PDA

View Full Version : nut straight on the flop, how to play against aggresion with no redraw

Biggenx
10-16-2005, 08:16 PM
i've faced this same situation a number of times in the short time i've played omaha. when you have no draw, but a nut straight on the flop or turn, what should you do when some one bets the pot at your raise or re raise?

fisherman112
10-16-2005, 10:55 PM
this is completely player dependant. are you in position? how deep is the money?

if you're under 75 bb, you can just get your money in.

people underestimate the bluff equity in these kind of situtations if the turn is a 3 flush or pairs the board, so it's often worth smooth calling. obviously, get your money in on the turn if it's a blank. only fold if you have a huge stack and are against a complete rock. even then it's usually worth just taking a turn off.

Kirkrrr
10-17-2005, 07:10 AM
Just started playing Omaha, so can you exlpain that? Hero has the nut straight, what does he need "bluff equity" for? Get your money in, no? If you have the best possible hand right now, I fail to see what difference it makes who else is in the pot with you.

Kirk

10-17-2005, 09:01 AM
If more than half the deck can hurt you on the turn, your hand is way too volatile for putting like 1/3rd of your stack while it's strong and playing guessing games next street for the rest of your stack. If you can move in while being a favorite on the flop, fine, otherwise you need to consider the *future* value of your hand, and not only what it's worth now. That's one of the big traps of the game.
Just my 2 cents,

FRC

10-17-2005, 09:05 AM
In this game, the nut hand on the flop, often does not hold up to be the nut hand on the river. If the board pairs or the third flush card hits, you can be relatively certain that you no longer hold the nuts in a big multiway pot.

What nbanker was refering to is the following type of situation. Say you flop a nut straight with no redraws and someone in front of you raises the pot. It is very likely that this person has the same temporary nuts as you do. If everyone else fold to you, you have 2 options: 1) pump up the pot or 2) smooth call. By raising, you are signaling that you have the temp nuts, but given that you have no redraws, you are quite susceptible to being free-rolled. If you smooth-call in this situation and the board pairs on the turn, you might be able to take the pot away from the guy that has the exact same hand as you, because you represented a drawing hand, like a set. This is where the bluff comes in.

liquid
10-17-2005, 09:15 AM
This may be what nbanker had in mind. Or I may be a reckless spewer. I'm OOP with only runner-runner improvers; main foe has sizeable stack.

Omaha Hi $0.50-$0.50 PL

Seat 3: BiggishStack (Button, $148.40)
Seat 6: Shorty (B2, $12.35)
Seat 7: Hero (UTG, $170) [As Jc Ac Kd]

PRE-FLOP
B1 posts blind ($0.50), Shorty posts blind ($0.50). Hero calls, 1 fold, 2 calls, BiggishStack calls, 1 check, Shorty checks.

($3) FLOP [Qc Th 9d]
1 fold, Shorty bets $3, Hero calls $3, 2 folds, BiggishStack bets $10, Shorty bets $8.85 and is all-in, Hero calls $8.85, BiggishStack calls $1.85.

($38) TURN [3d]
Hero checks, BiggishStack bets $25, Hero calls $25.

($88) RIVER [5d]
Hero bets $30.

Biggenx
10-17-2005, 12:06 PM
mostly what i meant was that i've often shown down hands where villian had the exact same straight but made me pay big for not having the redraw flush. of course i had no problem with paying while i had the nuts.

I'm thinking i need to examine my starting hand requirement a little better. Put more attension on being double suited.