PDA

View Full Version : suited connectors hit middle pair

emitch
10-17-2005, 11:38 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Table is very loose and I have only seen one raise besides mine in about 50 hands, so the limp is not as bad as it looks although i should not have done it. Other than that, what do you think of this line?

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $0.75. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP2 (poster) checks, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, CO checks.

I paired up but would probably have folded to a bet here due to pot odds. Implied odd may have gotten me there, but my pair can also be easily counterfieted (SP?). But lucky me, it checks through.

Turn: (2.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Good card for me, no one has the jack and my card is second pair, kicker sucks though. Get a bet and this is where I have one of my main questions. Is raising the right thing to do? With this table, I was 80% sure I had the best pair here, my only concern was my kicker. I felt I could drive out the other players with this bet?

River: (6.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Very weak on my part, or is this one of the "you only get called with hands that beat you".

Final Pot: 6.75 BB

Comments appreciated.

mitch

tyler_cracker
10-18-2005, 01:48 AM
Preflop is fine with the dead money in there from the posters.

On the flop, you've got some dirty two pair/trip outs, a BDFD, and a couple crappy BDSDs. I give you an unscientific 6 outs, so the pot isn't big enough to chase. But you could also have the best hand here. Since i would probably peel one here, you may as well bet and see what happens. You might get rid of some overcards, you might buy the button, or you might get a free card on the turn.

As you played it, the turn raise is okay, as maybe a better hand folds (TT/99, weak J), and you get a free showdown if you want it. I would still rather bet the flop while betting is cheap than invest 2BB on the turn to win 3.75BB.

I might throw another bet out on the river. Your turn raise gave you some fold equity, and that river has to be scary for your opponent. Obviously, reads would help. If you think Villain will call down with a weak J, just check behind and take your free showdown.

hobbsmann
10-18-2005, 02:33 AM
you need to bet this flop as you likely have the best hand.

Turn raise isn't bad as played though.

J. Stew
10-18-2005, 03:26 AM
I like a flop check. We have a mediocre hand on a somewhat coordinated board which we may want to lay down if there's a lot of action behind us. If the eights are good our hand is vunereable to overcards and draws.

The turn is good I think. Since everyone checked the chance that we have the best hand is better and a raise could knock out players with our vunerable hand.

The river he could be checking a hand that beats you or be checking a K6 or 55's, it's hard to know so a check behind him seems good. I like it.

10-18-2005, 04:21 AM
Bet that flop!

The way you played I think raising the turn is good.

Bet the river.

10-18-2005, 05:25 AM
Grunching...

Preflop/Flop/Turn: Standard

River: Bet it. I think your analysis sums it up.

Good post!

POKhER
10-18-2005, 05:45 AM
The turn raise i see may cause two problems:
We may behind a strong ace(A8/K8 etc) or we may be behind a weak jack(j2/j3).

After you raise the turn, i instantly put you on what i assume will be a weak jack or strong 8(you'd bet the flop with strong jack).

Trouble is, Villan wont 3bet nor bet the river if he has a weak jack. Nor will he fold unless things kicker off big time.

So your raising is most likly for value if anything, and even then you may lose. Unfortunatly due to position you couldn't bet the flop really (MP2/CO could have held jacks, Raised etc and your OOP vs them).

So i think you played it ok, but i also think a weak jack may have called you down.

POKhER