 06:37 AM
I liked lots of Judge Dredd too. And I definitely respect how Stallone came out of nowhere with Rocky. I thought it would be crap, but it was impossible not to like. It was definitely solid.

Oh, and I think Burt Young not winning the Oscar the first time around was a big mistake. He was great, and better than Burgess Meredith.

I'm not sure about a 55 year old Rocky or whatever. I mean, hooray for dreams and all, but Rocky (and Stallone) are closer to geriatric age than they think. I'm not ready for Rocky with man-tits, and the thought of him taking steroids makes me more sad than admiring. It's time for Rocky to be a trainer, getting the drama from trying to change somebody else into a winner, and come by his own victories indirectly. A little reflection on how great warriors age and try to pass the mantle on to others could have been nice, if Stallone were a little better writer maybe. There's an incredible amount of drama, triumph, and heart ache in boxing without Rocky himself having to win while draping himself in a flag again. Stallone may have slipped, but his vision can be trite and narrow, too, perhaps leading to his own undoing here.

We'll see, I guess. We didn't need to see Eastwood fight in Million Dollar Baby, and I don't think we really need to see Rocky fight now, to make a good boxing movie, and to even gain a newfound affection for Rocky. I think he's heading down a dead end.

MasterShakes
10-18-2005, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about a 55 year old Rocky or whatever. I mean, hooray for dreams and all, but Rocky (and Stallone) are closer to geriatric age than they think. I'm not ready for Rocky with man-tits, and the thought of him taking steroids makes me more sad than admiring. It's time for Rocky to be a trainer, getting the drama from trying to change somebody else into a winner, and come by his own victories indirectly. A little reflection on how great warriors age and try to pass the mantle on to others could have been nice, if Stallone were a little better writer maybe. There's an incredible amount of drama, triumph, and heart ache in boxing without Rocky himself having to win while draping himself in a flag again. Stallone may have slipped, but his vision can be trite and narrow, too, perhaps leading to his own undoing here.

We'll see, I guess. We didn't need to see Eastwood fight in Million Dollar Baby, and I don't think we really need to see Rocky fight now, to make a good boxing movie, and to even gain a newfound affection for Rocky. I think he's heading down a dead end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put, but I think he's going to look a lot younger than you think. He will be 60 when this films, but the guy looks like he could pass for the age he'll be playing, which I'm guessing is something like a George Foreman comeback type age, and that's without any dressing up he'll receive on screen.

I'm just glad that they're going to at least try to undo what they did with the fifth movie. Some would say they're going to try to undo everything that happened since the first.

It almost certainly won't be an Oscar winner, but I think this movie has a much better shot at being great than people think right now.

tek
10-18-2005, 09:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's time for Rocky to be a trainer, getting the drama from trying to change somebody else into a winner, and come by his own victories indirectly. A little reflection on how great warriors age and try to pass the mantle on to others could have been nice, if Stallone were a little better writer maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he should be the trainer for Mike Tyson who gets a title fight with Mr. T.

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

trying2learn
10-18-2005, 11:07 AM
"Mason 'the line' Dixon"?!

that's just embarrassing. here's hoping the movie goes up from there.

jakethebake
10-18-2005, 11:12 AM
I'm thinking we'd all have been better off if Drago had killed him.

utmt40
10-18-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This thread is so two days ago.

[/ QUOTE ] Here you go... (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3664163&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=all&vc=1)

tdarko
10-18-2005, 11:16 AM
so who's going to play mason "the line" dixon? the rock? vin diesel?

the rocky series is one of my favorites, hell i wrote an english final on it in college...i just have a bad feeling they are going to screw this up. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

utmt40
10-18-2005, 11:19 AM
Nah, Rocky 6 is going to be awesome. Dont worry.

arod15
10-18-2005, 11:19 AM
They should just make rocky six his son fightning now.... Or no movoe at all...

utmt40
10-18-2005, 11:23 AM
Just in case some of you didnt see this before its the new theme song for the new movie..."Die or Retire" Instead of Eye of the Tiger.

Die or Retire (http://www.spoil-sports.com/RockyVI.htm)

Just so you know I am a big Ricky fan but this was toooooo funny.

dld
10-18-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Roy Jones Jr. (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808405668)

tdarko
10-18-2005, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Roy Jones Jr.

