PDA

View Full Version : (Very OT) Victory over Caffeine

stupidsucker
10-17-2005, 01:37 PM
A few months ago I had posted about giving caffeine up.

I switched to caffeine free coke, and I tasted no difference.

Today I realized... I dont even drink that anymore. Caffeine is there to make you crave the beverage to buy it. Legal drug pushing.

Quiting caffeine is one of the most EV things I have ever done. Lost 5 pounds too.

zipppy
10-17-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you just made baby Jesus cry.

stupidsucker
10-17-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you just made baby Jesus cry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was reluctant, and it was hard to find non-diet caffeine free. Sounds kooky I know, and I drank a lot of rootbeer as well. Rootbeer > coke anyways.(good rootbeer).

pokerdirty
10-17-2005, 02:14 PM
now that you are thinking about it, you know you want a coke right now...

Gar Pike
10-17-2005, 02:19 PM
Now give up soft drinks altogether. The sh*t they put in those is worse for you than caffeine ever was *. ('Less of course you go crazy on caffeine and start shooting at cops, or flipping off gangstas, or something)

::Commercial Plug:: Go to like Trader Joe's or somewhere that sells pure fruit juice, blueberry or aronia berry is pretty tasty, and good for you. cranberry will make you pucker for a week)::End Commercial Plug::

Regards

Gar

PS * Even worse for you than making Baby Jesus cry, and I hear that goes on your *permanent* record.

10-17-2005, 02:19 PM
Getting a cup of coffee with one or two esspresso shots in it once a month is like the best feeling ever. Caffiene is by far my favorite drug (granted, I don't do many), and works really well if you use it really infrequently

10-17-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I taste a difference if I drink it from a gold can instead of a red one. My brain knows there is no caffeine and tells me it's disgusting. It doesn't taste as bad if I pour it in a glass first. It tastes exactly the same if someone else pours it in the glass first but doesn't tell me about it.

10-17-2005, 02:25 PM
Good job. Now you just need to let go of maryjane /images/graemlins/grin.gif

10-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Are you one of those silly people who clicks reply to the last post in a thread when he means to reply to the first? :/

Bluff Daddy
10-17-2005, 03:19 PM
well you lost 5 lbs b/c you stopped drinking cokes with 40g of sugar in them. If anything this should be a victory over coke not caffeine

GtrHtr
10-17-2005, 03:23 PM
http://www.allfunpics.com/data/media/5/cup.jpg

This isn't directed at you in any way, I just couldn't resist.

Newt_Buggs
10-17-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Getting a cup of coffee with one or two esspresso shots in it once a month is like the best feeling ever. Caffiene is by far my favorite drug (granted, I don't do many), and works really well if you use it really infrequently

[/ QUOTE ]
This describes my experience with caffeine as well. I definitly don't add in two shots of esspresso though. Because I don't drink much caffeine, one small cup of coffee gets me wired.

Oh yeah, and I hate the taste of soda (unless its mixed with alcohol).

stupidsucker
10-17-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
now that you are thinking about it, you know you want a coke right now...

[/ QUOTE ]

nope just got back from teh grocery store and thought about it. Normally I buy a 12pack, and I still will on occasion.

stupidsucker
10-17-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you one of those silly people who clicks reply to the last post in a thread when he means to reply to the first? :/

[/ QUOTE ]

I am.

stupidsucker
10-17-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good job. Now you just need to let go of maryjane /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe eventualy, but I enjoy it, and honestly... caffeine is much worse for you then THC. You can die from caffeine overdose. high doses can cause all kinds of problems with the brain. Withdrawal is much worse on caffeine too.

I am not saying THC is good for you...

Femto
10-17-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
::Commercial Plug:: Go to like Trader Joe's or somewhere that sells pure fruit juice, blueberry or aronia berry is pretty tasty, and good for you. cranberry will make you pucker for a week)::End Commercial Plug::

[/ QUOTE ]
Even fruit juice is actually pretty bad for you, unless it has pulp or some substance to it. Just buy a bunch of fruit instead for your sugar fix... MUCH better for you.

10-17-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be silly, but I'm not going to scroll up an entire thread just to click a button that is currently staring me in the face. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SuitedSixes
10-17-2005, 04:38 PM
I /images/graemlins/heart.gif Dr. Pepper.

I can be having a crappy day, feel like absolute sh1t, and within seconds of a sip of Dr. Pepper I feel better.

