PDA

View Full Version : Chips - how many of each colour?

Carl
06-01-2003, 02:59 PM
I'm planning to buy 500 chips. How many colours do I need. I play mostly limit hold'em so I was thinking of buying three colours
1:st colour 50 pcs value = small blind
2:nd colour 300 pcs value = big blind
3:rd colour 150 pcs value = 2 big bets

should I buy more colours?

sucka
06-01-2003, 11:20 PM
Your #'s are pretty much the standard I think.

With that distribution you would have plenty of chips for a full $1/2 game.

If you play micro limits - say, .25/.50 or .50/1.00 you might find that your 10 players are buying in for weird amounts like $14 or so because of your chip shortage.

I think the perfect # of chips to buy for a home game is probably ~700 or so. This way, you can accomodate any game with plenty of extra chips as well as accomodate those who like to buy in higher than your pre-determined buy-in based on the # of chips you have.

samz
06-02-2003, 09:08 AM
How many people do you usually have in your game?

500 works fine - we have an 8 or nine person game and always have chips left over.

I recommend four colors - you only need 50 chips for the fourth color - we use a black chip - purple is also nice - you can make this worth several times a BB - it saves time when doing the buy ins.

Sam

Joe Tall
06-03-2003, 08:50 AM
I recommend 4 colors as well. Much better if you want to try a tournament, you won't really need 500 for a ring game. 200 Red, 150 Green, 100 Blue, and 50 Black is what I have. I got blue because my friend's white chips are looking grubby after a year.

I have 2 other friends w/chips. We all have the 11.5 gram weighted chips. I have diamonds, 1 has suits, 1 has dice. So when we had a tournament of 26, we had plenty of chips that were the same guage and it didn't take too long to spilt them up at the end.

Try eBay and snipe them with www.auctionsniper.com (http://www.auctionsniper.com) I got mine for $114 Oak case including delivery, the auctions that end in the wee-hours in the morning are the cheapest through 5star-deal.

Good luck.

gte910h
06-03-2003, 12:33 PM
If you're ever going to play micro limits
I'd suggest a slightly different qty:

1:color, 100 Peices
2:Color, 250 Peices
3:Color, 150 Peices

That allows you to have 20 buy ins featuring 5 small blinds.

While a bigger chip denomination DOES make tournaments and buy-in's work better, I've found the addition of a color equal to twice the big bet added a degree of agressiveness that was never there before in my home game (raises got a lot more attention when you floped your black chip out their all of a sudden).