PDA

View Full Version : The Official "I hate Vlad Guerrero" thread

Clarkmeister
10-17-2005, 11:35 AM
1 for 20 vs the Sox in the LCS. .428 OPS (not OBP) in the playoffs. Surely he should be reviled more than ARod.

Voltron87
10-17-2005, 11:45 AM
just think of what would have happened if the yankees had signed him and he performed like this... the yankees are criticized for not signing him, and would have been crucified after this playoff performance.

Jack of Arcades
10-17-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1 for 20 vs the Sox in the LCS. .428 OPS (not OBP) in the playoffs. Surely he should be reviled more than ARod.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was about to post this myself.

pokerdirty
10-17-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
just think of what would have happened if the yankees had signed him and he performed like this... the yankees are criticized for not signing him, and would have been crucified after this playoff performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

this sounds familiar...

EDIT - Not to hijack the thread, but haven't the sports boards been sort of quiet lately since the yankees lost?

Clarkmeister
10-17-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this sounds familiar...

EDIT - Not to hijack the thread, but haven't the sports boards been sort of quiet lately since the yankees lost?

[/ QUOTE ]

They are more queit since K Steel stopped posting, I know that. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

mrbaseball
10-17-2005, 11:56 AM
I'm thinking Pepsi might rethink the "stars" it uses in next years post season advertising campaign.

Voltron87
10-17-2005, 12:07 PM
im kind of baseballed out. i watched pretty much every yankee game the whole season, im not really in the mood to watch more right now. especially not when there are 2 series on. i'll watch the WS though.

JayLear
10-17-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking Pepsi might rethink the "stars" it uses in next years post season advertising campaign.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was noticing that last night as well. Too bad they're not allowed to throw the ball up to themselves and hit it in the postseason.

offTopic
10-17-2005, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Next year, they each toss the ball in the air, and hit a grounder to short.

SCfuji
10-17-2005, 12:39 PM
this may not mean much but big daddy vlad was pretty key in getting the angels to the alcs.

edit: getting them to the play-offs.

andyfox
10-17-2005, 01:14 PM
One of the columnists in today's L.A. Times criticized Vlad for what he said when asked whether he felt responsible for the Angeles losing. He said the Angels are a team, they win or lose as a team. Which, of course, is correct.

The columnist than contrasted what Vlad said with what A-Rod said ("I played like a dog.") He felt A-Rod took responsibility and Vlad passed the buck.

We should get someone to ask the reporter if he takes responsibility for the diminishing circulation of the Times.

istewart
10-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Will read replies in a moment; good idea for a thread.

Los Feliz Slim
10-17-2005, 02:20 PM
He definitely choked, but a case can be made that since players like Figgins weren't hitting, he thought he had to hit it out of the park every time he went to bat.

andyfox
10-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Couldn't he have gone into a slump without "choking"? Did Figgins choke?

ThaSaltCracka
10-17-2005, 02:33 PM
Vlad has always been a pimp. One series means nothing to me.

Arod on the other hand has always been a douche, so one series is critical.

10-17-2005, 03:15 PM
I watched close to 140 angels games this year. Vlad had several slumps of 20+ AB's. It's unfortunate that one happened in the playoffs.

He's no dog though. Last year, he was the reason the angels reached the playoffs. His last month of the sesson was out of this world.

As for the win as a team, lose as a team: He doesn't take the credit when the team wins. He's happy just being one of the guys. That's his personality.

I /images/graemlins/heart.gif Vlad. (In a manly sort of way) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Los Feliz Slim
10-17-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Couldn't he have gone into a slump without "choking"? Did Figgins choke?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the reason I describe it as a "choke" rather than a "slump" is because of the timing - it happened when his performance was most crucial. He's paid an assload of money to step up at times like that. Figgins I consider more of a role player.

But point taken. I like Vlad.

10-17-2005, 06:33 PM
Arod was coached by his media advisor what to say.
Being calm under pressure and not worrying to much what others think probably help in these clutch playoff situations. Anybody can have a bad series.

10-17-2005, 06:41 PM
vlad must have chased every bad pitch in history in this series

TobDog
10-17-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We should get someone to ask the reporter if he takes responsibility for the diminishing circulation of the Times.

[/ QUOTE ]

They do that as a team, their agenda gets in the way of reporting 99+% of the time.

mason55
10-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Funny write up about this on the Fire Joe Morgan blog.

(http://firejoemorgan.blogspot.com)

andyfox
10-17-2005, 08:51 PM
He does that all the time, though, even when he's hitting the ball well.

andyfox
10-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Fair enough. I suppose if we define "choking" as failing to perform in the clutch, he choked. I guess I dfefine it as snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Which my Yankees did last year. /images/graemlins/frown.gif