PDA

View Full Version : Kicking a Mod off the island: Discussion thread

MEbenhoe
10-17-2005, 10:19 AM
Clarkmeister proposed this idea in the Mod Battle thread, and it was approved by Mat. Clark then put power into my hands to run this thing so I would like to do this competition the justice it deserves. This discussion thread is meant to determine the rules and such of this competition.

1. Does the loser of this competition absolutely lose his mod powers or is he simply put up for a review in which he can be saved through some series of challenges, etc?

2. I'm thinking for more fun this should be done survivor style where people are voted off(saved in this instance) and the last person remaining is actually the loser. I think this would be more fun than a tournament, any other thoughts?

3. What is a fair way to do this so that a good mod from another forum doesnt end up being the one voted off simply because no one in OOT has heard of him?

4. Any other issues?

plenty of time to discuss as I'd plan on starting this as soon as the Mod Battle contest is over. I propose that the two mods who reach the final of that contest will be given a free card out of the survivor contest.

rt1
10-17-2005, 10:21 AM
craig r automatically wins because his is a mod in 2 forums /images/graemlins/grin.gif

steelcmg
10-17-2005, 10:22 AM
Well maybe it should only be mods that post in OOT. Either have them banned from OOT or they cannot be a mod anymore.

steelcmg
10-17-2005, 10:27 AM
How funny would it be if everyone voted that mat had to lose his Mod powers.

SackUp
10-17-2005, 10:30 AM
So you are basically saying, [censored] is going to get fcked by his own game? Hilarious.

fnord_too
10-17-2005, 10:33 AM
This idea has some major flaws. The only people who (should) have any say in a discussion of a forum mod are the forum users themselves (or 2+2 propper). There is no way I see around this, unless we just did it for OOT mods, but the OOT mods are doing alright.

Also, this sort of thing has a big conceptual problem: the people who drift along never doing anything are less likely to get voted off, but actions will always have people who resent them. Also, it encourages pandering to the lowest comon denominator, which is a lousy trait to encourage in mods.

Los Feliz Slim
10-17-2005, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So you are basically saying, [censored] is going to get fcked by his own game? Hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very hilarious, but if that's what this is about, let's cut to the chase.

ononimo
10-17-2005, 10:36 AM
in the spirit of the original idea (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3693156&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1) , i think the penalty for the loser should be the complete loss of moderator status - no further review necessary.

AngryCola
10-17-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's pretty obvious this is the direction it's headed.

ononimo
10-17-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This idea has some major flaws. The only people who (should) have any say in a discussion of a forum mod are the forum users themselves (or 2+2 propper).

[/ QUOTE ]

this is correct.

[ QUOTE ]
unless we just did it for OOT mods, but the OOT mods are doing alright.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is incorrect.

MEbenhoe
10-17-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's pretty obvious this is the direction it's headed.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, given [censored]'s popularity from the original seeding thread of the Mod Battle contest, I have a feeling he has enough supporters that he'd get saved pretty early on.

AngryCola
10-17-2005, 10:47 AM
Can you think of one single mod other than [censored] who has as many 'haters' out there? The only one who even comes close is Dynasty. Are you really telling me that you think the people of OOT will vote for Dynasty to go over [censored]?

Honestly, if you can think of anyone else who would stand a good chance to 'win' this contest, I'm all ears. I include myself in that, too.

If it's not the haters who win out in this thing, the person to go will simply be the most unknown.

MEbenhoe
10-17-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can you think of one single mod other than [censored] who has as many 'haters' out there? The only one who even comes close is Dynasty. Are you really telling me that you think the people of OOT will vote for Dynasty to go over [censored]?

Honestly, if you can think of anyone else who would stand a good chance to 'win' this contest, I'm all ears. I include myself in that, too. Because if it's not the haters who win out in this thing, the person to go will simply be the most unknown.

[/ QUOTE ]

well the way i was thinking of doing it, you start with the list of mods, and you vote for who you want to save, and say the first time, top 5 are saved, etc. [censored] would get saved quite fast that way. Also, this requires people to actively want to keep a mod for them to not lose.

