PDA

View Full Version : Taxi Driver, Matchstick Men, East of Eden, or other?

10-18-2005, 01:24 AM
My roomate has tons of movies, and I have never seen Taxi driver, East of Eden, or Matchstick Men before. I have heard good things about Taxi Driver, but I'm not sure its what I'm in the mood for. I'm not sure I want to see matchstick men because I'm sure it will turn into a "who can out con who" movie, and East of Eden just sounds and looks to old for me. I know, I'm sure its a classic. If you have any other suggestions, I'm sure he's probably got it.

imported_anacardo
10-18-2005, 01:25 AM
Taxi Driver oughta put everybody in that friendly gambling mood.

Sponger15SB
10-18-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, seemed relevant for some reason cuase i was writing it while playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well as long as you've learned your lesson /images/graemlins/grin.gif

10-18-2005, 01:31 AM
Sorry, seemed relevant for some reason cuase i was writing it while playing.

SCfuji
10-18-2005, 01:35 AM
matchstick men

ripdog
10-18-2005, 01:48 AM
Midnight Express

smokingrobot
10-18-2005, 01:48 AM
taxi driver.

pryor15
10-18-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have never seen Taxi driver

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. i feel sorry for you.

diebitter
10-18-2005, 02:38 AM
Really? I sort feel jealous, what a treat this guy's got in store!

handsome
10-18-2005, 02:54 AM
Matchstick Men was really good.. it's arguably up there with Fight Club, Ocean's Eleven and the like.

Ponks
10-18-2005, 04:01 AM
I love Matchstick Men.

Ponks

Aytumious
10-18-2005, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I love Matchstick Men.

[/ QUOTE ]

ChipWrecked
10-18-2005, 04:14 AM
Matchstick Men goot.

KaneKungFu123
10-18-2005, 07:28 AM
taxi driver is boring. go with matchstick men.

Blarg
10-18-2005, 08:29 AM
Taxi Driver is a great movie. This is a must-see.

If you're lucky enough to have the version with the Paul Schrader(the writer) interview on it, check it out, it's chilling. He describes all the Taxi Driver obssessed fans who related it strongly to their own lives, including one scary one who comes into his office and says, "How did you know about me?"

Sometimes I think Holden Caulfield grew up into Travis Bickle.

KaneKungFu123
10-18-2005, 08:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I think Holden Caulfield grew up into Travis Bickle.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you are way off here.

Blarg
10-18-2005, 08:34 AM
You think Taxi Driver is boring, which is amazing and just wrong. I don't think you "get" the movie, and it sounds like you don't get where I'm going with the comparison, either.

imported_The Vibesman
10-18-2005, 08:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't you have been logged in as bad advice guy when you posted this?

Taxi Driver's a fantastic movie. I actually haven't seen Matchstick Men, I generally avoid Nic Cage when I can. East of Eden is the old James Dean movie? I've never seen it but it's supposed to be a classic. I say either Taxi Driver or East of Eden.

KaneKungFu123
10-18-2005, 08:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You think Taxi Driver is boring, which is amazing and just wrong. I don't think you "get" the movie, and it sounds like you don't get where I'm going with the comparison, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are being a dick telling me that I didn't "get" Taxi Driver. Maybe it didn't have the same effect on me that it did on you, but that doesn't mean that I didn't understand what the film was trying to express.

The comparison of Holden to Travis Bickle is completely absurd. How did you come to that conclusion?

pudley4
10-18-2005, 08:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
matchstick men is boring. go with taxi driver.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

Blarg
10-18-2005, 08:58 AM
I think you are being overly defensive if you think that someone saying you don't get something defines them as a dick. Being a dick requires more than suggesting your understanding of something might be flawed. And I think if you had a better understanding of the movie, you would both like it better and not be bored with it.

I'm not going to go into an elaborate or even a minimal comparison between Caulfield and Bickle because I think there are clear parallels that it's more fun to think about yourself than to get spoonfed.

KaneKungFu123
10-18-2005, 09:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to go into an elaborate or even a minimal comparison between Caulfield and Bickle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good. I wont have to waste time absolutely destroying your comparison.

Georgia Avenue
10-18-2005, 09:27 AM
Not to hijack the thread but this:
[ QUOTE ]
I generally avoid Nic Cage when I can.

[/ QUOTE ] is just plain bizarre. We otherwise seem to be identical Vibes...what did littleNikky do to make you sad? Was it the Rock? Was it Dumbo Drop? He wasn't in that!

NC is a truly great actor who went on a money-grubbing action tear. Seriously, just Wild At Heart and Adaptation alone make up for any of his other sins...plus...He's a Copolla!

(Edit: Matchstick Men, however, is kindof a turd. See Taxi Driver.)

samjjones
10-18-2005, 09:36 AM
I can't believe all of the recommendations for Matchstick Men. It is an okay movie, but you have to be retarted or a moran not to see the twist coming a mile away. Taxi Driver is one of those touchstone films that you must experience in your lifetime.

sfer
10-18-2005, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are being a dick telling me that I didn't "get" Taxi Driver. Maybe it didn't have the same effect on me that it did on you, but that doesn't mean that I didn't understand what the film was trying to express.

The comparison of Holden to Travis Bickle is completely absurd. How did you come to that conclusion?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really not absurd at all. There's a reason John Hinkley Jr had multiple copies of Catcher In the Rye and was obssessed with the Jodie Foster character.

