PDA

View Full Version : AIM name, not phone number?

BobboFitos
10-17-2005, 05:04 PM
I was in a coffeeshop around 1 or so today and got into a nice conversation with this hot girl in the corner. So we talk for a while, it's rolling, and I ask her for her number. She doesn't give it to me, (she had her phone right there) but gives me her AIM name. wtf does this mean?

pokerdirty
10-17-2005, 05:04 PM
nerd alert!

PoBoy321
10-17-2005, 05:05 PM
It means that AIM has become a perfectly normal, acceptable means of communication.

IndieMatty
10-17-2005, 05:06 PM
What exactly did she say when you asked her for her number?

BobboFitos
10-17-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It means that AIM has become a perfectly normal, acceptable means of communication.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, that seems like a good answer, just thought it was peculiar.

BobboFitos
10-17-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

she said, "well, how about I give you my AIM name?"

I wasnt about to say, "no, thats not cool, buh bye"

so I said, "err, sure." [somewhat paraphrased! /images/graemlins/smile.gif ]

gildwulf
10-17-2005, 05:10 PM
She probably likes you but is unsure if you are sketchy or not.

Voltron87
10-17-2005, 05:12 PM
this kind of depends on what exactly she said. if you say the equivalent of "so can i get your number so we can hang out sometime" and she right away says "oh my aim is mrsbobbofitos" then its not weird. if she kind of hesitates and thinks about giving you her cell # but gives you the aim name instead then its a little weird.

BobboFitos
10-17-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She probably likes you but is unsure if you are sketchy or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blah, you're probably right. it's not like i told her i'd sell her drugs via phone

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-17-2005, 05:13 PM
To me, this mostly means that I'm glad I'm through with all this bullshit.

BobboFitos
10-17-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this kind of depends on what exactly she said. if you say the equivalent of "so can i get your number so we can hang out sometime" and she right away says "oh my aim is mrsbobbofitos" then its not weird. if she kind of hesitates and thinks about giving you her cell # but gives you the aim name instead then its a little weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

read my other post, she quickly suggested AIM instead, which is why Im slightly dumbfounded, as this has never happened to me before. normally when i go in to get a girls number, i come out with a number. (except when i dont /images/graemlins/frown.gif )

dtbog
[ QUOTE ]
this kind of depends on what exactly she said. if you say the equivalent of "so can i get your number so we can hang out sometime" and she right away says "oh my aim is mrsbobbofitos"

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...

... rob, is she mrsbobbofitos material?

MightyMouse
onn.

IndieMatty
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

she said, "well, how about I give you my AIM name?"

I wasnt about to say, "no, thats not cool, buh bye"

so I said, "err, sure." [somewhat paraphrased! /images/graemlins/smile.gif ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This has never happened to me, but I've also never asked for a girls phone number sober; sounds feasible. AIM seems so much easier, just don't get into a "Chat Friend" relationship. IM her next time you see her online.

dtbog
10-17-2005, 05:16 PM
I think it's become easier these days to talk on AIM first... it's almost as if calling must be more directed now, because there is another, easier form of communication.

For example.. if she gives you the # and you call her, you'd be presumed to be asking a question when you call. "Calling just to talk" would seem overly aggressive to a lot of girls, whereas IMing for the same purpose wouldn't at all.

BobboFitos
10-17-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this kind of depends on what exactly she said. if you say the equivalent of "so can i get your number so we can hang out sometime" and she right away says "oh my aim is mrsbobbofitos"

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...

... rob, is she mrsbobbofitos material?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL how should i know! Im not looking for a mrsbobbofitos for a whlie

BTW why no AIM for you?

BobboFitos
10-17-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's become easier these days to talk on AIM first... it's almost as if calling must be more directed now, because there is another, easier form of communication.

