PDA

View Full Version : FILM REVIEW: Buffy the Vampire Slayer (film not TV)

diebitter
10-17-2005, 05:16 AM
Ok, I have never seen the TV series, so this is written as a standalone without consideration to that - but I'd be interested to hear any opinions/comparisons between the film and TV show.

Buffy comes across as a very, very 80's film (and I was surprised it was made in 1992, after watching it), but a pretty fun one. The girls talk like they're from 'clueless', and the high school thing reminds of both 'Heathers' and 'Ginger Snaps' (Heathers is a compulsory 'to watch' if you haven't seen it, BTW). Are American high schools really like this? (I'm English, so I've not got a clue)

It's a fun film, and buffy does come across as a typical blonde young actress, interchangeable with dozens of others at the start of the film - but again, that doesn't really detract from the fun. However, she definitely moves up a league when we get to a dance at the end, and she's doing her kick-fu, badass vampire-killing stuff wearing a pretty nice white party dress, sometimes wearing a cool leather jacket over it. She looks positively beautiful at this point, and reminds me of a young Grace Kelly - she looks THAT good. I think the girls of OOT will probably think her male romantic lead is cute too, and might dig Ruger Hauer as the smooth Vampire King, but personally, they're not my type.

Apparently also, Pee-wee Herman is the king vampire's side kick, but I watched some scenes again, and I can't believe that's him!

It's a near-camp, teenage comedy-horror (but neither very horrific or very funny), and worth the 90 minutes to spare if you're at a loose end and the idea of ass-kicking, cute vampire-killers is appealling.

I'd give it a 2/5 usually (meaning okay for a single watch, if you've got time), but it earns a 1/2 for buffy getting so darn hot near the end.

OVERALL: 2 1/2 out of 5

You opinions of this film please? And also any opinions of this film vs the TV show?

AngryCola
10-17-2005, 05:20 AM
The TV show is much greater than the movie. I doubt you'll find a single person who seriously disagrees.

That movie is just plain awful.

Exitonly
10-17-2005, 05:34 AM
The spin off of Buffy, Angel, is on a few nights (well, early early morning EST) a week on TBS, which i've caught a few times during some late sessions, and that's a pretty damn good show.

(which has no point w/ the movie review, or the tv show, but i thought i'd share)

Blarg
10-17-2005, 05:40 AM
These are the kinds of shows I've given a rare watch simply for how the actors look. Usually they're not worth any more than that, but I understand Buffy could be surprisingly good.

diebitter
10-17-2005, 06:00 AM
PS. To OOTiots everwhere - I'm intending to do regular reviews - and my list consists of whatever I happen to watch on the train to work, or films that arise on OOT in other threads (if I can get to see them). You can PM me suggestions or requests, but I probably won't reply - but I will put ANY reasonable suggestions on my list

(Reasonable probably means anything but p0rn, and stuff that is too obscure/unknown to be of interest to any but a small group of readers - otherwise I'm pretty wide-ranging in my movie tastes).

Dave G.
10-17-2005, 06:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The TV show is much greater than the movie. I doubt you'll find a single person who seriously disagrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen the movie, but I've heard this said pretty much everywhere. I've seen every episode of Buffy the series and I think it's pretty cool stuff.

The movie and the series, as far as I know, dont' have much of a relation to each other. ie you can pretty much forget the movie exists when first starting to watch the series (the movie is supposed to occur before the series).

So you might want to check the series out. 5th season is my favourite.

bosoxfan
10-17-2005, 08:59 AM
I'm horrified that you talk about how cute a girl is but don't include a picture. Here's Kristy Swanson, more recent than the Buffy film.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0PgBiFl0VR456!oB!XKOJagmggFx8Vvdf!BbD!IKNcrqiznnPF Fr6UEIv5Al31CO3JZrDnu2snDMn2KdACUr3fPl93SUMApkd/Kristy-Swanson-02.jpg

diebitter
10-17-2005, 09:01 AM
Oh, good point. I will of course do so in future, if the film has a hottie.

jakethebake
10-17-2005, 09:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree entirely. Two words for you, sir: Kristy [censored]-ing Swanson.

edit: and thanks for the reminder diebitter. it may be time to alter my List of 5.

AngryCola
10-17-2005, 09:07 AM
I rarely do this, but...

[ QUOTE ]
Here's Kristy Swanson, more airbrushed than ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

I've always thought she is a bit overrated. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

swede123
10-17-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I rarely do this, but...

[ QUOTE ]
Here's Kristy Swanson, more airbrushed than ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

I've always thought she is a bit overrated. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cola,

She may be overrated and airbrushed, but she's pretty damn smoking in her Playboy spread (http://babe-thegoose.blogspot.com/2005/04/kristy-swanson.html) from a few years ago. NSFW by the way.

Swede

AngryCola
10-17-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Cola,

She may be overrated and airbrushed, but she's pretty damn smoking in her Playboy spread (http://babe-thegoose.blogspot.com/2005/04/kristy-swanson.html) from a few years ago. NSFW by the way.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've seen those before.

I'm not saying that she isn't very attractive, but she has never given me that, "Wow!" that so many others seem to get when looking at her.

Blarg
10-17-2005, 11:14 AM
I get plenty of WOW from looks like that.

diebitter
10-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Are all my film reviews gonna turn into discussions/links to nekked pictures of involved hotties?

Cool! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now I'm racking my brains for which one to do next...

and now I know why my 'get carter' rewview got no replies....

swede123
10-17-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are all my film reviews gonna turn into discussions/links to nekked pictures of involved hotties?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll do what I can as long as the movie doesn't feature Bea Arthur.

Swede

diebitter
10-17-2005, 11:25 AM
Well, I did have 'the fox and the hound' on my list, but there'll obviously be no discussion after that, huh...

Blarg
10-17-2005, 11:37 AM
It's a good review, and it definitely moved it much higher toward the top of my must see list, but I think very few people have seen it, so there won't be a lot of people answering back on it. If you had reviewed SIIHP #8, all the OOTiots would have seen it and had something to say.

astroglide
10-17-2005, 11:46 AM
i haven't seen the show or the movie, but the 2001 usa hasbro board game is surprisingly good