PDA

View Full Version : Idiot end of a straight

tonypaladino
10-17-2005, 03:28 PM
http://www.pokerhand.org/index.php?page=view&hand=149080

I would appreciate comments on this hand. I am playing pretty lose b/c I need to clear a PSO bonus within a time limit.

(Any idea how to get the regular converter to work with absolutes new HH's?)

hobbsmann
10-17-2005, 03:34 PM
I don't really like your 3-bet on the river. Since there is a four straight on the board you are very rarely going to be raised by less than a hand you chop with so you are only losing value when you put in a 3rd and 4th bet. And really easy fold preflop.

10-17-2005, 03:38 PM
You're going to lose more money than the bonus is worth limping those types of hands first in IMO. I don't like the river 3 bet, he has to be scared of the str8 here, you're either chopping or seeing J10 like all the time I think.

jskills
10-17-2005, 03:42 PM
You open limped with 86s? I think that could be the problem right there, no?

I would have 3b-bet the flop once you got raised. I can't you not having the best hand at that point.

Raised on the river? Right away you've got to consider people playing hands like JT - I believe the extra bet was spewage.

crunchy1
10-17-2005, 03:43 PM
I think you played it fine. I probably go all 4 bets on the river here too.

I think previous replies are missing the fact that the Villian on the river has exactly 4BBs left. You're going to see a lot of crazy crap from a short stack in these situations. There are a lot of ways a player who starts a hand with 6.5BBs is going to try and get all his money in.

I also think that the times we lose in these situations aren't horrible because that player is probably giving his stack back on the next couple hands anyways.

speirs
10-17-2005, 03:45 PM
I don't like preflop. The rest is fine IMO.

10-17-2005, 03:47 PM
I hadn't really noticed that the guy was shortstacked, that is a good point. With the river being an ace I'm guessing I actually would play it the same way during the hand, as someone would likely play a big ace this way.

W. Deranged
10-17-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really like your 3-bet on the river. Since there is a four straight on the board you are very rarely going to be raised by less than a hand you chop with so you are only losing value when you put in a 3rd and 4th bet. And really easy fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

tonypaladino
10-17-2005, 08:54 PM
thanks for the comments guys!

10-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Any time I have a draw to the ignorant end of a straight, I ask myself whether the hand that makes the top end of the straight is a reasonable holding for my opponent. In your case, you are dead against an opponent holding J10. Unfortunately, it is quite likely that this is what you are up against. If I was playing this hand, I probably would have check/called on the river.