PDA

View Full Version : Why I don't like AK

10-17-2005, 08:12 AM
Ok, AK sooted looks so nice and I win a lot with it...however, what can i do when situations like this happen? Did i play it correctly...I think i probably should have bet a little stronger on the turn (1/2 pot?) and then fold to raise?
No real reads on villain, he just sat recently but seems a bit tricky.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero ($219.30)
MP2 ($50)
CO ($226.60)
Button ($151.35)
SB ($72.30)
BB ($47.55)
UTG ($190)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $8, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($19) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $16</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $32</font>, Hero calls $16.

Turn: ($83) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $80</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $193

Hattifnatt
10-17-2005, 08:14 AM
I like your line.

Skuzzy
10-17-2005, 08:20 AM
The thing about min-raises is IMO - they are too small in general to be a possible bluff so when you see one it usualy represents the bettor trying to build a pot with a strong made hand.

His likely holdings are KK AA 77 maybe 33. AK is an outside chance for a tie. I fold to the flop raise. I also check/fold the turn if I had decided to call on the flop.

Dont go bust with TPTK!

Hattifnatt
10-17-2005, 08:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The thing about min-raises is IMO - they are too small in general to be a possible bluff so when you see one it usualy represents the bettor trying to build a pot with a strong made hand.

His likely holdings are KK AA 77 maybe 33. AK is an outside chance for a tie. I fold to the flop raise. I also check/fold the turn if I had decided to call on the flop.

Dont go bust with TPTK!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the flop-call is ok because of the BD Flushdraw, otherwise a fold might be in order. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Skuzzy
10-17-2005, 08:24 AM
Why? What do you think villain is min-raising with that hero beats?

I just wondered what your reasoning for this line would be?

Skuzzy
10-17-2005, 08:26 AM
Wow you were quick to respond - so ignore my other post!

Is a BD flush draw really worth the call? I never give any consideration to weak draws in this spot. That may be my mistake.

Robfish
10-17-2005, 08:27 AM
Its possible he could have hit the King too. Maybe he has KQ or AK but if he has KQ he has now hit 2 pair and AK you only tie but i very much doubt you are ahead given the way the betting has gone so folding is the right play

I dont think i would have bet the turn though

Hattifnatt
10-17-2005, 08:28 AM
I think Hero lost the minimum (except folding to the flopraise) the times he is beat. If villian for example has the /images/graemlins/heart.gif-draw he most likely will just call the $30 on the turn.

Hattifnatt
10-17-2005, 08:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow you were quick to respond - so ignore my other post!

Is a BD flush draw really worth the call? I never give any consideration to weak draws in this spot. That may be my mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]
Already answer the other post /images/graemlins/frown.gif , hopes it's OK.

I don't know actually but that's the feeling I got for this hand because of stacksizes etc.

10-17-2005, 08:31 AM
BDFD...mmmmmmmmmm
that's mainly the reason I called the flop, however, (opponent-dependant), you guys don't usually call this flop raise? I think that at least 25% of the time opponent has a AK/worse K, lower pp and is getting tricky, flush draw, air...usually leading the turn after calling a flop raise will shut down most of these hands that AK is beating (not KQ in this situation which i think is very possible for villain) but i think folding this flop is extremely weak/tight

Skuzzy
10-17-2005, 08:44 AM
If the preflop action had been reversed so he raised and you called his raise with AK then calling here has better prospects I think. The fact that he called your preflop raise is why I give him credit for the AK as a minimum on this flop. When a preflop raiser pot bets a Kxx flop it screams AK so vilain has to give you credit for that hand. If he wanted to shut you down then a PSR would do it better, a min- raise is just begging you to pay him off. I think villain is likely getting tricky too, I just think he's trickily getting you to put more money in on a losing hand.

If I have a read that villain likes to min raise his top pair hands that would be different too, but without a read I fold like an origami master.

I'm not swearing my play is right, I usually am weak tight, but I wouldnt lose sleep over folding to this flop raise.

10-17-2005, 08:48 AM
I think you played it fine. TPTK isn't a hand to get all your money in the middle. I also think you've defined your hand to the villain quite strongly, and seeing as he raises you again on the turn he definitly thinks he can beat you.
I would still bet the turn, villain could be min-raising his flush draw, but as he raises again on the turn you can only be behind.

10-17-2005, 08:48 AM
good post, you are right that with this min raise he is most likely ahead and just trying to extract as much value out of me as possible. It is hard to let TPTK go though (especially with that club on the flop /images/graemlins/cool.gif )...just gotta learn to let it go earlier sometimes i guess. Thanks

fuzzbox
10-17-2005, 10:30 AM
I hate your turn bet. If villain is on the flush draw then you give him pretty good odds to chase.
If villain is aggro, then he can raise and blow you off your hand with a worse hand than you.
If villain is ahead, you just gave him more money, and if he smooth calls you here ... what do you do on the river, when it blanks, when a /images/graemlins/heart.gif hits?

If you plan to bet the turn, the make a proper bet, so that you will be much more sure what is going down than you are.

I prefer to fold to the minraise, than call and lead for 30 into an 83 pot.

unlucky513
10-17-2005, 10:35 AM
why'd you lead the turn (after being minraised on the flop) for less than a 1/2 pot bet? that screams weakness.

i'd check/call a reasonable turn bet.

rikz
10-17-2005, 10:39 AM
I think calling the min-raise and leading the turn for 1/2 pot (I'd recommend $40-$45 instead of $30) is the cheapest line, in general, to find out if you are ahead or not. There are many players that will min-raise with anything to try and push you off QQ or JJ or AQ, especially if your continuation bet is routine after a preflop raise. A lot of flush draw semi-bluffers will try the min-raise too. I would prefer the full pot-raise if I was semi-bluffing to increase fold equity, and buy a free card if I miss the turn.

I like your line a lot. If villain is still semi-bluff raising after you raised preflop, led the flop and led the turn, then he is probably willing to go all-in with it on the river whether he hits his flush or not. That means you would need to have a strong read that he would do this often enough to make going to the felt with TPTK +EV. That kind of villain is very rare, however, and I think your line is generally best to determine if you're ahead or behind typical villains at this level. Good fold.