PDA

View Full Version : Protocal for tipping Valet.s (sorry bout the 500th tipping thread)

ISF
10-17-2005, 07:50 PM
I have a parking garage in my building which is valet. Its in manhattan if that matters. I pick the car up every day at the same time what type of tip here is standard.
I have had a car in the city for a while, but this if the first time I have used it regularly. When I used it infrequently I always tipped like 5 or so. I see some of the regulars tip, and some dont. Aa well I pay 325 a month to park it if that changes anything.

Freakin
10-17-2005, 07:52 PM
$2 per pickup is absolutely ok in this situation. No need to tip for when you park the car.

JihadOnTheRiver
10-17-2005, 07:56 PM
I'm pretty sure protocol here allows (not dictates) for you to forego all tipping every time, and replace it with a monthly tip and perhaps an holiday bonus tip. At least thats what my friend does with a similar situation, and he says thats pretty standard for the whole complex. But, he doesn't pay anything monthly if that makes a difference to you.

Steel Aces
10-18-2005, 01:21 AM
If they REQUIRE valet, with no alternative to park it yourself, then I don't think you are required to tip. If you choose to valet, then a daily tip of $2 is fine. God, that pisses me off. The reason why they make you valet it is so they can cram more cars and in make more $$. They can pay the valet guys out of the extra $$. I know it probably doesn't not work out that way for the valet guys, but on principal, I would have a hard time paying extra for it, especially at $325/mo.