AngryCola
10-17-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
well the way i was thinking of doing it, you start with the list of mods, and you vote for who you want to save, and say the first time, top 5 are saved, etc. [censored] would get saved quite fast that way. Also, this requires people to actively want to keep a mod for them to not lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the way it goes, I might be wrong about half of what I said. The unknowns would definitely suffer the most in this format.

Blarg
10-17-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
3. What is a fair way to do this so that a good mod from another forum doesnt end up being the one voted off simply because no one in OOT has heard of him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because of this, I don't think it can be done in a fair way. If the contest were posted in every single forum, and the votes collected from there, it would be one thing. But a forum in OOT about mods elsewhere that OOT types may never even have heard of doesn't really make sense. And many of them may have heard of all of us as little as we have heard of them.

ononimo
10-17-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Honestly, if you can think of anyone else who would stand a good chance to 'win' this contest, I'm all ears. I include myself in that, too. Because if it's not the haters who win out in this thing, the person to go will simply be the most unknown.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this method clearly penalizes mods from other forums. given what is at risk, i'm not sure that there's any method that would be just for mods of other forums but this method is definitely among the worst.

maybe this should be an OOT mod-only competition.

xorbie
10-17-2005, 11:08 AM
This is seriously retarded.

Dave G.
10-17-2005, 11:10 AM
This is stupid. All these competitions are stupid. I can't believe this is actually going to be used to select who is fit to moderate and who is not.

BruceZ does some awesome work over in Probability, but he'd probably be the first ones to go because he's not very well known here (or so it seems).

I wouldn't blame him if he decided not to come back to 2+2 because his mod powers were stripped in a ridiculous contest like this one - and, frankly, BruceZ would be a much greater loss to 2+2 than [censored] would be or ever will be. Even if he didn't leave, it's totally disrespectful to all the work he's done to do this just because he hasn't spent hundreds of hours upping his post count in OOT and arranging a legion of ass kissers to back his every boneheaded decision.

Man, I feel like I'm back in the primary school playground whenever I come here lately.

flair1239
10-17-2005, 11:10 AM
In all the forums, OOT and otherwise; it does not appear that the Mods are the problem in any of them.

The annoying things that occur in all forums are either caused unintentionally by new posters, by retards and trolls, or surly experienced posters who are in a rut of flaming everybody.

I can't really see any benefit to the community in subjecting mods to the discipline of the relatively confused masses.

AngryCola
10-17-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's the way it's done, we all know where it would lead.

The contest being set up in a manner in which one person has to lose/win/whatever would only end one way if it's restricted to OOT mods.

MEbenhoe
10-17-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's the way it's done, we all know where it would lead.

The contest being set up in a manner in which one person has to lose/win/whatever would only end one way if we are talking about only OOT mods.

[/ QUOTE ]

what if the only people involved in the contest were mods who spent any significant time in OOT at all?

AngryCola
10-17-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

what if the only people involved in the contest were mods who spent any significant time in OOT at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it will be difficult to make that distinction.

Hopefully you don't think I'm just trying to be critical here. It's just that, if it's done, I don't want to see it done in a way that's unfair to some of the people we are talking about.

xorbie
10-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Then it would still be retarded.

Blarg
10-17-2005, 11:18 AM
This is one of those ideas that works better as a draft than as a finished product.

bwana devil
10-17-2005, 11:22 AM
OK we can begin mod elimination.

Our first contest is a grudge match that has been in the making for sometime.

[names of mods]

only one to be eliminated.

The rules. You can vote by one of two methods. Post your vote below for who leaves or if you would rather you can PM me.

The contestants are free to state their case or otherwise attempt to sway people's vote.

To be eligible to vote. You must have been a 2+2 member since [fill in the blank] have more than [fill in the blank] posts and not be a gimmick account.

Good luck to both. Polls close at [fill in the blank].

Enjoy!

Clarkmeister
10-17-2005, 11:23 AM
It should definitely include all mods. Manual vote. Maybe a post in each forum to let those users know. Let the people speak!

My vote is in the other thread. gl

bwana devil
10-17-2005, 11:25 AM
i think [censored] should hang himself w/ his own words.

MEbenhoe
10-17-2005, 11:25 AM
so according to this write up I should just subjectively pick two mods to put up....? i dont think i've been authorized to take that much power into my own hands.

