PDA

View Full Version : Ten Year Data

Sarge85
10-16-2005, 11:50 PM
http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/research/printrep.asp

Does anyone use the reports generated by Money Central on MSN. Is it me, or do the reports come back with inaccurate data - in particular the EPS and Share Outstanding.

I was looking at ADBE, but the info at MSN and the info that Adobe provides at their website is vastly different.

Where I can get easy 10 year data on companies, that is reliable?

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

buffett
10-17-2005, 09:44 AM
MSN's data is good, it's just different. The shares outstanding number you see in the 10 year summary section is "inflation adjusted." That is, those are the number of shares in the "currency" of "today's shares." For example, at the end of Adobe's FY2002 the company had 243M shares out. Since then, the company has done a 2:1 split, issued employee stock options, and bought back stock into its treasury (to offset the options, but that's a story for another day). In "today's shares" those 243M are listed by MSN as 464M. MSN does this adjustment to make historical EPS comparisons easier and faster.
-web

Sarge85
10-17-2005, 10:07 AM
For the purposes of computing compounding interest I can feel comfortable using those numbers?

What about computing Shareholder Equity per Share?

buffett
10-17-2005, 11:22 AM
In an attempt to use as many acronyms as possible....I think if you tried to compute the CAGR of ADBE's EPS growth using MSN's numbers, you would be A-OK.
As for Shareholder Equity per Share, or BVPS acronymically, when I typed ADBE into the box at the top of the page you linked to in your OP, I then scrolled down and clicked on three boxes: Income Statement-Annual, Balance Sheet-Annual, and Ten Year Summary. On the page that pops up when I click Submit, I scroll down to the Total Equity line (535M, 454M, 377M, etc.) and I just divide that by Total Common Shares Outstanding a few lines down from there to get BVPS (in the currency of today's shares, again).
Does that help, or am I just wasting your time with stuff you already know?
-web

Sarge85
10-17-2005, 03:42 PM
No,

I'm on board with your thought process. It just threw me off when I saw different numbers from Adobe's site.

I guess as long as I'm comparing apples to apples I'm good to go.

Thanks,