PDA

View Full Version : Middle pair example

cmillard
10-17-2005, 01:29 PM
I was asked to give an example for the question about folding middle pair:
Say for instance I have J,9 in the BB with no raises. Flop comes K,J,5 rainbow. One person bets, the rest fold, I (normally call). If 4th and 5th street are checked, do I check? If there is a bet, do I automatically fold? Again, I realize it depends on the other player, I was just curious to see if there are any "general rules" to follow in this situation.
Thanks

deception5
10-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Position is also important here. If I checked and a late position player who was aggressive bet I would raise. If I checked an UTG bet into the field and everyone folded I would usually fold unless I had pot odds to continue.

If the small blind bet into me I would either raise or fold.

Fantam
10-17-2005, 01:37 PM
How big was the pot on the flop ?

cmillard
10-17-2005, 01:40 PM
This would be a .50/1.00 6 player room, so I would say $2.00 after the flop. But this is just an example, I just seem to get caught in these situations a lot, and I think I am losing money....I need a better way to play these type of hands!

Fantam
10-17-2005, 01:55 PM
As Deception5 pointed out, position is also important in making your decision.

So if only one of your opponents bet the flop from late position, there would be a reasonable chance that you still had the best hand. So check/raising would make sense.

However if UTG led with a bet into the field, I think that it would be more likely for him to have top pair or a strong draw.

So in the second situation, getting odds of about 8.5:1 to improve your hand and a pot size of say 4 small bets, I would probably fold.

10-17-2005, 02:07 PM
More detail needed.
How many people saw the flop?
What's the pot size?
Position of bettor?
I find your situation too general to make a decision.

cmillard
10-17-2005, 03:51 PM
In this situation, four players saw the flop, with the pot being $2.00. First to act, bets (.50/1.00)next two fold and I call. I was just wanting feed back on playing middle pair, it is a situation that I seen to get caught in often and was just wondering if most people fold as a general rule of thumb.
Thanks