4_2_it
10-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Why would you want to get rid of mods (like xorbie) who actually add to the betterment of this site by policing the other forums and corralling all the idiots into OOT for [censored] to cull?

First [censored]'s mission must be completed before any consideration should be given to banning mods. I predict this could last well into the next decade with the current level of infestation.

Also, is there a long list of qualified mods ready to step in after one loses the popularity contest? I do not think so.

When angrycola considered stepping down as a mod, Mat wanted him to stay. I can't believe Mat would want OOT to vote angrycola off the site becuase he's not as 'cool' as Commodus /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

bwana devil
10-17-2005, 11:28 AM
no. it's edited so any and all mods could be listed.

MEbenhoe
10-17-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, is there a long list of qualified mods ready to step in after one loses the popularity contest? I do not think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sure there are plenty of people on this site who would do just as good of a job as a mod as any of the current mods.

mslif
10-17-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Xorbie.
I am also kind of sick of voting and all this popular contest crap. People who were bitching about making a spectacle out of banning in the Thinman v. Jake's thread are not all giddy about getting mods voted off or losing their status. Way to stick to your guns.
This is stupid and unfair to the mods from other forums.

nolanfan34
10-17-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
BruceZ does some awesome work over in Probability, but he'd probably be the first ones to go because he's not very well known here (or so it seems).

I wouldn't blame him if he decided not to come back to 2+2 because his mod powers were stripped in a ridiculous contest like this one - and, frankly, BruceZ would be a much greater loss to 2+2 than [censored] would be or ever will be. Even if he didn't leave, it's totally disrespectful to all the work he's done to do this just because he hasn't spent hundreds of hours upping his post count in OOT and arranging a legion of ass kissers to back his every boneheaded decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed 100%. Funny idea on paper, not one that's executable.

AngryCola
10-17-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i'm sure there are plenty of people on this site who would do just as good of a job as a mod as any of the current mods.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would be surprised.

4_2_it
10-17-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To paraphrase the immortal words of xorbie:

[ QUOTE ]
That thought is seriously retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

MEbenhoe
10-17-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You would be surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

no offense, but i'm pretty sure i could easily do your job, and i'm pretty sure there are plenty of others who could too. i'm not saying you're doing a bad job or anything, cuz i actually think you're fine as a mod, just saying it could just as easily be done by others.

diebitter
10-17-2005, 11:35 AM
I'm not getting involved in any of these 'thunderdome' threads on principle (they are hateful, elitist, mob-driven and stupid) - and am ashamed I actually fed into the initial ideas around the OOT one - but I just have to say this one thing.

Mods are okay in my book, do a mostly thankless job, and deserve better than this particlar 'game', which fosters division and anger.

And I'm only kissing ass a bit there.

xorbie
10-17-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for all the various forums, but at least in the NL forums mods were chosen more or less by public approval. The idea of voting off one of a group of people chosen in such a manner is completely retarded. How someone can be unable to grasp this concept is really beyond me.

If a mod was actually doing a poor enough job that they would need to lose their powers, it should (and would) be the posters in their forum who make that call.

BradleyT
Mat's a [censored] retard if he's approving all this [censored].

fnord_too
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are quite incorrect here.

AngryCola
10-17-2005, 11:37 AM
A lot of the people who are capable of doing these things aren't willing to be mods. Also, merely being capable of the job doesn't mean the person is well suited for the role.

[ QUOTE ]
Im pretty sure i could easily do your job

[/ QUOTE ]

We will see how things go in the Politics Forum. You may end up regretting that statement. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MEbenhoe
10-17-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for all the various forums, but at least in the NL forums mods were chosen more or less by public approval. The idea of voting off one of a group of people chosen in such a manner is completely retarded. How someone can be unable to grasp this concept is really beyond me.

If a mod was actually doing a poor enough job that they would need to lose their powers, it should (and would) be the posters in their forum who make that call.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're complaining a lot, so i figured i'd point out one simple thing to you. I would never have done this had Mat not said he thought it was a good idea, take that into consideration.

tonypaladino
10-17-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the way it goes, I might be wrong about half of what I said. The unknowns would definitely suffer the most in this format.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. A much better idea would be to vote mods off, survivor style. Maybe have 3 rounds, and a certain number with the least "off" votes would be removed after each round.