For example.. if she gives you the # and you call her, you'd be presumed to be asking a question when you call. "Calling just to talk" would seem overly aggressive to a lot of girls, whereas IMing for the same purpose wouldn't at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus all my great "hi," "sup," "nm," convos are so riveting on aim

Voltron87
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

read my other post, she quickly suggested AIM instead, which is why Im slightly dumbfounded, as this has never happened to me before. normally when i go in to get a girls number, i come out with a number. (except when i dont /images/graemlins/frown.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

eh seems ok to me. aim is very standard these days.

also, dtbog: its a play on bobbos real aim name

gildwulf
On a sidenote, One kid at my alma mater broke up with a girl by removing her from his facebook profile (changing 'in a relationship with' to 'single and looking for a, b, and c). He then text msgs her 'it's over'. So pretty much anything goes these days as far as dating is concerned.

MelchyBeau
Get drunk, message her

Melch

dtbog
10-17-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
also, dtbog: its a play on bobbos real aim name

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I know, that's why I found it funny.

dtbog
10-17-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

BTW why no AIM for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm at work..

.. am I still away, or did I get signed off again? Time Warner's been a little bitch lately

dtbog
10-17-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On a sidenote, One kid at my alma mater broke up with a girl by removing her from his facebook profile (changing 'in a relationship with' to 'single and looking for a, b, and c). He then text msgs her 'it's over'. So pretty much anything goes these days as far as dating is concerned.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

What a dick.

jaydub
10-17-2005, 05:23 PM
Next time take her phone and use it to call yours.

Also, you shouldn't settle, if you ask for the number, do not accept less.

danzasmack
10-17-2005, 05:25 PM
she can just block you on AIM if you are a nut job. the whole blocking your phone call things she may not have figured out.

dtbog
10-17-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Next time take her phone and use it to call yours and then go into her purse for a pen while you're at it

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this would go over well.

pokerdirty
10-17-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is awesome. oh man, what did college kids do before facebook?

dibbs
10-17-2005, 05:27 PM
This is incredibly common in meeting girls on campus fwiw.

jaydub
10-17-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Next time take her phone and use it to call yours and then go into her purse for a pen while you're at it

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this would go over well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, if the phone is on the table and you act supremely confident this can be highly effective.

Additionally, if the phone is not on the table saying "hey let me see your cell phone real quick" will often work as well. The key is in the confidence and the total certainty that she will say yes.

mmbt0ne
10-17-2005, 05:29 PM
I'd thank her for it, and then never talk to her again. Super lame.

BobboFitos
10-17-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is incredibly common in meeting girls on campus fwiw.

[/ QUOTE ]

hasnt been my experience, this was also off campus, but ok, sounds good that its mainstream

manpower
10-17-2005, 06:36 PM
I've got a few female friends who've done this before. Every time they did it, it was a blowoff. My sample size is only a handfull however, so take that FWIW.

lu_hawk
10-17-2005, 06:44 PM
She doesn't like you that much but didn't want to be mean and say no number.

10-17-2005, 06:51 PM
u were too straightforward in asking for her phone number..you need TO MAKE her volunteer to give it to you. Towards the end of the convo as you're about to leave, you should just say "hey we should continue this sometime.." and then see what she says...don't go in and grab for her phone number right away....now u've probably scared her off kinda.

don't ever mention phone numbers or anything..just probe her to make the action
fast seduction (http://www.fastseduction.com)

lastsamurai
10-17-2005, 07:09 PM
i think she is worried you might call her 10 times a day... or maybe she has a boyfriend and is looking for somebody on the side... give it a month and if you dont get her number forget it.

TheWorstPlayer
10-17-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus all my great "hi," "sup," "nm," convos are so riveting on aim

[/ QUOTE ]
No [censored]. Also, the proper response was 'Oh cool, you wanna cyber!"

rohjoh
10-17-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was in a coffeeshop around 1 or so today and got into a nice conversation with this hot girl in the corner. So we talk for a while, it's rolling, and I ask her for her number. She doesn't give it to me, (she had her phone right there) but gives me her AIM name. wtf does this mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me her IM, and I will IM her and ask her if she likes you....

10-17-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. If she wanted to get together with you, you would have got the numbers. I give her one shot online, if you still can't get the digits or she isn't open to a get together with you I would fold and leave the game because you're beat.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-17-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. If she wanted to get together with you, you would have got the numbers. I give her one shot online, if you still can't get the digits or she isn't open to a get together with you I would fold and leave the game because you're beat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Also, she wants to be able to log your next pathetic attempt so she can post it to her blog.

peachy
10-17-2005, 07:54 PM
if she gave u her AIM name...i doubt she was "hot"...unless shes 18 or younger maybe

Malachii
10-17-2005, 07:56 PM
What was your opener Bobbo?

