PDA

View Full Version : Astroglide was right - plasma sucks

whiskeytown
10-17-2005, 07:52 AM
Yep - just got done realizing after a couple hrs of Xbox I have Screen Burn. (well, image retention, but I don't like it) -

So now I have two tasks - one is to get the old TV out and the 2nd is to get the new TV in - to do that I need an apt. with a working elevator - I'm screwed in that regard - but I should have 14 or 30 days (I think 30) -

This sucks - I'll probably have to pay a 15% restocking fee - that'll be about $300 bucks extra - ah well -

RB

Blarg
10-17-2005, 08:23 AM
Sorry to hear it. Sucks to get quickly unexcited about something that was a really cool buy.

gorie
10-17-2005, 08:25 AM
did you try watching tv a few hours to see if it was only temporary ? sometimes it will go away. i got scared a couple times thinking we had burn in on ours too (like the direcTV channel guide) but my bf said it would go away and it did. although using xbox is different and more likely to really cause it, but maybe..

diebitter
10-17-2005, 08:32 AM
This technology sucks. Projector might be best?

Jeebus
10-17-2005, 08:44 AM
get an good LCD (my panasonic is great), yhou can get about 1 1/2 times the screen size and the picture is great. plus its pixilated so you don't really gotta worry about screen burn. plus if 5 pixels go out within 5 years i get a brand new tv. This is about 98% likely to happen. Thus it replaces itself in 5 years.

Im glad the salesman told me this when i asked him about plasma tvs

astroglide
10-17-2005, 12:11 PM
but i didn't say plasma sucks...i said you shouldn't get a widescreen television with a non-widescreen native resolution (1024x768 in your case) because pixel stretching is weak, and that i still wouldn't buy a set smaller than 50" for your viewing distance. as far as 'burn-in' goes, this is no doubt a ghosted image during power/channel changes, not a real-deal permanent impression. it could look a little scary but it's not going to hurt anything yet. i can totally understand being scared by the suggestion of burn-in seeing something like that can give you, though.

i don't see myself buying a plasma anytime soon because i dislike power draw/heat/burn-in/limited lifespans pretty intensely even if the causes/effects are highly reduced. i just don't enjoy sleeping on it. right now i'm considering whether i want to sell my 60" 720p rplcd to get a 60" 1080p sxrd/lcos set when it comes out.