This would protect unknown mods, since no one would not like them.

Also, I'd imagine all of 2+2 would be voting b/c all the mods would push their forums to come to oot and vote.

MEbenhoe
10-17-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. A much better idea would be to vote mods off, survivor style. Maybe have 3 rounds, and a certain number with the least "off" votes would be removed after each round.

This would protect unknown mods, since no one would not like them.

Also, I'd imagine all of 2+2 would be voting b/c all the mods would push their forums to come to oot and vote.

[/ QUOTE ]

ooo i actually like this idea better.

xorbie
10-17-2005, 11:43 AM
None of us would be mods if Mat didn't think it was a good idea. Take that into consideration. At first I thought this was retarded, but almost funny, in a "wouldn't that be kinda cool even though I know it'll never happen" way.

Now it's just getting pathetic. Your idea sucks, I'm sorry, better luck next time, perhaps try a trip report on what your dump smelled like after Taco Bell.

B Dids
10-17-2005, 11:44 AM
I'm all for OOT being as goofy as it can, but once we start messing with other forums it's not cool. Not a great idea.

AngryCola
10-17-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would never do this.

Even if I did, I'm not sure if I would get much support out of it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

EDIT-
In fact, I'll lock any threads about this contest posted in the Mag. or Politics Forum unless I get some directive to do otherwise.

Clarkmeister
10-17-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you're complaining a lot, so i figured i'd point out one simple thing to you. I would never have done this had Mat not said he thought it was a good idea, take that into consideration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just do it. It should tell you something that all the most vocal complainers are mods. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

In any line of "work" it's inconceivable that of a party of 30-40, the worst one doesn't suck.

At the very least, you conduct the competition and the two "finalists" each get put to a vote in their own forum(s) for a manual yes or no vote. But this is completely doable.

And whoever said that it's a hard job is seriously out of their mind. Other than Politics and possibly OOT, it's the easiest thing in the world. The only thing is that it's time consuming. I'd guess that most of the people who would be the best mods want nothing to do with it because of the hassle. It also seems to me that anyone who really, really, really *wants* to be a mod, is at least a little suspect from the get-go.

Blarg
10-17-2005, 11:47 AM
I propose that the punishment for losing be harsher than banishment. The loser should be forced to use a close up of his own face for an avatar for at least one year or however long it takes for everyone to get over the shock value.

AngryCola
10-17-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
t should tell you something that all the most vocal complainers are mods.

[/ QUOTE ]

In case some people don't get my posts, I'm not complaining about it at all.

I just hope that, if it's done, it's done right.

Clarkmeister
10-17-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
None of us would be mods if Mat didn't think it was a good idea. Take that into consideration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mat liked it. Take that into consideration.

The fact that you are objecting so vociferously leads me to believe I should change my vote to you from Mike Haven. What are you worried about?

xorbie
10-17-2005, 11:49 AM
I just want to clarify. I'm not complaining because I think I'm going to get voted off. SSNL seems to like the job I've been doing, enough not to complain too much at any rate.

It's just that the idea of voting off the people who spend their own time trying to make your time here better is, as I've said, seriously retarded. Mods should be worried about their own forums think they're doing, not worried about pandering to some fucksticks in OOT.

Clarkmeister
10-17-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's just that the idea of voting off the people who spend their own time trying to make your time here better is, as I've said, seriously retarded

[/ QUOTE ]

Intentions mean nothing without execution.

So fuckstick is an ok forum word now? Excellent.

Voltron87
10-17-2005, 11:51 AM
im a big fan of the other competition but i dont get this one.

MEbenhoe
10-17-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Now it's just getting pathetic. Your idea sucks, I'm sorry, better luck next time, perhaps try a trip report on what your dump smelled like after Taco Bell.