MCS
10-17-2005, 07:58 PM
I think you shouldn't ask for numbers. Be like, "So I'd like to see you again." Then if she likes you, she tells you her number. Asking her directly is a common mistake.

Her giving you an AIM SN instead of her number is probably a negative.

10-17-2005, 08:21 PM
If a woman ever does this tell her that you're too busy to sit and talk online. This is good because it makes you actually look like you have a life and that she can't think of you as some nerd that sits online all day (like we know we all do), and it also forces her to give you the digits if she's interested.

BobboFitos
10-17-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Also, she wants to be able to log your next pathetic attempt so she can post it to her blog.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats freakin' fabulous

BobboFitos
10-17-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

She was reading a book. I asked her what she was reading.

He shoots... HE SCORES.

BobboFitos
10-17-2005, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If a woman ever does this tell her that you're too busy to sit and talk online. This is good because it makes you actually look like you have a life and that she can't think of you as some nerd that sits online all day (like we know we all do), and it also forces her to give you the digits if she's interested.

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem is if anything develops she'll realize how much time I do spend online and think I'm a liar.

but i like the idea for when I get out of college and technically shouldn't be spending all my time on aim (but will anyway)

gildwulf
10-17-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He shoots... HE SCORES.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that kind of obvious from the cover?

BobboFitos
10-17-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He shoots... HE SCORES.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that kind of obvious from the cover?

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, I just try to make conversation.

And yeah, it was, but hey, it just made the opener that much better

MightyMouse
10-17-2005, 11:11 PM
what book was she reading??? this is very important IMO.

BobboFitos
10-17-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what book was she reading??? this is very important IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

its really not (it was about medicine, she's premed)

Hiding
10-18-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
To me, this mostly means that I'm glad I'm through with all this bullshit.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, or I'm to much of an introvert to use the phone

tpir90036
10-18-2005, 01:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
wtf does this mean?

[/ QUOTE ]
that she doesn't want to get down.

rusellmj
10-18-2005, 01:33 AM
I've actually exchanged email addresses with someone and we hooked up later. Probably how I would use the AIM name. Just send a message.

smokingrobot
10-18-2005, 01:40 AM
soudns like she may be a bigger internet dork than anyone on 2+2.

check that, maybe not everyone.

siccjay
10-18-2005, 01:57 AM
It's not that big a deal.

Talk to her on AIM. Make fun of her for carrying a cell phone that isn't turned on or that she is too cheap to pay her phone bill. Make light of the stupid things chicks do.

tonypaladino
10-18-2005, 02:59 AM
get drunk, ca--

oh wait, never mind.

Exitonly
10-18-2005, 03:13 AM
ok, either

A) she was interested in you, and just talks on AIM more than the phone.. not really a big deal, and it's easier than phone.
B) She wasn't interseted in you, but didnt want to be too mean. In this case, she's letting you talk to her online, ,where you could get to know her better, and she could then decide that she does in fact like you.

You can't lose by IMing her..

tonypaladino
10-18-2005, 03:26 AM
At least she didn't give you 212-479-7990

Vavavoom
10-18-2005, 04:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you shouldn't ask for numbers. Be like, "So I'd like to see you again." Then if she likes you, she tells you her number. Asking her directly is a common mistake.

Her giving you an AIM SN instead of her number is probably a negative.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this...to a degree...

However, I how found that a lot of girls like to give me their email address....I think this is a good way of building up a rapport to go out so that pre-first date, u don't go in cold and ill-prepared...

So in my opinion, I think she is trying to find out more about yourself without committing herself to giving you her phone number...If you pass the AIM test, u will reach the next level and get the Phone Number...

By speaking to her on AIM, u are accepting her terms and if she is comfortable with that, then, you are already a bit further down the line with her.

In essence though, meeting a random in a coffee-shop, will not yield many phone numbers IMO...Unless u have a massive bulge in your pants like you are packing a 15" penis !

