PDA

View Full Version : Still learning: Second best straight on the flop...

otnemem
10-16-2005, 07:24 PM
I don't remember specifics, but I have the important info:

Flop is 5d-6d-7c

I have 4-8-x-x on the button, no diamonds no redraws. UTG leads with $5 into a $10 pot. MP call. My move?

joewatch
10-16-2005, 09:05 PM
Fold.

boscoboy
10-16-2005, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

fold quickly

10-16-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
fold quickly

[/ QUOTE ]

fold quickly, out of turn if possible

otnemem
10-17-2005, 12:02 AM
Think I'm getting the idea a little better here...

Kirkrrr
10-17-2005, 06:53 AM
I've just recently started getting into Omaha as a way to diversify from my main game(NLHE). Could someone please elaborate why you should be in such a huge rush to fold the second best possible hand on this flop?

Kirk

BluffTHIS!
10-17-2005, 07:13 AM
Because the 2nd nuts in omaha often won't cut it on the river and on the flop, even if you have the nut straight, someone with the same straight can have a redraw and be FREEROLLING on you.

You need to read Ciaffone and Caiffone/Reuben's books.

DRKEVDC
10-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Three things that kill you in Omaha.

1. Underfull
2. K high flush
3. Non nut straight.

10-17-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've just recently started getting into Omaha as a way to diversify from my main game(NLHE). Could someone please elaborate why you should be in such a huge rush to fold the second best possible hand on this flop?

Kirk

[/ QUOTE ]
Because:

1) there are a lot of cards that could come on the turn or river that will leave you drawing dead even if you're currently ahead

2) you need TWO safe cards to come

3) many "safe" turn cards will add A LOT of extra river outs for your opponents

4) even if two safe cards come you will only win the whole pot about 20% of the time on a full table. 40% of the time you will split, and 40% of the time you'll lose to the nut straight. These numbers improve, of course, against fewer players but not that much. For example, on this flop, a 2nd nut against 2 random hands is only about 50/50 to win. In HE you'd be 80/20 against 2 random hands. Now, it's safe to say that at least 2 of your opponents have something much better than a "random hand".

This flop is the Omaha equivalent of holding A /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif and seeing a Q /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif flop with action post flop. Get out.

Kirkrrr
10-17-2005, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the insights, very interesting. I guess I'll be making a trip to the bookstore in the near future.

Kirk

joewatch
10-18-2005, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the insights, very interesting. I guess I'll be making a trip to the bookstore in the near future.

Kirk

[/ QUOTE ]

That better be an online bookstore unless you live in Vegas.

http://www.gamblersbook.com/weblink.cby/items/POK100.html

wickss
10-18-2005, 01:43 AM
Fold preflop maybe... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kirkrrr
10-18-2005, 02:33 AM
You are the man /images/graemlins/smile.gif

otnemem
10-18-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop maybe... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I told you, I know nothing...

As it were, I raised this flop, and folded when it was potted back to me. I stink, but at least I knew to fold after a reraise...

kevstreet
10-18-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1. Underfull
2. K high flush
3. Non nut straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is nice, especially for the inexperienced Omaha player... like me.

DRKEVDC
10-18-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. Underfull
2. K high flush
3. Non nut straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is nice, especially for the inexperienced Omaha player... like me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad I could help. I would tell you how much those lessons cost me but then I would gouge my eyes out with a spoon and we don't want that now....Right?