PDA

View Full Version : obscured chips on the table

10-17-2005, 03:57 PM
On Sunday night I was playing at a no limit texas hold em table in Atlantic City. I was sitting in seat 10 and had about
$800 in chips. I got into a hand with a player in seat 2 who appeared to have about two stacks of red $5 chips (approx $150 total)
left after the flop. I was about to say "all in" but I wanted to hear his voice while he counted out his chips, so I asked
him how much he had left. He then picked up five black $100 chips which were completely obscured from my view by a cell phone
he had on the table. The chips were probably visible to seats 1, 3-7 and maybe the dealer but I couldn't see them at all. My question is: If
I had just simply said all in and he pushed in his $650, would I have to pay him off if he had the better hand? I feel that aside
from your chips(cash), a cup, cup holder and a card protector, nothing else should be on the table.

Jeffage
10-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Typically, it is against the rules to hide large denomination chips where your opponents can't see them. I think if they were truly obscured and it was obviously intentional, a floorperson might rule they don't play. Large denomination chips must be clearly visible. That said, knowing how much your opponent has is sort of your responsibility and when you asked, you got an accurate answer. I certainly wouldn't want to leave the floor person decision to chance here and would always ask what my opponent had if I cared or wasn't sure.

Jeff