PDA

View Full Version : Bad first date idea?

highlife
10-17-2005, 04:13 PM
Is a halloween costume party a bad idea for a first date? My friend thinks its great but I completely disagree.

Relevant details:
- I will know 4-5 people at the party, my date will not know anyone.
- The potential date is a girl I just met and don't know much about.
- There is a good chance there will be alot of single girls my age at this party, might be better to go alone and take the date to a more traditional first date place.

slickpoppa
10-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Bad idea. She'll feel out of place since she doesn't know anyone and you will want to meet other scantily clad girls.

swede123
10-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Pretty bad first date idea, I'd say. Without a read on the girl and her not knowing anyone there it could easily result in no second date.

Swede

man
10-17-2005, 04:21 PM
it depends.

chances are not good that this will be a successful endeavor for you, regardless of what you're after. but it does depend on what you're looking for. if you're looking to score tail, and if she's fairly aware of this, I don't think it matters where you go. but if you're looking to start seeing her or whatever, you're better off going out to dinner or getting coffee. I always feel awkward at most parties where I don't know at least ten people anyway, and it sucks to have to worry about someone else who doesn't know anyone.

wait a second, halloween is in like two weeks. what are you waiting for, ask her to get coffee man. tomorrow, see if she wants to meet up friday afternoon.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Is this girl in your class, or is she a peasant?

xadrez
10-17-2005, 04:25 PM
I wouldnt want anyone I knew around on a first date with someone. I dont like the feeling that all my friends are watching me as I try to work my "non-game".

Dont do it. Also, you want her to think youre paying attention to her life's story, so it helpful if you arent interrupting her chatter periodically to funnel beer and do shots.

canis582
10-17-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it depends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, bad idea. First date = one on one. Take her for a drink or a pizza or to play some frisbee golf. Bros before hos, ho.

asofel
[ QUOTE ]
Is this girl in your class, or is she a peasant?

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

jakethebake
Is this the waitress?

jaydub
10-17-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is a halloween costume party a bad idea for a first date? My friend thinks its great but I completely disagree.

Relevant details:
- I will know 4-5 people at the party, my date will not know anyone.
- The potential date is a girl I just met and don't know much about.
- There is a good chance there will be alot of single girls my age at this party, might be better to go alone and take the date to a more traditional first date place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Terrible, why would you bring this chick you don't know to a party? What if she sucks? You're stuck having to deal with her or fake leaving.

Just meet her for a drink sometime before the party, halloween is pretty far away.

woodguy
10-17-2005, 04:28 PM
Bad idea given that costume parties are fantasitic opportunities to get some fine pie.

The combination of alcohol and costumes seems to have a multiplier effect to lower inhibitions of the average available tart.

Costume parties should be attended stag.

Then take the girl someplace nice to eat plus a museum on the first date, always a quality combination.

Regards,
Woodguy

Dominic
10-17-2005, 04:30 PM
never ever EVER take a girl to a party unless you're a couple.

EVER EVER.

Got it?

You want to be able to work the room - who knows what opportunites might arise that you would never know about if you're stuck with a chick you barely know, but feel you have to stick by her and not really talk to any other girl because you're on a "date."

A first date should be somplace you can give one another your undiveded attention. Dinner. Bowling. A walk in a park. Whatever.

Besides, you know how common it is for the chick in these situations to hit it off better with some random dude at the party than with you?

James Boston
10-17-2005, 04:32 PM
As a general rule (that is quasi-relevant to your situation), when I get an "...and guest" invitation, I will NOT go set up a first date with a girl to be my "and guest." I would feel rude ignoring my friends who invited me to entertain her, and she doesn't know me well enough at this point for me to try and start introducing her to everyone I know.

Either get a couple dates with her under your belt between now and the party, or wait til after the party to ask her out.

jakethebake
10-17-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Costume parties should be attended stag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Girls dressed in whatever slutty costume they can find consuming copious amounts of alcohol. The last Halloween party I went to was as Austin Powers. I got cornered by several women a fraction my age that loved my costume. One wanted me to disappear with her for awhile despite the fact my wife was there. Unfortunately, I'm less a swinger than my costume led her to believe.

slickpoppa
10-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Woodguy and Dominic are dead on.

DMBFan23
10-17-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

EVER EVER.

Got it?

You want to be able to work the room - who knows what opportunites might arise that you would never know about if you're stuck with a chick you barely know, but feel you have to stick by her and not really talk to any other girl because you're on a "date."

A first date should be somplace you can give one another your undiveded attention. Dinner. Bowling. A walk in a park. Whatever.

Besides, you know how common it is for the chick in these situations to hit it off better with some random dude at the party than with you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a DominicIsRight/DominicKnowsHos gimmick account?

nyc999
10-17-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this the waitress?

[/ QUOTE ]

highlife
10-17-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this the waitress?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah.

PocketJokers72
10-17-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this the waitress?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah.