[/ QUOTE ]
thats good work. i am feeling better about this.

utmt40
10-18-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Roy Jones Jr.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats pretty damn sweet they are getting Jones to do this. I cant wait now.

samjjones
10-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Survivor has already recorded the title theme..."Fire Makes Steel".

trying2learn
10-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Jones was in talks to do this three years ago...don't know if that's still the plan or not.

The good news is - he's got no boxing career left, so he's available.

imported_The Vibesman
10-18-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Roy Jones Jr.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That link says it's just "talks," so let's not get our hopes up yet. Roy would be a great choice though. He's so well known to boxing fans it will help give the movie some credibility, and he's the right size.

Stupid trivia time: Heavyweight fighter Ken Norton Sr. was originally set to play Apollo Creed in Rocky, but it was eventually decided that they needed a smaller actor, as Norton, as well as any man built like a heavyweight made Stallone look even smaller than Stallone was, about 5-10, 160-170 lbs if I remember correctly. Jones is not a true heavyweight, but he's still big enough to look sufficiently menacing to Balboa, while not completely dwarfing Stallone.

jakethebake
10-18-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stupid trivia time: Heavyweight fighter Ken Norton Sr. was originally set to play Apollo Creed in Rocky...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's very interesting. I never knew that. He was my favorite heavyweight when I was a kid. That fight where he broke Ali's jaw was amazing.

imported_The Vibesman
10-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Yeah, Norton and Ali had some wars, man. Fantastic fights. Ali always had serious trouble w/ Kenny's style.

samjjones
10-18-2005, 12:13 PM
This is absolutely correct...I think Jones could potentially nail this part.

MasterShakes
10-18-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

the rocky series is one of my favorites, hell i wrote an english final on it in college...i just have a bad feeling they are going to screw this up. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we're more likely to get a relatively unknown actor than we are to get anybody you named or Roy Jones, Jr. Carl Weathers wasn't all that well known when he did the original, and he's still not all that well known now, despite his appearances in Happy Gilmore and Arrested Development. I think the movie would be better off with a face we don't know as the "villain".

For anybody who is saying that they were going to screw this up, it was arguably screwed up the minute they decided to do the first sequel, let alone the sequel where he defeats Communism, and the fifth one. Another sequel can't make things any worse at this point. I think this LAST one is going to be really good.

imported_The Vibesman
10-18-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we're more likely to get a relatively unknown actor than we are to get anybody you named or Roy Jones, Jr. Carl Weathers wasn't all that well known when he did the original, and he's still not all that well known now, despite his appearances in Happy Gilmore and Arrested Development. I think the movie would be better off with a face we don't know as the "villain".

For anybody who is saying that they were going to screw this up, it was arguably screwed up the minute they decided to do the first sequel, let alone the sequel where he defeats Communism, and the fifth one. Another sequel can't make things any worse at this point. I think this LAST one is going to be really good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the first Rocky was made on a budget of 1 million dollars, and it was necessary to use unknowns (and relatives and close friends) due to the money. I imagine there will be a few dollars more involved in this, plus the notiriety of being in a Rocky movie. I don't think it matters who the actor is, if Stallone can write a good script the movie will probably be good.

Oh, and I don't see how you can say Weathers isn't well known now, after the blockbuster hit "Action Jackson."

MasterShakes
10-18-2005, 12:45 PM
One other thing...

At least Adrian is apparently dead in this one, and we won't have her screaming at him about how he can't fight anymore. At least that's what I gather from the story above. Talia Shire will only be around to play her in flashbacks.

samjjones
10-18-2005, 12:48 PM
Works for me. I can see Rocky trying to bond with his son (perhaps alienated after Adrian's death?) serving as the emotional center of the story in lieu of Adrian's presence.

trying2learn
10-18-2005, 12:50 PM
i think this film will need less of the kid as well...unless his son has become a better actor since then.

imported_The Vibesman
10-18-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One other thing...

At least Adrian is apparently dead in this one, and we won't have her screaming at him about how he can't fight anymore. At least that's what I gather from the story above. Talia Shire will only be around to play her in flashbacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of a disappointment. Isn't the highlight of every Rocky since the first the part where Adrian says, "You can't win!"

