PDA

View Full Version : OT: Reasonable way to gradually move up in levels?

10-17-2005, 08:42 AM
I'm currently playing the $6 turbos at Stars, and being rather successful. I now have a bankroll that I feel comfortable taking shots at $16s with. However, taking a sudden jump like that makes me a little uneasy.

Is there any reason it's not a good idea to mix buyins? For example, I could start playing 4 6s and 1 16 in a 5-table set, then if I am successful move to 3 6s and 2 16s. This is more gradual and would probably help me adjust better.

I just would like to confirm that this isn't a horrible idea for some reason I haven't considered.

Thanks in advance if you can help me out :-)

tigerite
10-17-2005, 08:43 AM
No, it's not, but you will probably find yourself taking more notice of the $16s than the $6s and your play on the latter may suffer as a result, that's all.

10-17-2005, 08:57 AM
Looks like the 15s aren't exactly wonderful either.

Some donk CALLED my all-in on the flop with ace-high.

10-17-2005, 09:42 AM
You shouldn't be scared of the 15s. Rather than think of it as a 250% buy-in increase, just think of it as a one buy-in level increase -- it's the next available level.

I don't see any non-psychological reason not to mix (you might focus on the 15s, for instance at the expense of your other games). If you're concerned about paying $64 for a set of four instead of $26, maybe two-table the 15s for a little bit until you are more comfortable with the switch.

rockythecat99
10-17-2005, 09:46 AM
How about you play just one single 16sng to begin with and nothing else. Keep doing this till you feel comfortable enough with the buyin because it seems you are afraid to lose money. YOU CANNOT BE A WINNER IF YOU THINK ABOUT THE MONEY. You cannot think about wow i just spent 16 dollars in this buyin let me make sure I make the money. I can guarantee you you will lose more money that you believe.
The 16s even the 27s turbos are filled with fish its unbelieveable.

Jbrochu
10-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Grab the current Stars deposit bonus and work it off at the 16's. Think of it as a free 10 buy-in cushion.

10-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Well I went ahead and played 4 6s and a 16. I promptly went on a massive tear and won the 16, along with a first and 2 seconds in the 6s.

Results oriented I guess, but I didn't feel that I was concentrating overly on the 16. I also didn't feel I played like I was scared of losing the 16 (made some fairly hair-raising bluffs on the bubble). If I drop any appreciable amount I will just switch back to playing only the 6s.

Oh well, I suppose I will keep this up and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

rockythecat99
10-17-2005, 10:20 AM
The 16s are the same thing as the 6s filled with fish. Soon you will move up to the 27s and realize the fish are still there. /images/graemlins/wink.gif Gl to you and hope your winning streak continues.