I once went 6 months without it, but I don't want to do that ever again.

http://www.freewebs.com/antiborg6/Dr%20Pepper%20Model.jpg

Rduke55
10-17-2005, 05:03 PM
[quote You can die from caffeine overdose.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can overdose from just about anything. For coffee it's about 50-200 cups of regular coffee, depending on body weight and tolerance.
I don't think you have to worry about this.

P.S. You're right that root beer > coke.

stupidsucker
10-17-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[quote You can die from caffeine overdose.

You can overdose from just about anything. For coffee it's about 50-200 cups of regular coffee, depending on body weight and tolerance.
I don't think you have to worry about this.

P.S. You're right that root beer > coke.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you drink that much coffee you get super powers of moving through time ala Futurama.

Sure no one drinks that much coffee, but you can go to the store and buy caffeine over the counter and OD with one box. This is a little extreme, but caffeine is put out on the market to appear harmless. It is very addicting and it is put into sooooo many products for that reason alone...

10-17-2005, 07:12 PM
The fact that a substance is addictive does not make it, in itself, harmful. Consider water -- we're all hopelessly addicted. I challenge you to point me to any conclusive medical evidence that caffeine is harmful to your body. Although I agree THC is one of the more benign recreational drugs (alcohol is way more harmful than pot), I think it's silly to say that coffee or caffeine is way more harmful than THC, even if we just define harm as "effects which interfere with your daily life."

Femto
10-17-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that a substance is addictive does not make it, in itself, harmful. Consider water -- we're all hopelessly addicted. I challenge you to point me to any conclusive medical evidence that caffeine is harmful to your body. Although I agree THC is one of the more benign recreational drugs (alcohol is way more harmful than pot), I think it's silly to say that coffee or caffeine is way more harmful than THC, even if we just define harm as "effects which interfere with your daily life."

[/ QUOTE ]

Caffeine is a diuretic (sp?), and is well known to cause dehydration. Caffeine also raises heartrate, which is ok for some people, but not for others. So caffeine isn't the devil, but it's ignorant to think it's effects can't be harmful. Everything in moderation. Who cares which is more harmful between caffeine and THC? I hope this thread doesn't devolve into a flame war between potheads and (coffee)potheads...

stupidsucker
10-17-2005, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
. I challenge you to point me to any conclusive medical evidence that caffeine is harmful to your body.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding right? In case you are not... Just google "caffeine". I think the first FAQ at the top of the list will give you all the info you need.

[ QUOTE ]
Consider water -- we're all hopelessly addicted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no you dit'n go there...

I never should have compared THC to caffeine. They both have harmful side effects, but its apples to watermellons.

I still intake caffeine now and again. It just isn't part of my daily life. I can't give up chocolate. I will have a caffeine beverage now and again too.

Big Limpin'
10-17-2005, 09:03 PM
I drink a lot of coffee. A LOT.
I literally brew and consume a pot within several hours of waking up. A pot is ~4 mugs, and i brew that ish STRONG too.

Some days, i re-up in the afternoon.

I experience pounding headaches if i do not consume coffee.

I spend much of my day under-hydrated.

microbet
10-17-2005, 09:08 PM
Yes, that was indeed damning. Some increase in bone loss, unless you drink milk or are not a woman. Decrease in suicide. Increase in athletic performance. Anti-oxidents (coffee) whatever the hell they do. Plus, it helps you poop. But, yes, that 200th cup of coffee might not be good for you.

Chronic use of THC has some very serious side effects, such as making its users very defensive about it.

Microbet
A very moderate caffeine user who would never think of denying you your vape.

stupidsucker
10-17-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, that was indeed damning. Some increase in bone loss, unless you drink milk or are not a woman. Decrease in suicide. Increase in athletic performance. Anti-oxidents (coffee) whatever the hell they do. Plus, it helps you poop. But, yes, that 200th cup of coffee might not be good for you.

Chronic use of THC has some very serious side effects, such as making its users very defensive about it.

Microbet
A very moderate caffeine user who would never think of denying you your vape.

[/ QUOTE ]

"It's like ray-E-ain on your wedding day.....Don't ya think.."

stupidsucker
10-17-2005, 09:18 PM
can we keep this open for the rest of the day and then you can lock it... please /images/graemlins/smile.gif

IHateKeithSmart
10-17-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I drink a lot of coffee. A LOT.
I literally brew and consume a pot within several hours of waking up. A pot is ~4 mugs, and i brew that ish STRONG too.