Biggest wet-blanket movie wife ever. If Rocky went to the store for eggs, she'd be like, "You know the car will break down, or you'll have no money, or the eggs will break, and then what? Then what? Then we're alone with nothing, no eggs. You can't win!"

MasterShakes
10-18-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think this film will need less of the kid as well...unless his son has become a better actor since then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. For being an actual father/son team, they had absolutely no chemistry at all in that movie.

diebitter
10-18-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Biggest wet-blanket movie wife ever. If Rocky went to the store for eggs, she'd be like, "You know the car will break down, or you'll have no money, or the eggs will break, and then what? Then what? Then we're alone with nothing, no eggs. You can't win!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought she was a highly authentic wife, actually.

jakethebake
10-18-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One other thing...

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of a disappointment. Isn't the highlight of every Rocky since the first the part where Adrian says, "You can't win!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that's why she's dead and why there was such a long gap after Rocky V. He murdered her and has been in prison.

samjjones
10-18-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One other thing...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
True. But the "glass is full" view is that after said speech, kick ass training montage is imminent. It is a symbiotic relationship.

utmt40
10-18-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One other thing...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that's why she's dead and why there was such a long gap after Rocky V. He murdered her and has been in prison.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jake you are terrible...

Blarg
10-18-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Roy Jones Jr.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That link says it's just "talks," so let's not get our hopes up yet. Roy would be a great choice though. He's so well known to boxing fans it will help give the movie some credibility, and he's the right size.

Stupid trivia time: Heavyweight fighter Ken Norton Sr. was originally set to play Apollo Creed in Rocky, but it was eventually decided that they needed a smaller actor, as Norton, as well as any man built like a heavyweight made Stallone look even smaller than Stallone was, about 5-10, 160-170 lbs if I remember correctly. Jones is not a true heavyweight, but he's still big enough to look sufficiently menacing to Balboa, while not completely dwarfing Stallone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen Stallone described as either 5'6 or 5'7, but mostly 5'6.

utmt40
10-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Mickey: You know, kid, I know how you feel about this fight that's comin' up, because I was young once too. And I tell you somethin': Well, if you wasn't here, I probably wouldn't be alive today. The fact that you're here and doin' as well as you're doin' gives me, what do you call it, a "motivization" huh, to stay alive? 'Cause I think that people die sometimes when they don't wanna live no more.

Blarg
10-18-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Oh, and I don't see how you can say Weathers isn't well known now, after the blockbuster hit "Action Jackson."

[/ QUOTE ]

He said Weathers wasn't known before Rocky. Action Jackson came much later.

Phoenix1010
10-18-2005, 01:59 PM
Ehh. I'm thinking they could either go the Million Dollar Baby way or the Cinderella Man way. The problem is that both of those ideas have been done, and done really well, very recently. Rocky's popularity isn't going to be enough to make us just forget about that. If they manage to make something completely new out of this premise, I'll be surprised, but it's what they'll have to do to avoid being an echo. I'd like to see this movie work though, because my heart can't take another series killing sequel.

Blarg
10-18-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jones was in talks to do this three years ago...don't know if that's still the plan or not.

The good news is - he's got no boxing career left, so he's available.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was part of the contract that if Antonio Tarver won the third match, he would get the picture, too.

imported_The Vibesman
10-18-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe this got a serious (?) reply...but he said:

[ QUOTE ]
Carl Weathers wasn't all that well known when he did the original, and he's still not all that well known now

[/ QUOTE ]

Nit that I am I did research on the height issue. You're right, he's more like 5'7"; he's listed on IMDB as 5'10", and on movie-times.com as 5'9" but I found this article on short actors who disguise their height and it puts him at 5'7". I didn't know Pacino was only 5'6"...

"Short" story (http://www.eagletribune.com/news/stories/20021219/LI_001.htm)

I also didn't know that Stallone's trademark "sneer" is caused by a screw-up with forceps during his birth which paralyzed the bottom left part of his face, leaving him with the sneer and slurred speech.

Phoenix1010
10-18-2005, 02:15 PM
You guessed it...

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/8798/afrasta833sl.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Blarg
10-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Screenwriter William Goldman notes, in his sequel to Adventures in the Screen Trade(I forget the name), that Stallone isn't a hair over 5'6. That's where I remember reading it specifically.

