PDA

View Full Version : 2 perfectly played hands

34TheTruth34
06-02-2003, 12:12 AM
Here are two big pots I won the other day. I think I played these hands perfectly. Do you agree?

Hand 1:

I limp in MP with TT after UTG limped and and two players folded. One caller after me, SB calls. 5 way action.

Flop Q-7-2 rainbow. Checked to me. I check. Player behind me checks.

Turn 4 still rainbow. Checked to me, I bet, player behind me calls, both blinds fold, UTG check-raises. This is an abover average by-the-book player who only plays good cards. I call, player behind me folds.

River T. Boy is he going to be in for a surprise! He bets, I raise, he 3-bets. With the way he plays, he would raise with QQ close to 100% of the time UTG, meaning that basically I have the nuts. I four-bet and he disgustedly calls and shows 44.

Hand 2:

UTG limps in, I'm next to act and limp in with 6 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif. 3 more limpers, 6 way action.

Flop 7 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/club.gif. SB checks, BB bets, I call, 2 more callers, BB calls.

Turn 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif. Checked to me, I check, checked around.

River 5 /forums/images/icons/club.gif. Boy are they going to be surprised again! SB bets, BB calls, I raise, folded back around to SB who calls. BB calls.

COMMENTS????

I won just over 5 BB per hour that session, which I attribute to my mad poker skills. BTW, I'm available to give lessons on Tuesday nights if anyone is interested...

Louie Landale
06-02-2003, 12:27 AM
Hardy har har.

[1] You bet on the turn and capped the river, for 3 good decisions. You just called PF, failed to bet on the flop, failed to fold for the raise on the turn (against a by-the-book player), for 4 bad decisions. One bad decision for a hand usually kills whatever advantage you may have over the lesser players.

[2] You got the single perfect card for your hand on the turn and didn't like it enough to bet. Must have been a pretty weak flop call. Mom is right: When the pot is small, don't draw to hands you don't like.

Yes, getting involved with lessons on Tuesdays sounds like a good idea.

- Louie /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

On the bright side, you'll never learn unless you are willing to fall on your face a few times like on these hands.

JTG51
06-02-2003, 12:28 AM
I think I played these hands perfectly.

It's hard to tell without a single corny smiley face, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are being sarcastic? Damn internet, sarcasm can be so hard to detect.

Hand 1:

Preflop: Looks like an easy raise to me.

Flop: Looks like an easy bet to me.

Turn: Looks like an easy fold against this opponent to me.

River: Well played.

Hand 2:

Preflop: Yuck, fold.

Flop: Another great chance to fold. You aren't getting the right odds for your gutshot, and it could get really ugly for you with 900 players still to act.

Turn: Well played.

River: Well played.

Boy are they going to be surprised again!

LOL!

I can't imagine you really want analysis of these hands, do you just feel guilty and in need some flaming? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Ulysses
06-02-2003, 04:22 AM
Hand 1: Raise pre-flop. Bet the flop. Fold on the turn.

Hand 2: I didn't bother to see what you did post-flop. Easy muck pre-flop.

Joe Tall
06-02-2003, 09:43 AM
I agree with JTG - online and email you can't hear the tone of voices and I have found it creates confusion. So, I hope there is some sarcasm here.

Hand #1
Preflop: I don't mind the limp assuming this is one of the limp-fest any-2-called-cold-games at Fox or Sun that you frequent - however, I'd raise it. Maybe you'd get ONE extra player to fold.

Flop: bet out and find out where you at.
Turn: fold to the check-raiser, expecially since you respect him.
River: routine.

Hand #2
Preflop: fold - you in way too early position even if it's the loose passive games.
Flop: fold - no odds for this gut shot.
The rest is fine.

I'm available to give lessons on Tuesday nights if anyone is interested...

I'd gladly sit at your table! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Who gives/takes the lesson may be in question however.

34TheTruth34
06-02-2003, 10:25 AM
Louie found all of the bad plays

Hand one:
1. Didn't raise preflop
2. Didn't bet the flop
3. Called the raise on the turn

Hand two:
4. Limped in with garbage
5. Called a flop bet with nothing and a bunch of players yet to act behind me
6. Didn't bet the turn

I posted these hands because I found them interesting. Note that on both hands my bad play actually made the pot much bigger than it should have been. Also note that after butchering most of the hands, I caught the perfect card I needed to bail me out (the ten on the river in hand one and the eight of hearts on the turn in hand two). When I look back to why I played these hands this way, the only answer I have is I don't know---don't know what the hell I'm doing that is!!

Thanks for the responses

34TheTruth34
06-02-2003, 10:38 AM
It's hard to tell without a single corny smiley face, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are being sarcastic?

What is this sarcasm thing you are speaking about??? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif (there, ya happy?)

River: Well played

Something I just realized this very second was that I did, in fact, play the river well. That was lost on me because I was focused on how bad I played and how lucky I got on these hands. Now that I think about it, I made a good read and got maximum value out of the situation. Thanks for pointing that out. I guess it will have to be my silver lining.

I can't imagine you really want analysis of these hands, do you just feel guilty and in need some flaming?

Pretty much. Just like I have no idea why I played these hands the way I did, I have no idea why I posted these hands. I guess just to show that you can do everything wrong and still win a hand. The amazing thing is that I wasn't really steaming or stuck or anything. Just wierd. I kinda wanted somebody to post a "what are you talking about? You played these hands horribly!" response, but you guys are all to smart for that.

Also, I figured somebody on here would point out something that I missed and you did. I appreciate it.

BTW, you know you played a hand badly when you're embarassed to turn it over and show your winner! Thanks for the response.

34TheTruth34
06-02-2003, 10:40 AM
Hand 2: I didn't bother to see what you did post-flop. Easy muck pre-flop.

I don't agree that the post-flop play doesn't matter just because I should have folded pre-flop

34TheTruth34
06-02-2003, 10:42 AM
I agree with pretty much everything you said.

I'd gladly sit at your table!

After seeing the way I played these hands, I can't say I blame you!

bigfishead
06-02-2003, 11:09 AM
As Loiue has already mentioned, many bad decisions which
will break you in the long run. Also, continue to play hand
#2 in that position in ANY game will cost you. I'd rarely see the flop on the button for one bet with 5 players let alone where you did.

I would suggest you sign up for those Tuesday nite lessons.

SoBeDude
06-02-2003, 11:32 AM
Pretty much. Just like I have no idea why I played these hands the way I did, I have no idea why I posted these hands. I guess just to show that you can do everything wrong and still win a hand.

Which illustrates why fish win hands against us.

(No, I'm not calling you a fish, really!)

-Scott

Bartleby
06-02-2003, 12:00 PM

The responses to your post only go to show that some people on this forum will criticise anything just to post. Apparently finesse and subtility are not in their repertoire of dirty tricks. They have ignored the concept of implied odds (which you failed to bring to their attention). Additionally, plays such as this are obviously designed to put opponents on tilt in future hands and will greatly increase the pot size because your opponents will misclassify you as a fool. Some will even try to teach you how to play their way using the chat box (Oh, what great fun to know they are on tilt). Don't be deterred from using this strategy in the future. I make plays like this all the time and have had several good sessions. I am thinking of moving up to the $1/2 soon but I have not been able to increase my bankroll like I would like. I've had a few bad beats lately. It's is great to see a kindred spirit post on this forum.

Above all don't change your strategy because of a little misdirected criticism.