[/ QUOTE ]

well it wasnt actually even my idea, i was just asked to run with it. i thought it was a fun idea when first put up, others thought it was fun, Mat thought it was fun, so what the hell.

the main point is though, if mods arent allowed to be subjected to this type of contest by the users of this forum, then maybe mods shouldnt be allowed to subject the users of this forum to the same type of contest? i have nothing against [censored]'s contest, but why the double standard?

fnord_too
10-17-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

At the very least, you conduct the competition and the two "finalists" each get put to a vote in their own forum(s) for a manual yes or no vote. But this is completely doable.

And whoever said that it's a hard job is seriously out of their mind. Other than Politics and possibly OOT, it's the easiest thing in the world. The only thing is that it's time consuming. I'd guess that most of the people who would be the best mods want nothing to do with it because of the hassle. It also seems to me that anyone who really, really, really *wants* to be a mod, is at least a little suspect from the get-go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting their vote in their own forum just makes the most popular forum win (unless the mod is reviled, but most are not).

Hard is a relative term. For good active moderation, look at STT where bad threads get locked quickly and (relatively) off topic posts fit in just fine. Or MTT (which I don't read much anymore) where the mods are taking the time to coordinate active, insightful discussion on interesting hands played by some of the better MTT players.

For "easy" moderation, look at the stud forum where Andy B has put together a great FAQ and comments on most threads. No, neither of those require him to be a mod, and the forum is so well behaved no active moderation is needed that I can see, but if any is I'm sure Andy will get the job done effectively.

The actual desire to try to make things better, the time to devote to the task, and effectiveness are not traits that coincide that often.

Blarg
10-17-2005, 11:55 AM
Agreed. OOT idiocies should not be exported.

uw_madtown
10-17-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clarkmeister
10-17-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the idea of the two finalists don't automatically get kicked out, rather, they each get put to a yes or no manual vote in their own forums. It could therefore work out that none ultimately lose their moderation post.

Or just have the winner of the tourney lose, that's ok too.

We could even allow people to vote for "none" with the two finalists. So the final round could be a 3-choice deal.

But I'm not so sure why we should bend over backwards to protect the mods from being kicked out to be honest with you. There is a bottom 10% - let's upgrade.

flair1239
10-17-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You would be surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

no offense, but i'm pretty sure i could easily do your job, and i'm pretty sure there are plenty of others who could too. i'm not saying you're doing a bad job or anything, cuz i actually think you're fine as a mod, just saying it could just as easily be done by others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could and would are two different things. If you want to be a Mod make it known.

As one of the other posters said, there are too many Mods who are good posters but relatively unknown to some of the blockheads here, who could too easily be eliminated.

I don't think Mod decisionas should be left to the whim of the average OOT poster.

lorinda
10-17-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just want to clarify. I'm not complaining because I think I'm going to get voted off. SSNL seems to like the job I've been doing, enough not to complain too much at any rate.

It's just that the idea of voting off the people who spend their own time trying to make your time here better is, as I've said, seriously retarded. Mods should be worried about their own forums think they're doing, not worried about pandering to some fucksticks in OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that there is much difference between SSNL and OOT, except that I'm exiled from one and (so far) not the other.

I think that someone who nobody has heard of, who moderates the worst forum on the site probably has other motives when complaining about a mod being voted off.

Lori

4_2_it
10-17-2005, 12:00 PM
This contest is the equivalent of the letting the 5th grade class vote which teacher should get fired. The gym teacher who add little to the education process is safe while the science teacher with a PhD will be in the unemployment line.

Remember to be careful what you wish for.

xorbie
10-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Whoa now. Worst forum on the site?

ononimo
10-17-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ladies and gentlemen, let us not become distracted from the true purpose behind this exercise.

Clarkmeister
10-17-2005, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ladies and gentlemen, let us not become distracted from the true purpose behind this exercise.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's certainly not my purpose. There are lots of people I'd vote off before him.

ononimo
10-17-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's certainly not my purpose. There are lots of people I'd vote off before him.

[/ QUOTE ]

i apologize ... i shouldn't have implied that was YOUR purpose. however, it is the only reason that I am in interested in seeing this experiment through.

bwana devil
10-17-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i apologize ... i shouldn't have implied that was YOUR purpose. however, it is the only reason that I am in interested in seeing this experiment through.