10-18-2005, 03:43 PM
A dark rainy early winter’s night reveals an out of shape despondent Rocky Balboa, living alone in a shitty studio apartment looking out the window reflecting on the death of his beloved wife, and his glory days. This should take about a half-hour to catch everyone up to speed.

A new hotshot champion is questioned if he’s the best ever, and Rocky’s name eventually gets thrown in. After 15min, Rocky’s frail ego takes him to a local gym. He’s laughed at, as he can’t even beat their top amateur.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, and Rocky starts to train real hard and get a new trainer who starts to believe in him, and essentially becomes his new Adrienne. This should take about 30min.

Next, we get to watch Rocky get the [censored] beat out him for a good while, and perhaps for dramatic closure, die in the ring. Whatever… I’ll wait for HBO to show it.

tek
10-18-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...leaving him with the sneer and slurred speech.

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't sneer so much and he actually speaks pretty well these day. He also seems to have upped an octave.

This is based on his Contender appearances plus his cameo last season in Las Vegas on NBC.

imported_The Vibesman
10-18-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...leaving him with the sneer and slurred speech.

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't sneer so much and he actually speaks pretty well these day. He also seems to have upped an octave.

This is based on his Contender appearances plus his cameo last season in Las Vegas on NBC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, definitely. He's probably worked with a speech therapist, and was perhaps even able to get the paralyzed portion of his face helped surgically.

A friend of mine told me a story about watching Stallone tell a story in an interview. Stallone talked about meeting a fan who sounded like Rocky Balboa, and how this fan came up to him and said, "Hey, yo, Sly, ya know, lotsa my pals, dey say I talk like youse!" Stallone looked at him for a moment and answered in his best, clear-as-day current diction: "My friend...they lied."

He was also asked (perhaps in a different interview), what was your favorite and least favorite movie you have made. Stallone answered "Rocky" as the favorite, for all it meant to him then and since. When pressed on the one he really didn't like, he said, "Well, 'Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot' is like a bleeding ulcer that I wake up with some mornings that won't go away."

utmt40
10-18-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A dark rainy early winter’s night reveals an out of shape despondent Rocky Balboa, living alone in a shitty studio apartment looking out the window reflecting on the death of his beloved wife, and his glory days. This should take about a half-hour to catch everyone up to speed.

A new hotshot champion is questioned if he’s the best ever, and Rocky’s name eventually gets thrown in. After 15min, Rocky’s frail ego takes him to a local gym. He’s laughed at, as he can’t even beat their top amateur.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, and Rocky starts to train real hard and get a new trainer who starts to believe in him, and essentially becomes his new Adrienne. This should take about 30min.

Next, we get to watch Rocky get the [censored] beat out him for a good while, and perhaps for dramatic closure, die in the ring. Whatever… I’ll wait for HBO to show it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats terrible my friend...

bernie
10-18-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I liked lots of Judge Dredd too. And I definitely respect how Stallone came out of nowhere with Rocky. I thought it would be crap, but it was impossible not to like. It was definitely solid.

Oh, and I think Burt Young not winning the Oscar the first time around was a big mistake. He was great, and better than Burgess Meredith.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree. Rocky is my all time Fav flick. But when Rocky first fought Creed he was in his 30s. It's getting a little long in the tooth now.

fwiw, I think they did try that reflective trainer thing in Rocky 5. It could've obvoiusly been done much better.

Million Dollar Baby kicked ass.

b

bernie
10-18-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Mason 'the line' Dixon"?!

that's just embarrassing. here's hoping the movie goes up from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that is kinda lame.

b

samjjones
10-18-2005, 04:33 PM
Boxing nicknames are pretty terrible in real-life nowawdays, too.

bernie
10-18-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Roy Jones Jr.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So Jones gets to get knocked out.....again?

Typecasting? haha

b

bernie
10-18-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom Cruise tends to work with shorter/smaller actors also for the same reason.

b

bernie
10-18-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is absolutely correct...I think Jones could potentially nail this part.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the way Courtney Love nailed her part as a drug addict in People v. Larry Flint? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

b

bernie
10-18-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All I remember from Action Jackson was how hot Vanity looked. YUM!

b

bernie
10-18-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought she was a highly authentic wife, actually.