Blarg
10-18-2005, 09:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to go into an elaborate or even a minimal comparison between Caulfield and Bickle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good. I wont have to waste time absolutely destroying your comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you certainly showed me!

ChipWrecked
10-18-2005, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't you have been logged in as bad advice guy when you posted this?

Taxi Driver's a fantastic movie. I actually haven't seen Matchstick Men, I generally avoid Nic Cage when I can. East of Eden is the old James Dean movie? I've never seen it but it's supposed to be a classic. I say either Taxi Driver or East of Eden.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP did say he might not be 'in the mood' for Taxi Driver, which is a legit statement to me. Kind of heavy fare if you just want to kick back for a couple hours. MM would be perfect in this case. Unless you hate Nic Cage of course.

WDC
10-18-2005, 09:48 AM
If it is the James Dean East of Eden then watch it. There are too few opportunities to see James Dean.

imported_The Vibesman
10-18-2005, 09:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not to hijack the thread but this:
[ QUOTE ]
I generally avoid Nic Cage when I can.

[/ QUOTE ] is just plain bizarre. We otherwise seem to be identical Vibes...what did littleNikky do to make you sad? Was it the Rock? Was it Dumbo Drop? He wasn't in that!

NC is a truly great actor who went on a money-grubbing action tear. Seriously, just Wild At Heart and Adaptation alone make up for any of his other sins...plus...He's a Copolla!

(Edit: Matchstick Men, however, is kindof a turd. See Taxi Driver.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, partly because I really want to like Raising Arizona, but I can't stand him in it. One of the first movies I saw him in was Peggy Sue Got Married, and he was terrible in that, chewing the scenery constantly (I really wasn't wild about the movie anyway). The Rock was really bad. I saw Face/Off because of the John Woo, and couldn't stand him in that. Couldn't stand him in 8MM. In Adaptation I liked him as the stupid brother but couldn't stand the smart one. I didn't see Wild At Heart. I don't know, just something about him rubs me the wrong way.

jakethebake
10-18-2005, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
NC is a truly great actor...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm wondering if my sarcasm meter is broken. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

ChipWrecked
10-18-2005, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Rock was really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought I was the only person with this opinion. Relied too much on MTV fast-cut edits and not enough plot.

Blarg
10-18-2005, 10:00 AM
I liked Peggy Sue. And I thought Nick rose to excellence in Leaving Las Vegas.

Georgia Avenue
10-18-2005, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No sarcasm intended...I really believe this and many other cockamamie things.

Seriously, edit out most of the last 7 years or so...
# Bringing Out the Dead (1999) .... Frank Pierce
# 8MM (1999) .... Tom Welles
# Snake Eyes (1998) .... Rick Santoro
# City of Angels (1998) .... Seth
# Leaving Las Vegas (1995) .... Ben Sanderson
# Kiss of Death (1995/I) .... Little Junior Brown
# Honeymoon in Vegas (1992) .... Jack Singer
# Red Rock West (1992) .... Michael Williams
# Wild at Heart (1990) .... Sailor Ripley
# Vampire's Kiss (1989) .... Peter Loew
# Moonstruck (1987) .... Ronny Cammareri
# Raising Arizona (1987) .... H.I. McDonnough
# Peggy Sue Got Married (1986) .... Charlie Bodell
# Birdy (1984) .... Sergeant Al Columbato
# Racing with the Moon (1984) .... Nicky/Bud
# Rumble Fish (1983) .... Smokey
# Valley Girl (1983) .... Randy

All really great movies...and again: Wild At Heart , Raising Arizona, Adaptation are 3 of my favorite movies, largely thanks to his overthetop mania. Once you accept that he's not a subtle facial tics kinda actor, he's more of a broad Peter Lorre-style mugger, you can love him dearly.

jakethebake
10-18-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No sarcasm intended...I really believe this and many other cockamamie things.

Seriously, edit out most of the last 7 years or so...
# Bringing Out the Dead (1999) .... Frank Pierce
# 8MM (1999) .... Tom Welles
# Snake Eyes (1998) .... Rick Santoro
# City of Angels (1998) .... Seth
# Leaving Las Vegas (1995) .... Ben Sanderson
# Kiss of Death (1995/I) .... Little Junior Brown
# Honeymoon in Vegas (1992) .... Jack Singer
# Red Rock West (1992) .... Michael Williams
# Wild at Heart (1990) .... Sailor Ripley
# Vampire's Kiss (1989) .... Peter Loew
# Moonstruck (1987) .... Ronny Cammareri
# Raising Arizona (1987) .... H.I. McDonnough
# Peggy Sue Got Married (1986) .... Charlie Bodell
# Birdy (1984) .... Sergeant Al Columbato
# Racing with the Moon (1984) .... Nicky/Bud
# Rumble Fish (1983) .... Smokey
# Valley Girl (1983) .... Randy

All really great movies...and again: Wild At Heart , Raising Arizona, Adaptation are 3 of my favorite movies, largely thanks to his overthetop mania. Once you accept that he's not a subtle facial tics kinda actor, he's more of a broad Peter Lorre-style mugger, you can love him dearly.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize he played the same role in almost every one of those? It's basically stand around scowling with his mouth hanging open for two hours. Thanks for the Birdy reminder though. I need to watch that again. Haven't seen it in years, and it was very good as I recall.

imported_The Vibesman
10-18-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I liked Peggy Sue. And I thought Nick rose to excellence in Leaving Las Vegas.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to admit, he was very good in that.