[/ QUOTE ]

i concur. i only want this experiment to take place for one reason and one reason only. it will be the greatest irony if he gets himself banned.

mason55
10-17-2005, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that there is much difference between SSNL and OOT, except that I'm exiled from one and (so far) not the other.

I think that someone who nobody has heard of, who moderates the worst forum on the site probably has other motives when complaining about a mod being voted off.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm biased cause it's my home forum, but you think SSNL is worse than The Zoo or WPT or the "paid for" forums!? That is absolutely ridiculous.

Boris
10-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Lame idea. And unoriginal to boot.

lorinda
10-17-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm biased cause it's my home forum, but you think SSNL is worse than The Zoo or WPT or the "paid for" forums!? That is absolutely ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it won the worst forum award last time there was a poll.
Unless things have changed radically, I don't see that it could possibly have gained enough ground.

Lori

TheMainEvent
10-17-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is stupid. All these competitions are stupid. I can't believe this is actually going to be used to select who is fit to moderate and who is not.

Man, I feel like I'm back in the primary school playground whenever I come here lately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent post, I completely agree.

10-17-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

...I would never have done this had Mat not said he thought it was a good idea, take that into consideration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps he was giving you enough rope to hang yourself? That's what I'd have done.

btw, most of this fighting sounds like a bunch of little gurls during recess. There have been valid, thoughtful points made, but much of it is nothing but cliques on the attack. These things turn into popularity contests.

Randy_Refeld
10-17-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to say if you are exiled form the forum it is pretty bad.

lorinda
10-17-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would have to say if you are exiled form the forum it is pretty bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a chance that this makes me biased I guess.

Lori

4_2_it
10-17-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it won the worst forum award last time there was a poll.
Unless things have changed radically, I don't see that it could possibly have gained enough ground.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

An OOT poll voted SSNL worst forum? That is exhibit A for why this is a bad idea.

SSNL is one of the forums that sticks to its primary mission and doesn't have a lot of whining and off topic posts. I understand that not everyone is interested in SSNL but it does provide its posters a place to gain and share knowledge.

Note to xorbie: I will have to try to remember to add some YSSCKY and SIIHP comments in the SSNL forum so it will 'feel' more like home to the poor OOT poster who misclicks on it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

lorinda
10-17-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
An OOT poll voted SSNL worst forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it was a zoo poll, but I can't find it so there's a chance it was deleted.

[ QUOTE ]
I understand that not everyone is interested in SSNL but it does provide its posters a place to gain and share inaccurate and useless information

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Lori

Voltron87
10-17-2005, 12:31 PM
how is anything but the wpt forum the worst forum?

also, there are a bunch of good posters in ssnl, myself included.

Clarkmeister
10-17-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how is anything but the wpt forum the worst forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

mason55
10-17-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I understand that not everyone is interested in SSNL but it does provide its posters a place to gain and share inaccurate and useless information

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Maybe you haven't been to SSNL in awhile. There are lots of good posters there.

10-17-2005, 12:36 PM
[censored] as a #9 seed lost to the #24 seed in the Mod Battle to a Mod that isn't even an OOT Mod. That makes it pretty obvious people don't want him here.

lorinda
10-17-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you haven't been to SSNL in awhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm exiled from the forum. I promised never to post there again, so I won't. I have looked in there very occasionally and seen nothing to make me regret being booted out.

Lori

4_2_it
10-17-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
An OOT poll voted SSNL worst forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it was a zoo poll, but I can't find it so there's a chance it was deleted.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

YSSCKY

(FYI --I think this is the first time I've posted this and I think I got it right.)

lorinda
10-17-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
YSSCKY

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes, and the people there are pretty much hateful bastards too.

Lori

Mat Sklansky
10-17-2005, 12:39 PM
I'm fairly certain that only I have the ability (excluding other administrators) to give and remove moderation powers. No moderator will automatically lose those powers as a result of a single contest.

So "saving" people is not the way to run this. It should be run exactly the way the best mod contest was run.

The reason I'm OK with this, is because I'm curious to see if there are moderators I've assigned who are really standing out as doing a poor job.

I realize that by giving my rationale in this case, I may be ruining some of the fun, but I don't want the moderators on this site, who have been quite wonderful, to start feeling their efforts have been useless and that they can be removed at a whim.