[/ QUOTE ]

bernie
10-18-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You guessed it...

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/8798/afrasta833sl.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean he could revive the character he played in the 1st Rocky?

b

bernie
10-18-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree, he is talented. The first 4 Rocky's show this, as do First Blood and Paradise Alley - but he does put himself up for crap.

And I liked Judge Dredd, even with the mangling of the comic book mythos. If he'd have kept on the helmet and been the 'first 10 minutes' Dredd all the way through, it would have been awesome, I reckon.

[/ QUOTE ]

What!?! No mention of Lords of Flatbush!?! Blasphemy, I say!!

One thing about Stallone that I've always liked is he never has come across like a hollywood premadonna. He always seems, for the most part and especially in comparison to others, pretty down to earth.

His first wife was smokin' hot too.

b

ddubois
10-18-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Amen. For being an actual father/son team, they had absolutely no chemistry at all in that movie.

[/ QUOTE ]
Holy [censored], that was his actual son?!

Blarg
10-18-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All I remember from Action Jackson was how hot Vanity looked. YUM!

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, she and Appolonia were unbelievably sexy. Sheena E. wasn't bad either, though I think she was a lesbo, making my fantasies even more absurd than usual.

Duke
10-18-2005, 06:25 PM
Stallone should concentrate on 19 more seasons of The Contender. That's the only reality series I watched more than one episode of.

~D

MasterShakes
10-18-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Holy [censored], that was his actual son?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

samjjones
10-18-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stallone should concentrate on 19 more seasons of The Contender. That's the only reality series I watched more than one episode of.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]
Done deal. Its moving to ESPN next year.

MasterShakes
10-18-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this statement is ignorant or naive, but the thing that turns me off about the Contender is this: if the boxers were any good, wouldn't they just make it without the show anyway? Why do I want to watch fighters that would get chewed up by actual pros?

astroglide
10-18-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe this statement is ignorant or naive, but the thing that turns me off about the Contender is this: if the boxers were any good, wouldn't they just make it without the show anyway? Why do I want to watch fighters that would get chewed up by actual pros?

[/ QUOTE ]

the fighters were 'up and comers' in amateur boxing, with real records. many had fought each other the past. they could certainly benefit from the direction and training offered to them, perhaps enough to motivate them to take it to the next level when it might not have otherwise been possible (job committments, feeling of impossibility, lack of money, etc).

i think it was close to being a great show.

MasterShakes
10-18-2005, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the fighters were 'up and comers' in amateur boxing, with real records. many had fought each other the past. they could certainly benefit from the direction and training offered to them, perhaps enough to motivate them to take it to the next level when it might not have otherwise been possible (job committments, feeling of impossibility, lack of money, etc).

i think it was close to being a great show.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was completely unaware of that... I might look into it on DVD.

Blarg
10-18-2005, 07:10 PM
Why is the show moving to ESPN? I mean, are they getting better money, or is it something else?

[censored]
10-18-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why is the show moving to ESPN? I mean, are they getting better money, or is it something else?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was my understanding that NBC did not renew it. The audience was not large enough for a major network prime time slot but that same audience would be extremely good for a cable network.

Blarg
10-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Wow, I'm surprised. I had thought the show was really popular, probably because I read OOT and boxing sites and they always talked it up. Next thing you're gonna tell me is that SIIHP isn't universally thought of as a laff riot.

ddubois
10-18-2005, 08:14 PM
In one way, that explains why the acting was so bad. The casting director couldn't exactly speak up and have him replaced with the complaint: "Hey, we should replace that awful kid with someone who can act like they love you", lest he risk losing his career.

Unabridged
10-18-2005, 08:35 PM
There better be another kick ass street brawl

SomethingClever
10-18-2005, 09:27 PM
I think it's actually a decent concept for the franchise.

Think about it... a realistically worn down Rocky looks back at his life, misses the glory, just wants to fight a few side fights to relive it all... out of the limelight.

Then someone gets wind... starts whipping up Rocky's comeback as a huge PR thing.... coerces Rocky to participate. It all ends tragically.

It could be good.

10-19-2005, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats terrible my friend...

[/ QUOTE ]

No argument from me; enjoy your popcorn.