Some days, i re-up in the afternoon.

I experience pounding headaches if i do not consume coffee.

I spend much of my day under-hydrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was me 6 months ago. A pot in the morning, and a pot after lunch.

The good thing is that the headaches will be gone in 2-3 days. When I quit, they only lasted 1 day.

jeffraider
10-17-2005, 09:41 PM
Fine [censored] caffeine who needs it but for real, leave weed out of this.

microbet
10-17-2005, 10:59 PM
No, unlike rain on your wedding day, my post is ironic.

(not really because caffeine's not bad for you /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

10-17-2005, 11:41 PM
Err, if drinking two pots max (eight mugs) in a day is
"A Lot A Lot" then I must drink A Lot A Lot A Lot A Lot
since i generally consume about two pots or so before
actually starting to get any work done in the morning.

After that its at least one more after lunch and another
in the evening, and I realize that its certainly not
healthy, my only excuse being that I'm a mathematician
(healthy Erdos reference there) (Actually I'm still an
undergraduate but I'm doing research this term).

As far as the effects of caffeine on the brain and
the various questions about dependance and effects,
you can always check this out, its pretty light reading:

Actions of Caffeine in the Brain ... (http://pharmrev.aspetjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/51/1/83)

Newt_Buggs
10-17-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll have to remember that one.

stupidsucker
10-18-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya lol, the irony in your post was funny. Not sure if it was intentional or not. I feel the need to defend myself, because I am well aware that rain on your wedding day is not at all ironic. However the song itself is perfectly ironic.

10-18-2005, 12:59 AM
Once I started taking roids to intimidate my peers at party poker I haven't felt a need to drink caffeine. As long as I beat up my parents or hit an old person in my car I'm usually fine the rest of the day.

microbet
10-18-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya lol, the irony in your post was funny. Not sure if it was intentional or not. I feel the need to defend myself, because I am well aware that rain on your wedding day is not at all ironic. However the song itself is perfectly ironic.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a genius. I was trying to think of the perfect definition of irony and that song is it.

Mr_J
10-18-2005, 01:26 AM
I drink 2L of pepsi max nearly every day. I've also drunk at least a litre of coke/pepsi a day since I was like 15-16. Then throw in all the squishies I've had since I was 10. Probally taken 10 years of the life of my heart.

I'm just glad that in 25+ years there'll be cures for all the ways I'm f*cking up my body.

Gramps
10-18-2005, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe eventualy, but I enjoy it, and honestly... caffeine is much worse for you then THC. You can die from caffeine overdose. high doses can cause all kinds of problems with the brain. Withdrawal is much worse on caffeine too.

I am not saying THC is good for you...

[/ QUOTE ]

And one out of the two negatively affects your reasoning ability...I'll let you guess which one that is.... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

brimstone1
10-18-2005, 03:02 AM
Know what... this thread has inspired me.

I've been thinking about my addictions recently, and I actually tried to quit smoking (been ~5 years now), was successful for about a month and now I'm back, and I hate myself for it.

Funny thing is, I just had caffiene-free coke last night and thought it was ok. I'm going to be buying caffiene-free only from now on.

Thanks man.

Hopefully I'll be making a similar post in about a month or so.

Oh, and congratulations.

PS/edit: I laughed at ~"when you drink that much coffee you get time travel powers ala futurama.." nice one.

I think "ala" always makes me laugh, no matter the context, but thats a complete other thread.

DrPhysic
10-18-2005, 05:14 AM
I agree completely. I have been caffene addicted for years. At least one pot of coffee in the morning, switch to iced tea at noon.

I'd love to hear Stupidsucker expound on just exactly what he thinks the advantage to not being on caffene is. And please don't give me an answer that is really "I dumped the sugar in the cokes." We know that answer.

Doc

vinyard
10-18-2005, 05:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Funny thing is, I just had caffiene-free coke last night and thought it was ok. I'm going to be buying caffiene-free only from now on.

[/ QUOTE ]
Along the same lines, for Dr Pepper drinkers caffeine-free Diet Doctor Pepper is the goods. It tastes the same (actually a little better because caffeine is so bitter) as Diet and the Diet tastes a lot more like Dr Pepper than most diets soda tastes like the sugary stuff.

Freudian
10-18-2005, 05:23 AM
I stopped drinking sodas ages ago. It is the sugar that is the big danger with them and not the caffeine.

As for caffeine, I drink six cups of coffee each day. /images/graemlins/smile.gif