4_2_it
10-17-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
YSSCKY

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes, and the people there are pretty much hateful bastards too.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot meet kettle.

zipppy
10-17-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is seriously what it would be, and that's a horrible way to get rid of a mod.

flair1239
10-17-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm fairly certain that only I have the ability (excluding other administrators) to give and remove moderation powers. No moderator will automatically lose those powers as a result of a single contest.

So "saving" people is not the way to run this. It should be run exactly the way the best mod contest was run.

The reason I'm OK with this, is because I'm curious to see if there are moderators I've assigned who are really standing out as doing a poor job.

I realize that by giving my rationale in this case, I may be ruining some of the fun, but I don't want the moderators on this site, who have been quite wonderful, to start feeling their efforts have been useless and that they can be removed at a whim.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think an OOT vote would really help you gain a handle on this?

For instance from what I can see a relatively high percentage of these guys don't post in the strategy forums.

Even MEbenhoe himself, is a pretty infrequent contributor these days. I don't see how you will get an idea of anything based upon this contest.

But I guess from your comments in your post, it does not really matter if the contest is run or not.

SackUp
10-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Mat has spoken.

Let the contest begin.

It should definitely be someone voted to get booted as opposed to saved so the lesser known mods do not get punished. It should be the mod that has not been doing a good job that is booted and that person will be one that is very noticeable.

lorinda
10-17-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mat has spoken.

Let the contest begin.

It should definitely be someone voted to get booted as opposed to saved so the lesser known mods do not get punished. It should be the mod that has not been doing a good job that is booted and that person will be one that is very noticeable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that instead of people being paired, they should be in sets of three, so that it is not a straight popularity contest.

Voting for the one you wanted removed from a set of three would allow those who "Don't do much wrong" to escape much more easily than in a straight heads up vote.

Lori

MrWookie47
10-17-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the idea of the two finalists don't automatically get kicked out, rather, they each get put to a yes or no manual vote in their own forums. It could therefore work out that none ultimately lose their moderation post.

Or just have the winner of the tourney lose, that's ok too.

We could even allow people to vote for "none" with the two finalists. So the final round could be a 3-choice deal.

But I'm not so sure why we should bend over backwards to protect the mods from being kicked out to be honest with you. There is a bottom 10% - let's upgrade.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this is a pretty retarded idea, but if it's going to be done, it should at the very least have this qualifier built in. If a particular mod is voted off in this manner, I think that at the very least his or her own forum should have the final say as to whether or not he or she goes. (Do we even have any female mods? I'll just use "he" from now on.) Sure, I'm a mod, and I'm interested in saving my own skin, but I'd be writing this same thing to try and save Greg J, my comrade over in the Micro forum.

The mods were picked to be mods for a reason. Furthermore, IIRC, only two mods have ever had their powers removed. Which two is left as an exercise for the reader. Hell, even Green, the anonymous mod of OOT from not too long ago, is still green, even if he doesn't have a forum.

Really, though, either way of voting isn't going to work very well, especially without the safety check of a final vote in the relevant forum. If we have a "vote to save" method, then BruceZ of the Probability forum gets hosed because he doesn't have much of a following, in spite of doing a good job. If we have a "vote to kick off" method, then here's what I see happening. I put up a thread notifying my forum about the vote for those who don't read OOT, and then, assuming they want to save Greg J and I, who are they supposed to vote off? Sure, some people might read other forums and have a mod they particularly dislike, but if all someone knows is a mod they want to save, what do they do? Do I tell them to vote for [censored] (or some other mod. I actually don't think I'd vote for him in this contest, but he's an easy target for a cheap shot as a part of this thread.) in particular because he's an easy target and doing so will save my skin, deserving or not? Do I tell them to just vote for anyone at random other than Greg or I? Then some undeserving mod gets voted off at random.

Here's an idea I just had for this that might also make it a little more reasonable if it must go forward. Make every vote be accompanied by a sentence or two of reasoning behind the vote. That may at least curb to a degree some random or mob-mentality voting that would likely ensue.

