PDA

View Full Version : Joined a Limit sng, what do I do!?!?!

TruFloridaGator
10-17-2005, 10:40 PM
help!

MegaBet
10-17-2005, 10:40 PM
Try to win it?

SCfuji
10-17-2005, 10:42 PM
dont worry half the table is filled with people like yourself, except they will spew until they are dead. so if you get a hand get some of those chips and sit tight until when the blinds are 50/100 or so and then open up your game.

TruFloridaGator
10-17-2005, 10:42 PM
...eh, I'd rather just auto raise no matter what pre flop & post flop on all streets & give away all my chips... Winning is not an option

Fletch46
10-17-2005, 10:45 PM
I made this mistake once with Omaha. Didn't realize until I got 4 cards. Came second but I know it was a fluke. I've since read up on Omaha and am pretty sure I made every mistake in the book. The poker gods were with me that night.

Gomez22
10-17-2005, 10:48 PM
GAP principle is about all you need here (and an understanding of basic SNG strategy, if it's not a large buy-in)

Nicholasp27
10-17-2005, 10:53 PM
i've done that before and went on to win it

play your sng game...by the time the blinds are huge, raising pf isn't much different than pushing pf...they'll fold many hands

MegaBet
10-17-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I made this mistake once with Omaha. Didn't realize until I got 4 cards. Came second but I know it was a fluke. I've since read up on Omaha and am pretty sure I made every mistake in the book. The poker gods were with me that night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that goes for some of the people at the NL Hold'em SNGs I've played with /images/graemlins/grin.gif

brimstone1
10-17-2005, 10:55 PM
Push!

Oh wai...

good luck /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SlackerMcFly
10-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Ha! NH. Hate when that happens (no pushing allowed).

Perhaps just play mid-pairs and suited connectors from MP. Limp into a lot of pots from those positions and play decent hands aggressively around the button.

HE is fun if you have some patience. If not, it's (as Cleinen says) "Your punishment for bad NL play".....

Good luck!

lacky
10-17-2005, 11:07 PM
hmmm...play poker? Am I missing something here.

Steve

pokerdirty
10-17-2005, 11:14 PM
put it on away and fold into the money.

Skipbidder
10-17-2005, 11:19 PM
If it isn't worth it for you to try to win this SNG, then I think you are playing way too low (even with multi-tabling). It's not as if you can't have other tables open too.

Play a little poker.

It's not as if you accidentally opened a stud table (which would require a lot of attention to play even a half-ass game).

If you already had your answer...that you weren't going to play to win, then why'd you ask?

jb9
10-17-2005, 11:23 PM
checkraise the turn

bawcerelli
10-18-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
checkraise the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

and then check through the river if you're called.

seriously, i've played a few of the limit tourneys and find there's no reason to wait until the blinds are big before you play. just aggro it up at the right times, build a small chip lead and keep the pressure on.

Blarg
10-18-2005, 07:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If it isn't worth it for you to try to win this SNG, then I think you are playing way too low (even with multi-tabling). It's not as if you can't have other tables open too.

Play a little poker.

It's not as if you accidentally opened a stud table (which would require a lot of attention to play even a half-ass game).

If you already had your answer...that you weren't going to play to win, then why'd you ask?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just opened a stud tourney without thinking about the amount of attention 7 stud takes yesterday, and won it. The truth is, most people at these games, at least at the low levels, are mostly used to no limit hold'em, so even if you're not good at a game like limit hold'em or 7-stud, you might not be as far behind as you think.

Cactus Jack
10-18-2005, 09:31 AM
I guess I'm confused, too. Limit tournaments are a piece of cake. They just take too long. Anyone who can win NL surely has to be a favorite at fixed.

I've done the Omaha thing, too. Talk about being dropped on an alien planet. I didn't have the first clue. I just playing super-LAG until they had all my chips, which took a lot longer than I thought it would. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

CJ

pokerdirty
10-18-2005, 09:35 AM
we need a report of what happened. post HHs and pics of hot chicks.

jba
10-18-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'm confused, too. Limit tournaments are a piece of cake. They just take too long. Anyone who can win NL surely has to be a favorite at fixed.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is the average duration of a NL tournament? by that I mean not one that you win, just the avg time you spend playing them with a decent ITM?

just curious because I have seen this complaint about limit SNGs and haven't noticed a big difference.

FlyWf
10-18-2005, 04:19 PM
As I have a 81% lifetime ROI in limit SNGs, I feel qualified to say that I don't think they take much longer than NL. The rate of attrition of players is slower early, but it picks up pretty quickly as you see 7 people with less than 5 big bets apiece. I'd say an 800 chip limit tourney should take 5-10 minutes longer than an 800 chip NL.

jba
10-18-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As I have a 81% lifetime ROI in limit SNGs, I feel qualified to say that I don't think they take much longer than NL. The rate of attrition of players is slower early, but it picks up pretty quickly as you see 7 people with less than 5 big bets apiece. I'd say an 800 chip limit tourney should take 5-10 minutes longer than an 800 chip NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the anecdote but I was looking for something more scientific. with 1000 chips on the party structure my avg duration is 29 mins over ~500 tourneys. I have no idea how this compares to NL format in the same structure, but on these boards I'm sure this can be answered very quickly. my 29 mins number is based on the SNG spreadsheet so someone with a decent 55+ sample size can answer this once and for all.

AA suited
10-18-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...eh, I'd rather just auto raise no matter what pre flop & post flop on all streets & give away all my chips... Winning is not an option

[/ QUOTE ]

did that at lvl4, except doubled up!

i had ak, he had aj. we kept on betting like we both had the nuts. we both missed the board and i won w/King kicker.

also, a raise in limit is basically a min raise to me. i called them all when i was bb since i basically wrote off this tourny. but i got some incredible flops.

i went on to win it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

love that PokerTracker stat of 354.55% ROI /images/graemlins/cool.gif