PDA

View Full Version : selling a used car - help

unlucky513
10-17-2005, 03:23 PM
i'm gonna try and sell my car this weekend. i bought the car used, and when i bought it i got an extended warranty. is this transferrable to the new owner?

thanks for the help

yes, i have looked through the warranty papers, can't find anything on this

swede123
10-17-2005, 03:29 PM
You should really give a call to the dealer where you bought the car (and the extended warranty), it varies from case to case.

Swede

321Mike
10-17-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
when i bought it i got an extended warranty. is this transferrable to the new owner?

[/ QUOTE ]
Usually it is not. And if it is, there will be a significant fee to transfer it. There will be a "claims" phone number on the contract to call and find out.

Extended warranties, unless they are offered directly from the manufacturer, are usually a pretty bad deal. And don't assume that because the dealer sold it to you that it comes from the manufacturer.

Hiding
10-17-2005, 05:11 PM
This is true, most are a type of an insurance policy. Typically with a $100 deductable. I have had one and it was transferable but had about $100 fee to do so.

I have also heard of people being turned down for repairs due to not having service records, or "abusing" their car. I have made two claims, and on the second they did ask for service records, but fixed both issues.