I'm not entirely against culling the herd somewhat if there is a poor moderator, but if it happens, I want it to be for a good reason. A mod shouldn't get demoted just because he lost a popularity contest amongst the other mods. Nor should the ultimate accountablity be with OOT. It should be with the mod's own forum, and with Mat, naturally.

[censored]
10-17-2005, 01:20 PM
the only issue I have is that Mebenhoe assures that it is a fair vote as I did in my Surivivor. Otherwise as in everypoll it will be determined by the same few people who have a ton of accounts. I'm not talking about like 3-4 accounts but in multiples of 20.

jakethebake
10-17-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the only issue I have is that Mebenhoe assures that it is a fair vote as I did in my Surivivor. Otherwise as in everypoll it will be determined by the same few people who have a ton of accounts. I'm not talking about like 3-4 accounts but in multiples of 20.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are actually people that make 20 accounts just to vote in these polls? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Blarg
10-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Remember that help my kid's school win post? People were saying let's go vote literally for hours on end. And for someone we don't even know. If people can do that, they can and will create as many forum alts as they possibly can to bombard a vote.

SackUp
10-17-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with this. The voters should only be ones who had at least 100 post and have been here for 4 months +. Or sometihng along those lines.

I also like the idea that the forum the person moderates in has the final say. That should totally prevent any OOT bias coming into play. So there will be a second chance for the moderator to be saved. I have no problem with making sure each person writes something why the moderator should be booted as well.

I think the whole concept is a bit retarded, but no more than survivor for forum members. Plus, Mat has endorsed it and is using it as a means to make sure we have good mods in place. Mods are given powers to provide for the members, not to serve their own agenda and therefore should fall in line with what the members want. At the end of the day that is what the site owners want as well as they want to keep people happy.

Let's do this!

bravos1
10-17-2005, 02:47 PM
So do it something like this...

Have thread for collecting nominations. Voting criteria required here (ie 4+ months, 250 posts, etc.)?? May not be necessary here.

If any mod gets x amount of nominations (should be a decent sized number.. 30, 50?), then we can have a yeah or nay for that mod. All voters would need qualification here and ALL votes MUST be at least somewhat justified. Just saying "get him outta here" is not a "valid" vote. This makes it a vote just about the nominated mod. If more than one mod meets the nomination criteria, a seperate vote will be done for each mod. In this scenario, it will not really be a "mod showdown" and will not be a popularity contest. All, none, or select mods could be impacted and it will be on an individual basis, based on the merits of each mod. This will prevent the "popular mod" voting syndrome.

We could then just have it weighted or something to determine the outcome. Something like 2/3 of votes must be for the mod "leaving" for it to even be brought to Mat, who obviously would make the finally decision. If the 2/3s is not met, the mod is safe for the time being.

We would have to set up a statute of limitations making the mod "safe" for a set time period before being eligible for nomination again.

It makes sense to me that the finally voting should be done in the mod's own forum(s) to get a true understanding of the user sentiment.

Phoenix1010
10-17-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's what is going to happen.

This contest is over as is Mebenhoe's best Mod contest. There will not be another OOT survivor and I will just go back to banning people at my sole discretion. There will be no further similar contests and no bitching threads about this.

Partygirl and other's who don't like this are free to enjoy the other 2p2 forums. The fact of that matter is that the top poker players who also use OOT like my policies. Some of you may not want to accept that they are more important to the forum than you but that is the truth.

As long as I am moderator of OOT the forum is going to be run under my rules. period.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahaha YESSSSSS!

jesusarenque
10-17-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Accepting votes by PM is fair? Sorry, try again, douche.

partygirluk
10-17-2005, 03:48 PM
The guy has now locked three threads just because they showed how unpopular he is. What a joke.

Phoenix1010
10-17-2005, 03:50 PM
So who's going to start the final confrontation? If that last post isn't enough incentive I don't know what you guys are waiting for.

gildwulf
10-17-2005, 03:53 PM
http://www.bullz-eye.com/Models/200303Mary/Mary-12.jpg

daveymck
10-17-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The guy has now locked three threads just because they showed how unpopular he is. What a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

The joke is how much time and effort people are putting into this crap. Just one day without a thread about mods and bannings would be great.