PDA

View Full Version : A good day for Knicks fans

brettbrettr
10-17-2005, 02:57 PM
Allan Houston is announcing his retirement this afternoon.

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2194071)

pokerdirty
10-17-2005, 03:03 PM
THE KNICKS NOW HAVE A CHANCE!

oh wait, isiah is still the GM. nevermind.

Phoenix1010
10-17-2005, 03:04 PM
It works out in our favor, but it's not a happy day. Allan Houston has done a lot for this team, and has been responsible for some of the best moments in franchise history. It's not like it's his fault that he's injury prone. With the way he carried the team on his back for years, it's fitting that his knees buckled. I'm sure Knicks fans thank him for what he's done for the organization, and wish him the best.

Edit: It also makes me really sad that he's the last player from the last Knicks team to go to the finals. I really liked that team.

IndieMatty
10-17-2005, 03:06 PM
What you said.

brettbrettr
10-17-2005, 03:08 PM
Well, I mean happy in the sense that your highest paid player who can't play anymore is now no longer playing. I don't care who he is. Any player who fits that description retiring should make a fan "happy."

As for Houston, yeah, he was fine. He was a good scorer but couldn't play D, not the best at creating his own shot either. Pretty meh, actually. But I woudn't say he carried the team, ever. He was a big part of some successful seasons, but he never "carried" the team.

Soul Daddy
10-17-2005, 03:18 PM
Someone explain NBA salary cap rules to me. His final two years are completely erased from the books?

One of my favorite players ever. I watched him play in high school a couple of times. That said, I have zero recollection of his days in Detroit. In fact, I had to look it up on his player page.

IndieMatty
10-17-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Someone explain NBA salary cap rules to me. His final two years are completely erased from the books?

One of my favorite players ever. I watched him play in high school a couple of times. That said, I have zero recollection of his days in Detroit. In fact, I had to look it up on his player page.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that this years stays on the cap. And next years is gone. (See Terrell Brandon/Luc Longley) Also Insurance picks up 80% of this.

Phoenix1010
10-17-2005, 04:01 PM
So who's going to take care of the NBA championship or bust thread?

brettbrettr
10-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Once we get rid of Marbury I'll be all over it. I try to save those for teams I think have a shot. I am sometimes very, very wrong.

IndieMatty
10-17-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Once we get rid of Marbury I'll be all over it. I try to save those for teams I think have a shot. I am sometimes very, very wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't a shame how different the popularity of basketball is now? Even if the Knicks won a championship, it won't be the same as if they won it in 94 or 99. I was there in 99 for the finale of the pacers series, and the whole city was buzzing. Now? I don't even know if it will be a blip.

pokerdirty
10-17-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So who's going to take care of the NBA championship or bust thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

bust.

brettbrettr
10-17-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't a shame how different the popularity of basketball is now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've admitted it in other bball threads and I'll do it again here: I am 100% taken with the masses on this one. I am not a very big bball fan anymore, at all. I think the NBA got less interesting to me when Patrick left. There are still some players I love to watch (Kidd, Garnett, et. al.) but a lot of it bores me to tears. Maybe its cuz the Knicks aren't very good. Maybe its b/c the game changed. I haven't thought about it too much so I don't really know....

I would bet though that if the Knicks somehow got deep in the playoffs the city would buzz again. It wouldn't be ok, we won a couple of series now we have to beat the Bulls. But there would def be exitement.

ononimo
10-17-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't a shame how different the popularity of basketball is now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've admitted it in other bball threads and I'll do it again here: I am 100% taken with the masses on this one. I am not a very big bball fan anymore, at all. I think the NBA got less interesting to me when the NBA followed Jordan's sixth championship with a lockout and Jordan left the Bulls.

[/ QUOTE ]