PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you see a stray dog?

mantasm
10-16-2005, 10:20 PM
I saw one in my neighborhood just now. I would call animal control if it were during the day, but I figured there wouldn't be any point right now. It didn't have tags on but it was healthy looking. It looked like it knew where it was going so I just let him go, but I felt bad.

TheCroShow
10-16-2005, 10:22 PM
kick it in the ribs

mason55
10-16-2005, 10:23 PM
SIIHP?

Seriously though, if it doesn't have tag=s, let it go. Otherwise it will get picked up and euthenized pretty quickly. If it has tags than try to catch it and call the owner.

jakethebake
10-16-2005, 10:24 PM
Depends on whether I know who the owner is and how big a nuisance the dog is making of itself.

HopeydaFish
10-16-2005, 10:43 PM
I ignore it. I'm not going to approach it, as it's not worth getting bitten over. I'm also not going to call animal control, unless it's acting aggressive towards people or looks injured. Chances are its owners are out looking for it, so I leave it be.

TheBlueMonster
10-16-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I ignore it. I'm not going to approach it, as it's not worth getting bitten over. I'm also not going to call animal control, unless it's acting aggressive towards people or looks injured. Chances are its owners are out looking for it, so I leave it be.

[/ QUOTE ]

bluefeet
10-16-2005, 11:06 PM
Adopt him!! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

This guy was living in the bag room at the golf club I belong to ("lost" for a week):

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/bluefeet/IMG_0627.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/bluefeet/IMG_0613.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/bluefeet/IMG_0629.jpg

...the kids named him "coby"

mantasm
10-16-2005, 11:23 PM
That's a really great looking dog. And looks very happy too.

I'd like another dog for mine to play with, but I have to get my girlfriend a cat first, and this one probably belonged to someone. I want to do whatever would make it most likely the owners of the dog would find him, I guess just letting him go is the right thing to do.

tonypaladino
10-17-2005, 12:05 AM
The correct answer is to sell him to a Korean restuerant.

Blarg
10-17-2005, 01:19 AM
Lots of people don't put tags on their dogs. Others don't always keep the tags on. I wouldn't call animal control unless it was making trouble, because it's pretty common for people's animals to get out of their yard and go wandering, and sometimes they get euthanized before their owner can find them even realizes they've been picked up. I would want to get someone's dog killed unnecessarily.

If they're miserable looking strays, what I usually do is feel bad. Sometimes I'll give them some food if I'm carrying some. If they don't look mean or deranged, sometimes I'll pet them, and sometimes for a good long while. They seem so lonely and grateful for any love that it's hard not to. But man, going on my way and having them realize I'm not their savior, but have to go, can be really kind of heartbreaking. I'm a huge softie for animals, and feel really bad for their plights when they're hard up.

wacki
10-17-2005, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

or

http://www.strasbourgcurieux.com/fourrure/spanish.php

I know, I know..... not funny.

Klepton
10-17-2005, 01:23 AM
"hey look a stray dog."

ThaSaltCracka
10-17-2005, 01:33 AM
usually try and catch the dog, unless he is aggresive looking. But dogs like me, uncanny really, perhaps the dog feels my struggle with constantly chasing the cat. Regardless, try and catch them and locate the owner, unless its raining or I am in a hurry.

mantasm
10-17-2005, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Lots of people don't put tags on their dogs. Others don't always keep the tags on. I wouldn't call animal control unless it was making trouble, because it's pretty common for people's animals to get out of their yard and go wandering, and sometimes they get euthanized before their owner can find them even realizes they've been picked up. I would want to get someone's dog killed unnecessarily.

If they're miserable looking strays, what I usually do is feel bad. Sometimes I'll give them some food if I'm carrying some. If they don't look mean or deranged, sometimes I'll pet them, and sometimes for a good long while. They seem so lonely and grateful for any love that it's hard not to. But man, going on my way and having them realize I'm not their savior, but have to go, can be really kind of heartbreaking. I'm a huge softie for animals, and feel really bad for their plights when they're hard up.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how i feel. i've called animal control once before because i figure if someone's looking for the dog they'll call the pound.

tonypaladino
10-17-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

or

http://www.strasbourgcurieux.com/fourrure/spanish.php

I know, I know..... not funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

makes me glad i voted for you!!!