PDA

View Full Version : i hit some odd keyboard lock function and dont know what it is

DrewOnTilt
10-16-2005, 06:09 PM
i apologize in advance for the poorly typed post

i messed up something on my laptop and cant type periods commas et cetera

i was cleaning the keyboard and hit some odd key combination that apparently locked out some of the keyboard functionalty

toshiba is no help and best buy says i need to bring the laptop into a store

nearest store is some distance away

the scrolling is locked

caps lock works in reverse

mouse functionality works backwards < as in if i right click on something then the pc responds
as if i had left clicked

number keys act as if shift is always pressed !@#$%^*()

function key also works backwards < for example under normal circumstances if i hit "function U"
then then cursor moves one space to the left (same as hitting the left arrow key) but now when
i hit the U key the cursor moves one space to the left

if i want to type a U then i have to hit "function U"

help what the [censored] did i do to this thing

balkii
10-16-2005, 07:47 PM
its this stupid [censored] thing that happens when you hold down shift for too long

hold down shift for a long time and something should pop up. then turn it off.

Nomad84
10-16-2005, 07:48 PM
I don't know if it will help, but it's my only suggestion. Try going to Control Panel>Keyboard and see if you might have somehow changed the keyboard layout (under Languages).

DrewOnTilt
10-16-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its this stupid [censored] thing that happens when you hold down shift for too long

hold down shift for a long time and something should pop up. then turn it off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, that was it. Actually on this PC that option is turned on and off by Function-F11

Nomad84
10-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Ahh....that makes sense. "Sticky-Keys" or whatever it's called...

balkii
10-17-2005, 02:45 AM
out of curiousity....WTF is the 'function' key?

DrewOnTilt
10-17-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

usually this key is labeled "Fn" and on most keyboards it is located in the bottom left corner near the Control key

It is used in combination with other keys (usually the F1-F12 keys) for various shortcuts. I think the specific functions it performs vary according to PC and BIOS.

Nomad84
10-18-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

usually this key is labeled "Fn" and on most keyboards it is located in the bottom left corner near the Control key

It is used in combination with other keys (usually the F1-F12 keys) for various shortcuts. I think the specific functions it performs vary according to PC and BIOS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure this is specific to laptops.