PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a San Francisco trip

trying2learn
10-17-2005, 12:33 PM
My wife really wants to go to San Francisco, and while I can't think of a worse time of year to go then late December...that's when we have time and the flights were cheap.

My question is this - as far as nice, upscale hotels go...what does OOT reccommend? I've heard Renaissance Parc 55 is the best...and after googling I have about 5 others that look good...but I figured I'd ask the best for your opinions too.

nyc999
10-17-2005, 12:35 PM
If you like boutique hotels - I recommend Hotel Monaco. It's a few blocks from Union Square (which isn't great in itself - but is a very central location), has cool rooms/decor and other things like free wine tastings every night, etc. I know in the summer it's around $200/night.

M2d
10-17-2005, 12:37 PM
Since I live in the area, I've never stayed in any hotels around here, so I can't give you any specific recommendations on the hotels. However, you should figure out what you want to do while in town and look for a hotel in a convenient area.

trying2learn
10-17-2005, 12:40 PM
thanks for the advice...I've only been once, years ago. we're gonna be doing touristy things, I would guess fisherman's wharf, cable car-ing around, haight/ashberry...etc. any suggestions for good places to check out? I don't think it will be a good time of year to go up north and do the wine country thing for a day...but maybe I'm wrong with that too.

samjjones
10-17-2005, 12:41 PM
My wife and I went out in March for a couple of days, and we stayed at the Pan Pacific in Union Sq. $170 a night for 400 sq. foot room. Was very clean and quiet, near cable cars/restaurants, etc.

M2d
10-17-2005, 12:47 PM
late december as in after xmas? if it's before xmas, union square area will be an absolute zoo with shoppers. after, less so, but you still catch the post holiday sales.

napa might be a bit cold and the drive back will be dark and possibly wet, as it can get rainy and the days are short then. still doable, but you don't get the late afternoon scenery that you have in the summer. less traffic around the wineries, though, which is a good thing. my wife and I went up there last superbowl weekend and it was cool. not that many people around, so no waiting around and such.

a day or overnight trip to monterey might be an option as well. a little darker than the famous pictures, but still a pretty area.

samjjones
10-17-2005, 12:50 PM
We stayed in the city for the duration of our 3 day stay. In hindsight, I wish we would have taken a trip to Napa/Sonoma. Next time...

SF is a great city. You will have a good time.

trying2learn
10-17-2005, 12:55 PM
we are going to be there the 27-30, so we'll dodge the shopping madness. i think we may try to go up to wine country afterall for one of the days then, as the lower trafic sounds great to me.

hotel monaco was another on the list...thanks again for the notes...

nyc999
10-17-2005, 01:17 PM
In addition to Hotel Monaco, I've also stayed at the Pan Pacific (previously mentioned in this thread). It was nice, had a business traveler feel.

Napa is absolutely worth the trip. On my last trip to SF I stayed in Napa for 3 nights and SF for 4. I wish I did something like 4/5 nights Napa, 2/3 nights SF. Of course, not as much to do that time of year, but its gorgeous and there are some great places to stay. I highly recommend the Harvest Inn in St. Helena.

Ulysses
10-17-2005, 01:44 PM
When you check out some prices and figure out a few hotels that might work, post them here and I'll tell you how they are.

trying2learn
10-17-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When you check out some prices and figure out a few hotels that might work, post them here and I'll tell you how they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, in addition to Pan Pacific, Hotel Monaco, Renaissance Parc 55 - which have all been recommended to me and fit within the price range...there's also the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf, Hyatt Regency, and the Park Hyatt. Those are the options we've narrowed it down to as of now...unless we're missing a good one.

nyc999
10-17-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, in addition to Pan Pacific, Hotel Monaco, Renaissance Parc 55 - which have all been recommended to me and fit within the price range...there's also the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf, Hyatt Regency, and the Park Hyatt. Those are the options we've narrowed it down to as of now...unless we're missing a good one.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I've heard, stay away from the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf.

trying2learn
10-17-2005, 02:03 PM
gracias - too many good ones it sounds like to risk a not so good one.

Ulysses
10-17-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These hotels are all fine. One of those Hyatts is by the Embarcadero, one is near Union Square. Either are a fine base of operations. Overall, the hotels you're listing are all fine. However, for the same price, you might be able to (depending on exact dates) get into a smaller more "charming" hotel that maybe might be more fun for you if you guys are into getting the "San Francisco" flavor. Mainly, that just means really small rooms, but chicks seem to dig it.

I agree that the Sheraton is a little dumpier than the rest. The Hyatt / Pan Pacific / Parc 55 are all pretty much the same, maybe Pan Pacific is a little nicer. Hotel Monaco is very different in that it is much more whimisical and artsy in style and less oriented to business travelers. Of the list, I'd pick whatever was cheapest. If they are all similar, I'd go w/ Hotel Monaco. Anyway, if you have specific dates and a price you're aiming for, I can put them into Expedia and let you know if any other boutique hotel stands out.

JordanIB
10-17-2005, 02:16 PM
What about the W?

Ulysses
10-17-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and while I can't think of a worse time of year to go then late December...that's when we have time and the flights were cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually a fine time to visit. Sometimes you'll catch a little rain, but it's often beautiful, clear, and crisp.

nyc999
10-17-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What about the W?

[/ QUOTE ]

From my experience...probably booked. I try to get in there every time I visit SF. But I've heard great things.

ebaudry
10-18-2005, 05:46 AM
If you can afford cabs and such, I would stay anywhere in Marin county and come down to SF during the day.

In berkeley the Claremont Resort and Spa is amazing.