MarkL444
10-18-2005, 04:55 AM
thats so lame. if you ever talk to her online, just be very forward about trying to meet up. avoid a full conversation on aol. online games are [censored] lame.

Gary Stevenson
10-18-2005, 07:06 AM
i say it's 75% she just talks on AIM more and feels more comfortable talking to someone on AIM who she just met more than on the phone (awkward pause moments). Other 25% and you're just going to start talking to some random AIM sn who has never been to a coffee shop in fairfield, CT. GL Steve

ZZzzZZzz

oreogod
10-18-2005, 07:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He shoots... HE SCORES...

[/ QUOTE ]

...an AIM name. Good luck on getting her to physically go on a date here. Cut to the chase, if she really liked u, and u made her wet, you'd have a number. I have dated quite a few girls and the 2/3 that werent drunk college chicks (in which case u dont have to ask for anything) this has never happened.

Either:
1. She doesnt like you
2.Doesnt have enough of an impression on whether she likes u or not and doesnt want to have to deal with a ton of calls (most guys are retarded and dont get the hint). easier and more of an ideal hassel free situation to just throw them on the ignore list (shes probably dealt with the phone situation many times).
3.She's [censored] up and not worth your time
4. Or shes crazy busy and again, good luck on getting a date.

Still, you probably are not a favorite here...dunno she probably gets asked out a ton if shes really hot. Either way post a follow up, sounds intresting.

oreogod
10-18-2005, 07:47 AM
On a sidenote u can play her in online game of Yahoo checkers while u talk.

private joker
10-18-2005, 07:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fellas, when I write screenplays, I go for accuracy. Accuracy, gentlemen. Do you see? I did my research!

oreogod
10-18-2005, 08:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fellas, when I write screenplays, I go for accuracy. Accuracy, gentlemen. Do you see? I did my research!

[/ QUOTE ]

She could be some sick chick, like that mastermind dude in Saw...except instead coming up w/ a complicated trap of lying on the floor pretending to be dead and getting off on some sort of [censored]-erotic sobing, she lures potential prey at the local coffeeshop, under the assumed occupation of "premed" student (this is foreshadowing, so pay attention)...so anyway, u talk to her, thought u pulled some sweet moves and are like" "SHAZAM! I got her screenname, I'll be eating her labia within a week" only except shes a crazy games ethusiast, pretend "premed" student (foreshadowing...u like that?), but only her O cycle stopped in an "incident" when she was a teenager, so she has needed to devise some sick ass ways to get off. (this is where u come in)

So u pull some strings, think u are hot [censored], but your're not, because shes a pyscho. A crazy bitch psycho. So u sign on, talk, and she says "want to play some checkers?"...wanting her labia u say, "sure, whatever." You are playing and all of a sudden, she turns up the cyber porn talk...you go, "wtf...whatever shes hot" (she is, but remember, shes a crazy psycho bitch)...anyway, you win...you actually try and toss the match but u take it down anyway. Then she says 2-3? You're like u want to play...she goes full style cyber on u, telling u u can eat her vagina if u win this next match. You're like "[censored] yeah, sure." You play, u want to win this time, but shes turning up the [censored] heat on u, like shes some goddamn checkers freak master (but shes really a crazy psycho bitch)...u lose. Shes like "You must not want me" you are like "yeah I do" shes like "prove it" you are like "Hell yeah"

So u play. In the middle of the match, she tells u if u lose this match, she will kill u and [censored] your dead body. You are like "W T F" She's like, "look out your window." You do. Your neighbors heads are piked right on your white picket fence. You are like "you are insane!* I dont want to [censored] u anymore" *(but shes really a crazy psycho bitch)

She says "win or die and get your dead body [censored]"
You say: "no"
She says "Do it"
You start to move for the door. She says "Im right up stairs"
You turn from the computer screen and there she is with a big ass machete at the top of your stairs.

MORAL: theres a no win situation with a girl who only gives out her AIM name. While posing as a premed student. She probably a crazy psycho bitch.

siccjay
10-18-2005, 08:53 AM
Nice.

SippinSoma
10-18-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd thank her for it, and then never talk to her again. Super lame.

[/ QUOTE ]