PDA

View Full Version : Hip Hop Albums you should get if you haven't already

okayplayer
10-17-2005, 04:04 AM
I just wanted to post some albums that I have picked up recently and have been impressed with, and maybe some quick thoughts. I don't really post or visit OOT much, except on weekends occasionally, but I had been meaning to post about these (sorry if some of these albums have been reviewed or talked about recently).

DangerDoom: The Mouse and the Mask - MF Doom and Danger Mouse (from The Grey Album fame) come together for a their own Madvillainy. Doom is his usual off the wall, what-the-hell-did-he-just-say self, with his sick flow and Danger Mouse provides some very interesting beats. I am getting a little tiresome of the Adult Swim interludes/skits (I'm not a big AS fan).

Atmosphere - You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having - this is already talked about in another thread, but it's a great album.

Cage: Hell's Winter - I'll be the first to admit, I'm not really a big Cage or Weathermen fan, but the album is good. And he's clean now, so it's not your typical drug talking sht. Lyrically, Cage is VERY good; possibly the most slept-on white boy other than Brother Ali. He enlists some very good producers: El-P, RJD2, DJ Shadow and Blockhead (I'm not a huge fan, but he comes nice here).

Blackalicious: The Craft - This is a great album, one of my favorites this year. Gift of Gab's flow is just sick, and he brings it with this album. Chief Xcel really stepped up his game on this one. Only misstep is Egosonic Wardrums, which isn't really bad (it's actually kind of catchy), but it's not up to par with the rest of the album.

Little Brother: The Minstrel Show - LB's sophomore album is another great one (if you haven't heard the Listening, PICK IT UP!!!). I have been a fan ever since The Listening, and have followed Big Pooh and Phonte through each of their respective projects (Sleepers and Foreign Exchange, respectively), and 9th Wonder's beats have been EVERYWHERE this last year, and to be honest, I was actually starting to get a little tired of the 9th Wonder/Justus League sound, but The Mistrel Show is still a very good album. Hiding Place with Elzhi (he is possibly the top lyricist around) is fantastic.

I'm sure everyone has Common and Kanye, so I won't list them, but I do want to add one more, which came out a while ago and most people haven't heard about it:

Charizma (/Peanut Butter Wolf) : Big Shots - PBW is (well, now was) one of the most slept on producers (he's now concentrating on running his label (Stones Throw)), and he combines here with a great San Jose lyricist who unfortunately found the same fate as Big L. Actually, Charizma and Big L are somewhat similar in their rhyming (both very dope) style. This album was made a long time ago, and it finally found light on shelves a (couple?) year ago. This album gives me that feel-good early 90s hip hop vibe.

ThaSaltCracka
10-17-2005, 10:48 AM
Haha, nice thread. I have only listened to Cage's CD once, need to check it out again. The new Blackalicious is dope.

Some other new ones I like.

Three 6 Mafia- Most Known Unknowns.
Mack 10- Hustla's Handbook
Tragedy Khadafi- Thug Matrix

I am liking all three, wirh Tragedy's being the best of the three, followed by 3-6.

jnalpak
10-17-2005, 11:03 AM
good post:

I would have to throw -

Handsome Boy Modeling school - White Boy

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000654OVK.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Probably Prince Paul and D the automators best album together or apart in a long time...

PS. didnt think minstrel show was as great as it was hyped by the critics...

B Dids
10-17-2005, 11:04 AM
The Craft and Minstrel Show both blow. Avoid at all costs (and I am/was a huge Blackalicious fan).

ClassicBob
10-17-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
good post:

I would have to throw -

Handsome Boy Modeling school - White Boy

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000654OVK.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Probably Prince Paul and D the automators best album together or apart in a long time...

PS. didnt think minstrel show was as great as it was hyped by the critics...

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you define "a long time?' Because Handsome Boy's previous album "So, How's Your Girl?" is far superior to "White People."

