PDA

View Full Version : auto mechanically inclined folk enter here

mostsmooth
10-16-2005, 07:27 PM
i spilled some oil on the concrete.
i want to throw some sand or sawdust or whatever works good on it before it soaks in.
what should i use and where can i obtain it?

Boris
10-16-2005, 07:30 PM
kitty litter

juanez
10-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Get some "Speedy Dri" (basically kitty litter) from an auto parts store. Mop up the puddle then grind the Speedy Dri into the stain with the heel of your boot. That's about the best you can do.

mostsmooth
10-16-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
kitty litter

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, i looked at kitty litter, its like $12 for a box, much more expensive than i want to spend

Cancer Merchant
10-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Does that kitty litter come with gold nuggets? It should be a couple bucks for ten pounds.

mostsmooth
10-16-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does that kitty litter come with gold nuggets? It should be a couple bucks for ten pounds.

[/ QUOTE ]
i was shocked as well
i saw 50lb bags of sand (washed and screened for sandboxes) at home depot for like $3, but im too stupid to know if theres some special "sand" that should be used or if that regular sand would work. plus, i wouldnt want to waste $3.

Cancer Merchant
10-16-2005, 07:50 PM
For $3 per 50#, I'd be more worried about throwing out my back than the three bucks.

Hit your closest supermarket for kitty litter.

mostsmooth
10-16-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For $3 per 50#, I'd be more worried about throwing out my back than the three bucks.

Hit your closest supermarket for kitty litter.

[/ QUOTE ]
is it that much better than sand?

TimM
10-16-2005, 07:56 PM
How much oil? Just go to a gas station and ask for a cupful of whatever they use.

mostsmooth
10-16-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How much oil? Just go to a gas station and ask for a cupful of whatever they use.

[/ QUOTE ]
a few gallons
i already pulled out a couple seagulls

10-16-2005, 08:00 PM
Absorbent material (kitty litter, dirt, mulch, etc.) are great if you use them immediately after the spill. Paper towels, rags, or anything similar if you don't have the other stuff are OK for what's on the surface.

By now a lot of the oil has worked its way into the concrete. You'll have to put something on that's going to start dissolving. DO NOT use gasoline, please. I've always got "Ooops" and "Goof-off" (yeah, real product names) on hand since I seem to spill a lot of crap. Try either of them.

And, I use "Goop" (dont'cha luv marketing types) to clean my hands of grease and oil. That might do some good. Let it sit and then maybe spray it with a heavy-duty spray cleaner. Let that soak in and rinse. You may have to repeat a few times. You'll probably never get all completely out. Sorry.

Cancer Merchant
10-16-2005, 08:01 PM
Seagulls? This scares me.

Litter is probably easier to clean up than sand, the only reason I recommend it.

mostsmooth
10-16-2005, 08:05 PM
ok im just going to go with the sand in the future
if i keep some on hand and get it down right away, im not really concerned with the little bit that might seep into the concrete (should i be?)

HtotheNootch
10-16-2005, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Get some "Speedy Dri" (basically kitty litter) from an auto parts store. Mop up the puddle then grind the Speedy Dri into the stain with the heel of your boot. That's about the best you can do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speedy Dry is far better than sand. It's cheap as well. Sand basically just makes mud. Speedy Dri actually absorbs the oil.

mostsmooth
10-17-2005, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Speedy Dry is far better than sand. It's cheap as well. Sand basically just makes mud. Speedy Dri actually absorbs the oil.

[/ QUOTE ]
thanks all, ill stop by the auto store tonight and see what theyre charging.