PDA

View Full Version : How often have you busted out of a tourney on a resteal?

Python49
10-16-2005, 07:14 PM
Was just in a $100 MTT earlier, not many entrants, but nice pay outs. 17 people left and I was about 5th or 6th in chips but I wasn't some huge dominating stack. Blinds were 500/1000 and I had about 12-13k chips I believe. I'm in the big blind with 8/9 suited and it folds to the button who has been raising plenty of pots on steals. Not long before this hand he raised a pot and got called, but flopped two pair with 6/4. So anyway, I didn't respect his raise and put him on a steal. He raised to 2300 and I pushed all in hoping he was stealing and if not hopefully I have live cards.

And if I did run into a huge pair, I have the best hand against it. So ofcourse I push, he has AA this time and i'm out. I've done prety well in MTTs the past month or so and have made very similar plays as this going with my read and have been right, this time I was wrong and feel sh*tty. I coulda just folded but that's being results oriented. He had about 15k chips and I felt he was not calling that much of his stack without a huge hand, so I felt i had alot of fold equity.

I went with my gut and got burned, i'm mainly a cash game player but have had alot of success in MTTs since I started out as a Sng player and play aggressively. But I think my inexperience is the reason i'm feeling regret. If I had been correct I woulda been at the final table probably (people were dropping like flies) and woulda thought I made a great play. Surely other experienced MTT players can relate?

woodguy
10-16-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How often have you busted out of a tourney on a resteal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not often enough.

Regards,
Woodguy

10-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Your play was perfectly fine with the read you had. Bad luck that this was the time he actually had something.

pfkaok
10-16-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not often enough.

Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

amen... but i've busted on a whole heap of re-semi-steals with A8-AJ type hands where i either run into a huge hand or lose coinflip or 60/40 type thing. I think the re-semi-steal is a very powerful weapon of the aggressive player to profit from the willingness of players to call their stacks off with weak hands when they "know" you're bluffing.

Python49
10-16-2005, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not often enough.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure exactly what this is implying, do you mean you should have been busted more times on your resteal but don't get caught much?

DyessMan89
10-16-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not often enough.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure exactly what this is implying, do you mean you should have been busted more times on your resteal but don't get caught much?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think hes saying that he doesnt defend his blind often enough.

I dont have that problem, for me I defend it too much.

10-16-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not often enough.

Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

amen... but i've busted on a whole heap of re-semi-steals with A8-AJ type hands where i either run into a huge hand or lose coinflip or 60/40 type thing. I think the re-semi-steal is a very powerful weapon of the aggressive player to profit from the willingness of players to call their stacks off with weak hands when they "know" you're bluffing.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if they're not stealing? Suited connectors are great here because they're never dominated.

OP: I like the play. Sometimes they don't work.

Python49
10-16-2005, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I don't like to do it with weak aces they seem to just get raped.

I feel less pissed now.

benneh
10-16-2005, 10:19 PM
when im that deep, i'd say 75% or so of my busts are on resteals

Cactus Jack
10-17-2005, 08:34 AM
You did the right thing. Doing the right thing is the right thing. Sometimes the right thing doesn't go right. That's why they call it fishing, not catching.

Feeling bad about it is results oriented.

CJ

sunek
10-17-2005, 08:54 AM
I spend all the time looking at your animation - what was the question again? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

- sunek

10-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Happens to me a lot, but I rarely regret it. Much worse limping in and folding in these situations, then reducing yourself to nothing.

You did absolutely the right thing. A lot of people try the re-steal with hands that are very likely to be dominated. This is just the sort of hand to do it with.

pfkaok
10-18-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You did absolutely the right thing. A lot of people try the re-steal with hands that are very likely to be dominated. This is just the sort of hand to do it with.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is a very misused/misunderstood concept with the resteal. sure, 89s is better than A8o vs. AK or AQ, but its not that much better vs. the reasonable calling range for the villain here if the stacks are decent sized (99+, AKo, AQs).

anyways, the point is, the situation is WAY more important than your hand itself. being 30% vs. his range really isn't much differnt than being 28-29%... and if the player is aggressive enough, and you haven't made any resteals that session, and probably will get respect, then 92o will be profitable even though you'll be only 20% if you get called. the bigger the stacks are the more you have to mostly look at the odds you're getting on the resteal, and the likelyhood that the player is on a steal. your hand itself is usually not all that important, unless its like AK, QQ or JJ where you probably aren't in that bad shape if you get called anyways.

the shorter the stacks get, the more important your hand becomes, b/c you'll be called way more often, so obviously the % that you'll win when called gets significant. but when he puts 1/5 - 1/3 of his stack in from steal position, A8- ATo is a fine hand, b/c you'll usually be close to 45% or better vs. his calling range. and of course on the total steals you'll still take it down.

betgo
10-18-2005, 03:59 PM
Generally this seems like a good move, but you may have been trapped.

Was 2.3xBB this guys normal raise. Sometimes people miniraise with big hands. He may have put in a size raise that he thought you would think you could successfully resteal, since he wasn't pot committed.

pfkaok
10-18-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Was 2.3xBB this guys normal raise. Sometimes people miniraise with big hands. He may have put in a size raise that he thought you would think you could successfully resteal, since he wasn't pot committed.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, this is a really good point too. if he's been raising alot with 3x BB raises then throws in a little one i'd pass on the resteal. usually most people won't ONLY do it with AA, but a lot of times they'll only do it with AA or sometimes as a bluff. so if they do it say 1/3 with AA and 2/3 with bluffs, then resteal is pretty bad. since you win 2/3, but then when you get called you're always up vs. AA, which sucks. and a lot of these people it'd be more like 50% AA(maybe KK) and 50% bluff b/c they don't have a very good idea of proper balance and game theory so they balance it in a way that allows a good player to easily pass on a resteal.

dealcloser
10-18-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I spend all the time looking at your animation - what was the question again? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

- sunek

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL me too!