PDA

View Full Version : Flopped Trips And I Only Bet Once?

10-17-2005, 07:00 AM
relevent stack $145

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, SB calls $6, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($16) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($16) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, SB calls $10.

River: ($36) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $36

okay, so this guy was a 42/6/6, and had a went-to-shodown-when-seen-flop (what's the acronym for that again?) 19%

Had ~400 hands on him

So basically, I think he's too much of a TAG postflop to be check-calling the flop here

Eh?

soah
10-17-2005, 07:23 AM
Playing your hand like this will likely have a significant impact on how he plays against you in the future. Sometimes it's worth it to bet hands even when you don't expect a call simply to protect your ability to pick up similar pots without the goods. (Although that's not an excuse to make -EV bets... but it helps sway me on the close decisions.)

This guy is pretty loose preflop. He could certainly have a variety of suited aces, or maybe even trashy offsuit aces. He will almost certainly call the river with them. He might even call with less -- some people read far too much into flop checks. Considering his aggression factor, I would expect for him to have made noise already if he had you beat. So I definitely can find value in betting the river, though you must weigh that against how much it would suck to get checkraised.

10-17-2005, 08:01 AM
That's a good point about the metagame, because I would be betting that flop every time if I missed

10-17-2005, 08:05 AM
I don't like the check on the flop. People who raise paired flops tend to NOT have the trips, and also tend to get more action.

10-17-2005, 08:23 AM
yeah, usually I agree, and bet the flop, but this guy looked like a super tag postflop.

After every street it looks less and less likely he has an ace, hence my line

xorbie
10-17-2005, 01:23 PM
I think you give up a ton of value here. Bet the flop. He'll call with a J most likely. The problem with playing it like you did is that while you do get paid off if villain has a lesser suited ace (although with his low showdown seen, I don't think you'll stack him, could be wrong though). OTOH, if villain does hit his free gutshot or something, you might end up playing a big pot with the ass end of things.

I can understand the flop check if you think this guy will play back at you, but tbh this is just not a board conducive to that. Likewise if you think a flop check will induce him to call two big bets later, but again this is a board on which that sort of play will just look like a slowplay.

If you don't want to just come out firing, bet $10 on the flop and check the turn, then bet the river. This looks like a bluff and will almost never get a fold if villain liked his hand on the flop.

orange
10-17-2005, 02:33 PM
I think I like the bet/check/bet line best. You gave up some value IMO.

BobboFitos
10-17-2005, 03:58 PM
I think you butchered this hand. (sry)

Bet the flop

Bet the turn

Bet the river

Is poker that hard?

Given you checked the flop, bet the turn, why'd you check the river? Afraid of XX /images/graemlins/diamond.gif ? He's not checking AJ or A5 or AQ here. Not that I think he is anywhere that strong.

xorbie
10-17-2005, 04:34 PM
BTW good to see you are reading the digest, if nobody else is.

BobboFitos
10-17-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW good to see you are reading the digest, if nobody else is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thanks xorb for making it this week, i think they're freaking fabulous. I dont read all SSNL posts (like I used to) so it gives me a chance to see some very good threads.

10-17-2005, 06:42 PM
btw I was planning on betting the river if it wasn't a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, since his line was consistent with /images/graemlins/diamond.gif's and maybe a J I thought

ok next time I'll just bet the damned flop. Even though I thought he probably didn't have the ace (because I thought he would lead out with it from his stats, and there's only one left) I should still bet, because winning a big pot every once in a while is better than inducing a small one-barrel bluff or lose call 10% more than usual. The results don't show this, but it looks like my line is no good.

He had AJ, and hero did a touchdown dance for losing so little

BobboFitos
10-17-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

He had AJ

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

10-17-2005, 09:56 PM
Wow I was about to blast you for what I thought was a weak line. And I'd have been way wrong! I don't know how you didn't bet the river at least something for value (me assuming he wouldn't check a flush hoping to get a reraise). You saved your money here, but I think if you change the way you play something like this you will make more money in the long run. You just can't predict to hit trips top kicker on flop and have villian be ahead. Don't let the results of this get you into playing weaker when you have a strong hand.