PDA

View Full Version : TT in middle position, late in tournament...

curtains
06-01-2003, 03:08 AM
$55 pokerstars tourney, 40 players left, pays 18.....I have $3500 in chips. We are playing 7 handed, with blinds of 100/200 and antes of 25. UTG (big stack at the table with 13k, i would say he was in quite a few pots) raises to 600, its folded to you, 2 in front of the button with TT.....what is your play?

MrGo
06-01-2003, 03:37 AM
Make a move. T3500 is a fair position in the tourny. How many players entered? What's the average stack in the tourny? I would re-raise, possibly all-in to double up. You can't flat call to let a singleton paint card beat you. Re-raise a significant amount or all-in, leaning towards all-in.

Now that I think about it, he has you well out-chipped. He will call any re-raise but an all-in raise he will contemplate and perhaps fold.

All-in. But I have done horrible in tourny's lately, so take the above witha grain of salt!

Guy McSucker
06-01-2003, 03:39 AM
In your situation I would be beginning to feel threatened by the blinds and antes and would be looking to make a move. On the other hand it's not super urgent yet.

Two choices: all-in or fold. If UTG has been playing lots of pots, and raising a lot to exploit his large stack, all-in looks good. You will win uncontested a lot of the time and will have a 50-50 shot a decent proportion of the time you are called. Of course if someone behind you calls, you're probably in trouble...

A smaller raise is asking to be set in which you wouldn't like.

You don't have the chips to just call, because you probably won't like the flop.

The conservative play is to fold, and I don't think it's too bad, but you can't afford to do that too many more times with your stack.

Bear in mind also that although 18 get paid, 10-18 get very little.

Guy.

Al_Capone_Junior
06-01-2003, 09:58 AM
If you're going to play, obviously you go all-in. If he's been speeding around because he has a big stack, it's quite likely his hand is worse than yours. On thet other hand, since he's got so many chips, he will probably call you with any number of hands that are only a slight dog to you. This means that even if you're ahead, it's a high variance play when you're called, which will often result in your being knocked out. If you're in bad enough shape where you really need the chips, or you're not likely to make the money, then I'd go all in. Otherwise, folding may be the best option.

al

ohkanada
06-02-2003, 11:04 AM
With less chips (2k or so) I likely go all-in. But with your chip count I likley fold. You still have a decent stack and can wait for a better time to get your chips in the pot.

Ken Poklitar