Notorious G.O.B.
10-17-2005, 01:39 PM
Since you mentioned Peanut Butter Wolf, have you ever heard Captain Funkaho? I liked a song of his a long time ago go, but haven't been able to find anything by him since. I'm not a rap expert by any means, incidentally.

okayplayer
10-17-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since you mentioned Peanut Butter Wolf, have you ever heard Captain Funkaho? I liked a song of his a long time ago go, but haven't been able to find anything by him since. I'm not a rap expert by any means, incidentally.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I haven't heard it, but Stones Throw puts out quality music.

<responding to other posts in thread now...>

I do agree that Minstrel Show was a little over-hyped, but it is a good album. The production is good (yes, a little familiar, but still good) and the lyrics are on point. And, they are actually "saying something" instead of just talking about rims, and diamonds and sht. But I do know that some people just don't dig LB, so I can accept that.

Seriously, you thought the Craft blows? I thought this was a very creative album, and a very good one.

Handsome Boy Modeling School was a very solid album as well.

Another great album that was slept on was Edan's "Beauty and the Beat". It is a very creative sound, with Edans quality flow. It's kind of like 60s psychedelic rock meets hip hop.

Another solid album was K-OS, "Joyful Rebellion". A bit eclectic at times, but I like it.

B Dids
10-17-2005, 03:05 PM
I can pretty much tell from your username that you and I have dissimilar views on hip-hop.

The Craft is a pale comparison to Blackalicious's better work and it makes me sad.

The Craft :: Melodica : Any Roots albums post TFA :: Organix

xadrez
10-17-2005, 03:13 PM
Well, its not exactly an album but Dj Andrew Unkown and Dj Mekalek's mix CD "Aint No Love: The Lost Freestyle Sessions Part 2" is amazing.

Random review I found on google (http://www.altrap.net/reviews/history/aunknown/aintnolove.html)

Georgia Avenue
10-17-2005, 03:30 PM
Thanks a lot for the reviews! I've been really into that newest K-os album also...but I haven't bought any new junx in a while.

Ever heard of this NY kid: Rise? Had a song or two with Wordsworth at some point...Incredible. Just got his best of off of the Intrenett (here (http://sandbox.pair.com/abstract/risearise.html) )

theghost
10-17-2005, 04:09 PM
GangStarr Hard to Earn is a staple.

I think Schooly D's Funk and Pussy is probably the most slept-on rap cd of the 21st century.

okayplayer
10-17-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can pretty much tell from your username that you and I have dissimilar views on hip-hop.

The Craft is a pale comparison to Blackalicious's better work and it makes me sad.

The Craft :: Melodica : Any Roots albums post TFA :: Organix

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, I agree that this may be their worst album, BUT that doesn't make it a bad album. But, I guess we can agree to disagree. Oh, and I'm not quite sure what the colons mean, but you are saying that the Roots' last couple albums are not up to par with Organix? I also totally agree, but I still think that Phren and TTP were still solid albums as well. Coincedentally, they've received more awards and nominations for these last 2, and I don't think they sold out in any way, but they did try and target a wider audience, as this is their livelihood, and they are trying to make money as well as art (whereas nowadays most rappes are just trying to make money). I am hoping Game Theory will get back to that Illadelph and TFA level; we'll see now that they are leading the DefJam Left under Jay-Z.

JaBlue
10-17-2005, 06:51 PM
If you really like an album it would be helpful for you to also list two or three tracks from it so I can check it out before buying

MCS
10-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Geez, this thread is a backpacker's wet dream. I was gonna come in here posting about old Nas and old Jay and Slick Rick.

I keep liking Blackalicious less and less.

I like Little Brother. My DJ friend used to work with them a lot; he was loaning them equipment or something before The Listening came out. Being from central NC it's cool that I get some references that others might not.

As far as white rappers, I also like Esoteric.

P.S. Does anyone else have an opinion on Minstrel Show? I'd like to get it if it doesn't suck, but it sounds like it might.