PDA

View Full Version : complete games in the playoffs

jdl22
10-17-2005, 12:52 AM
While I know more about baseball than the average casual observer I know less than some of the bigger baseball fans here. I'm curious about these White Sox complete games. In today's game, why didn't the Sox bring in their closer? If it's a two run game obviously you are likely to win either way, but I would think the closer would have a better chance to get the save than the starter who's pitched for 8 full innings. Is it just so that the pitcher gets the benefit of the complete game? I'm thinking that can't be enough to make that decision in the playoffs. I don't think it would be to rest the closer since he was well rested and given a win would get even more time to rest. If he blows a save he's probably only pitching one inning anyway, plus he would get the rest day tomorrow(?).

So, why leave the starter in?

Clarkmeister
10-17-2005, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because 4 CG's in a row is cool. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also, IMO conventional wisdom is a little off with regards to always yanking the starter just because it's the 9th.

whalekock
10-17-2005, 01:18 AM
Either really confident of your starter or lack of confidence in your bullpen. Ozzie better hope never to go to extra innings in the World Series because his bullpen would of not pitched for two weeks.

Clarkmeister
10-17-2005, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Either really confident of your starter or lack of confidence in your bullpen. Ozzie better hope never to go to extra innings in the World Series because his bullpen would of not pitched for two weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, first it's not an "either, or" situation. Second, how would a whopping 3 outs worth of work tonight have done anything to materially address the two week issue?

istewart
10-17-2005, 01:26 AM
A more important question is why does Ozzie Guillen love to kiss men?

stanky
10-17-2005, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he was still pitching well. Yes I think its that simple.

craig r
10-17-2005, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A more important question is why does Ozzie Guillen love to kiss men?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know!!!! It is like those guys in the Mafia. Man, those guys are pussies!!!

craig