PDA

View Full Version : Theory post: KK Preflop in BB versus SB

Malachii
10-17-2005, 07:53 PM
You're in the BB with K /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif... action is folded around to the SB who raises to 4x the BB.

Do you call or reraise if the SB is an aggressive player who will raise your BB frequently with a wider range of hands?
Do you call or reraise if the SB is a more passive player preflop who will reraise with a narrower range of hands?

I'll post my thoughts later but I wanted to hear what other had to say first.

10-17-2005, 07:58 PM
raise raise raise

any type of opponent

Malachii
10-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Is it that simple Hotpants? Ignore metagame considerations, assume this is $100 NL and you'll never see any of these donkeys again.

10-17-2005, 08:06 PM
well, at first I thought maybe against a total maniac who is itching to bluff his whole stack off to you, maybe a flat call is good, but I figure these guys will call your raise anyway, and if they hit any piece of the board will probably think "ah-HA! your overcards are no good BET BET BET", and so you call them down.

Malachii
10-17-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I figure these guys will call your raise anyway

[/ QUOTE ] We do play on different sites, but this is what I'm getting at. Against a more passive player with tighter raising standards I think a reraise preflop is definitely correct, but in my experience at the $100 games on Party preflop reraises in a SB/BB battle have an awesome amount of fold equity... I would much rather reraise preflop with something like 78o than KK. Infact, one of my standard plays for someone who consistently raises my BB out of the SB is to reraise them with any two the third time they do it because the play has so much fold equity.

IggyWH
10-17-2005, 08:12 PM
If I think they're just aggressive in trying to steal my blind, I smooth call. I a reraise might just make them give up at that point. If they do call, they're checking that flop. If I just call, they'll have to make a pass at the flop and with you having position, that's 1 more bet that you'll get out of them.

If it's a maniac, I'm reraising knowing that they'll call preflop and it's still possible they try and bet the flop.

10-17-2005, 08:39 PM
I think we might be ignoring the possibility that SB actually has a hand. In the event SB has a hand, he may put you on nothing and think you put him on nothing. Basically, it could get it all there, without having to take a flop, possibly killing the action. I don't know if what I just said makes sense, but I think reraising makes the hand alot easier to play.