PDA

View Full Version : AQ in a tough spot

DaveB
10-16-2005, 07:55 PM
Party $100, no one has done anything out of line so far.

I have AQo and limp in the hijack after 3 limpers. Should I raise here? SB calls also, BB folds (?). Flops is AJ2r, checked to me and I bet pot (5.70). Only one EP calls. Turn is offsuit 8. EP checks, I bet $8, he check raises to 25. Now what?

Maulik
10-16-2005, 07:58 PM
i'm not sure what the hijack is, but I make it $5 or $6 to go PF, then go from there.

Bukem_
10-16-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no one has done anything out of line so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy fold check turn.

stu-unger
10-16-2005, 08:04 PM
hi jack= CO

i think u can play it either way pf. i normally raise pf and bet pot on flop, check turn through, call or vb river.

as played i think its a fold, but when u post we need to know stack sizes and reads on villains...

ajmargarine
10-16-2005, 08:06 PM
Fold. Drawless board....Check behind on the turn avoids this dilemna, allows you to maybe pick up a bet on the river that you wouldn't otherwise get, gets you to showdown cheaply with just one pair, etc etc etc

Andrew Fletcher
10-16-2005, 08:09 PM
I usually raise PF w/ AQ when I'm in good position. Since no one has made any noise PF, we can most likely rule out AA-JJ and AK. So you're ahead of stuff like A-x, QJ, KJ, QK, etc. You're a coin flip with pocket pairs that can be bluffed off their hands when high cards come. Try to thin the field and/or make them pay.

I sometimes have trouble making a lay down here (because I'm not that good), but I'm going to assume he hit a set of 2s or 8s. Given that a CR indicates a really strong hand, I think it's correct to let it go.

element00
10-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Raise PF. Fold turn. Whoever said check turn? Why?

Andrew Fletcher
10-16-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Keeping the pot small with TPTK. You check the turn and they make a small bet on the river that you can call. If they check the river than you make a value bet. But I'm not sure I agree. TPTK is a good money maker, at least in my experiance, in SSNL. People call so often with a worse kicker or second pair or whatever.

However, if they starting raising at you and you don't have a read, it's time to let TPTK go in most situations.

Malachii
10-16-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't have too big a problem with the limp preflop, but if you're going to raise I prefer a raise that will likely pick the pot up preflop. Say $6. Checking the turn is correct. The board is pretty drawless and you will keep the pot small. Value bet or call the river, depending. Easy fold to the turn checkraise, if you can't make this fold you might want to consider moving down in limits for a little while.

trevor
10-16-2005, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hi jack= CO

[/ QUOTE ]

Hijack is Cutoff +1, not the cutoff. Two different positions.

DaveB
10-16-2005, 11:44 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Sorry I forgot to include stacks, I had about 130 and villian had about the same. I folded this to the turn CR because I just couldn't see him doing this with a hand I could beat. Thanks for the suggestions to check the turn, I will try that next time. Is that standard for a top pair type hand on a drawless board?

ajmargarine
10-17-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the suggestions to check the turn, I will try that next time. Is that standard for a top pair type hand on a drawless board?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not standard. It's opponent and situation dependent, but it for sure should be a part of your NL arsenal.