[/ QUOTE ]

On another train of thought, this would be the perfect opportunity to put out a 'feeler bet' to see what her intentions towards you are. If you stick her in the worst possible situation (feeler bet), and all she does is rave about how great a time she had (call), she only wants your dough.

If she complains about not knowing anyone and yadda yadda (Pot sized raise), then she may ACTUALLY want to get to know YOU, not your wallet.

Just be prepared to fold or raise all-in on the turn after you get the information you were looking for.

Fold = Cut the 'party date' short and have an awesome backup plan.

Push = Cut her loose with some cab fare and pick up some stray poon.

The "feeler bet/fold to raise" scenario can actually be the best opportunity for a quality relationship. She will think you really want to be with her and please her, by dumping your current plans on the spot and doing something much more romantic and fantastical. It's simply a position raise, but she is tight/passive and will believe you hold a strong hand.

jaydub
10-17-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this the waitress?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah.

[/ QUOTE ]

On another train of thought, this would be the perfect opportunity to put out a 'feeler bet' to see what her intentions towards you are. If you stick her in the worst possible situation (feeler bet), and all she does is rave about how great a time she had (call), she only wants your dough.

If she complains about not knowing anyone and yadda yadda (Pot sized raise), then she may ACTUALLY want to get to know YOU, not your wallet.

Just be prepared to fold or raise all-in after you get the information you were looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is dumb. Life is not a p*ker game and aside from the crappy metaphors, the advice is terrible.

PocketJokers72
10-17-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This is dumb. Life is not a p*ker game and aside from the crappy metaphors, the advice is terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought they were great metaphors. But I am one truly manipulative bastard.

And yes, life is a poker game.

SGS
10-17-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is a good chance there will be alot of single girls my age at this party

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone once told me not to bring sand to a beach.

SGS

craze9
10-17-2005, 05:36 PM
Championship post.

Life is indeed a poker game.

highlife
10-17-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is a good chance there will be alot of single girls my age at this party

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone once told me not to bring sand to a beach.

SGS

[/ QUOTE ]

this is why I ask you OOT boobs the important questions, it's so simple yet true. thanks.

highlife
10-17-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought they were great metaphors. But I am one truly manipulative bastard.

And yes, life is a poker game.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was worth while to see a different way to think about the situation. The idea isn't that bad but in this case its not +EV i dont think.

4_2_it
10-17-2005, 07:08 PM
Did anyone else immediately think pimp and 'ho would be the best costume combo to suggest?

B Dids
10-17-2005, 08:07 PM
You should never ever make a post like this again.

Gay poker metaphors can [censored] off and die.

lu_hawk
10-17-2005, 08:17 PM
I can't think of a worse first date idea off the top of my head.

MCS
10-17-2005, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

EVER EVER.

Got it?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is completely correct.

B00T
10-18-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Just be prepared to fold or raise all-in on the turn after you get the information you were looking for.

The "feeler bet/fold to raise" scenario can actually be the best opportunity for a quality relationship. She will think you really want to be with her and please her, by dumping your current plans on the spot and doing something much more romantic and fantastical. It's simply a position raise, but she is tight/passive and will believe you hold a strong hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this is 6 hrs after this thread has died down. I just want to say that this post is AWFUL, between the advice and the p**** lingo combined.

I want to notify the moderator of this post but I dont need Mat looking at it. [censored] do something about this guy.

Edit: I didnt even see page 2 of this thread to see Dids already post that...Good call

BreakEvenPlayer
10-18-2005, 02:42 AM
I agree. This is the worst post I have ever read in my life.

Exitonly
10-18-2005, 03:05 AM
Think how she's going to feel, Dressed up, at a party where she knows NO ONE including yourself.

She's gonna feel awkward, thereby making you feel awkward. Making it a terrible date.

And like others said, Halloween party woudl absoltuely be best to go stag. (unnles you're already in a serious relationship, then i see no problem)

10-18-2005, 03:41 AM
Feeler bets are theoretically flawed. You are putting more money in the pot to see where you are (to see if you should fold), however the more money that is in the pot, the more you should be inclined to stay.
BTW the "get drunk -> call her" is better advice than this

CardSharpCook
10-18-2005, 03:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree. This is the worst post I have ever read in my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker metaphors can be good. This one sucked. Truly truly sad. That is all.

PocketJokers72
10-18-2005, 10:53 AM
http://autoblogger.net/ddi1.jpg

I cannot be flamed. I am wearing my super suit. My e-penis is still large, firm and erect, without use of implanted hydraulics, herbal remedies, or vacuum apparatus.

Funny how sarcasm and wit miss a lot of people when in print.

<insert sarcastic re-flammatory comments here, make sure they include personal attacks, references to other bad posts by the current group of flamers, and make sure to restate how awesome I am in my own self image>

jaydub
10-18-2005, 11:03 AM
And here I thought it couldn't possibly get worse...

steelcmg
10-18-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it depends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, bad idea. First date = one on one. Take her for a drink or a pizza or to play some frisbee golf. Bros before hos, ho.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love playing frisbee golf. I just wish i was good and had time to play