PDA

View Full Version : Four river checks

pufferfish
06-01-2003, 07:57 PM
I'm not sure if it makes any sense to look at hands this way, but here goes. I have been trying to value bet on the river more, but I think I messed up on some of these.

In every case the river was checked through.

<pre><font class="small">code:</font><hr>Hand | Hole cards | Board | Turn play
1 [ Kd Jh ] [ Jc 9d Tc As 2h ] Check, bet (me), call.
2 [ Th Ah ] [ 3h Tc 5s Kd 3c ] Check, bet (me), call.
3 [ Th 9c ] [ Td 5c Qc 4s Jh ] Bet (me), call, call.
4 [ Qc Qh ] [ Ts 4c 5h Js Jd ] Bet (me), call, call.</pre><hr>
I hand #1 I doubt I'd have gotten a call because my opponent missed his straight draws. Same thing in hand #2.

Hand #3 is the only one I lost. Someone with a weak Queen let me do the betting. The other opponent had a Jack.

In hand #4 I think I'd have gotten a call because one of my opponents had the Ten, which was what I thought.

The one good thing about checking is that you get their cards in the hand history. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Any input would be appreciated.

pf

Homer
06-02-2003, 09:45 AM
FWIW, I would bet 1, 2 and 4, and check 3.

If I have top-pair on the flop against only one or two opponents, and an overcard comes on the turn, I pretty much ignore it (unless it also completes some flush/straight possibilities). In hands 1, 2 and 4, there are a ton of hands your opponent could be calling the turn with that don't contain the overcard that just fell. Also, if he did hit the overcard, he would probably bet out or checkraise, so since you were just called on the turn in each case there is a good chance that your hand is still good.

In terms of the clearness of value betting, I think 2 is the most clear bet, followed by 4, then 1.

-- Homer

pufferfish
06-02-2003, 12:59 PM
Hey Homer,

Thanks for replying.

I've probably been pushing my river value bets a little too far, although clearly not here.

I was down about 10BB at this $2/$4 table and it was affecting my play. I know it shouldn't, and I'm working on that, but that's the reality of it.

I appreciate getting your perspective.

TC,
pf