PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Talk: Mariners, Sox Trade, Clemens

Zeno
06-02-2003, 01:44 AM
Ah- Clemens is spinning his wheels on 299. Will he do it against the lackluster Cubs? The Yanks are back on top - the Sox lost five straight.

Shea Hillenbrand for Byung-Hyun Kim. Good deal for both clubs, a significant trade or just oh-um? Sox shoring up the bullpen is good I guess.

Since the Mets whipped Atlanta tonight (great game, Mets scored 8 runs in the 6th inning) the Mariners now have the best record in baseball. The Mariners are playing stellar ball right now; they just swept the Twins 4 games in Minnesota. Hitting is great, defense is top notch and pitching is steady and improving. Garcia may finally be ramping up out of his slump. The Mariners are 37-18 and have a 5 game lead on Oakland. A bit unexpected but enjoyable. This team will go places. Boone (.310) 15 HR and 45 RBI and Martinez (.328) 14 HR and 47 RBI are both having great seasons and Ichiro has brought his batting average up to .317, and he can throw people out at home from downtown.

Will the Yanks make any moves/trades? I heard they travel with semi-trucks full of gold bars in case they need to buy a player on the road. Rumor also has it the Yanks have a stash of cash in some valley over in the Middle East – right next to some old yahoos’ WMD. But I could be wrong on that one.

-Zeno

andyfox
06-02-2003, 12:29 PM
-If you can't get a win leading 7-1 against the Tigers, well, it's going to be tough to win anytime. In Wrigley against Kerry Wood will certainly be tougher.

-The Yankees aren't too bad right now, except for their pitching, hitting, and fielding; other than that, they're OK. The Red Sox are even worse. Meanwhile Pedro sits until his booboo heals. Toronto is clearly the best team in the East right now, which means the East stinks.

-The Mariners are undoubtedly the best team in baseball right now. I'm not a Sasaki fan (I prefer a closer who can blow people away), but if he continues to get the job done, they'll be very tough all year.

-Rumor is Steinbrenner wants another bat, but I think they should be thinking about their old-folks pitching staff. One would think Godzilla will get better, as will Giambi, and when Bernie gets back they'll have a good line-up. Hard to see them staying with Seattle, Oakland, Minnesota or even Boston in a short series though, which means quick post-season (if they get that far) elimination again this year.

-I note that Boston plays Pittsburgh beginning tomorrow night: the last time they played was in 1903 (Don Zimmer was the Sox manager /forums/images/icons/wink.gif .) I wonder if they'll play again in 2103.