PDA

View Full Version : set of Aces vs. Flush on River

pstripling
10-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Here is a hand that came up that I wanted to get some feedback on. UTG had been at table for 3 rounds and had only played 2 hands, neither of which went to a showdown. He raised preflop and folded a multiway pot on the turn against lots of action. I had no read other than he seemed to be somewhat solid. Did I play this correctly?

10 Handed PartyPoker 3/6

UTG raises, everyone folds to Hero, CO, reraises (A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif), folded to UTG who calls

2 players 7.5 sb
FLOP: 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG checks, Hero bets, UTG calls

2 Players 4.5 bb
TURN: J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG checks, Hero bets, UTG Raises, Hero Calls

2 Players 8.5 bb
RIVER: A /images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG bets, Hero calls?

Is a call or raise the best option here. Thanks for any input

10-17-2005, 12:34 PM
I think that I would raise here. He raised UTG so the only likely holding that makes a flush is K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I think he is more likely to have something like AJ, KK, QQ, or JJ here.

krimson
10-17-2005, 12:34 PM
It's an UTG raise, I think we'll see AJ, KJ or QQ/KK here more often than a flush. I put in 1 raise and call a 3-bet.

hobbsmann
10-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Since you hold the A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif this is a very easy river raise IMO. The only hand a solid player who raises UTG could have here that beats you is K/images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Don't go looking for monsters under the bed.

10-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Yep, an easy raise here.

What about if we get 3-bet? Call or cap? AJ/JJ/88 all seem more likely than a flush here for reasons already mentioned.

shant
10-17-2005, 01:08 PM
What about 3-betting the turn?

hobbsmann
10-17-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is viable as well.

felix83
10-17-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this move a lot; there's the flush redraw, and he may already have the best hand. If the guy does have QQ or KK, you're maximizing your profit in this case, because he's much less likely to put in any more money with an A on the river (or a 4th diamond if he has say, the Qd).

W. Deranged
10-17-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this move a lot; there's the flush redraw, and he may already have the best hand. If the guy does have QQ or KK, you're maximizing your profit in this case, because he's much less likely to put in any more money with an A on the river (or a 4th diamond if he has say, the Qd).

[/ QUOTE ]

We should note that we have: ~9 outs against a set, 7 against a made flush, and as many as 17 against two pair. With a hand that is likely to be good here and to have on average 20% equity or more when behind, three-betting the turn is very viable. The point about the potential for a river that'll scare away the hands we're beating is pretty important as well.

It would suck to get capped on the turn after three-betting, but it's not awful because we have so many outs.

I'm assuming that we are planning on folding the river unimproved if capped on the turn? If we can do this, I like three-betting a whole lot better. If not, I think it may behoove us to play the turn lightly so as to avoid having to put in 5 BB on a one pair hand or be put in a position of folding a winner in a sizeable pot.

pstripling
10-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Clearly the play on the river was to raise, and a strong case was to be made for 3 betting the turn. If you instead held A /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/spade.gif which frees up the A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif that clearly takes away the 3 bet on the turn but, does it turn the river into a call?