PDA

View Full Version : Party $500k AK hand

Lloyd
10-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Early on in the Party $500K Guaranteed ($200+15). No reads. I have t1485 and the villain has me covered with around t2200. Blinds are 10/15.

I'm UTG and dealt A/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif. I raise to t50. Folded to villain in SB who raises to t125. BB folds. I call. I'm pretty comfortable with a call being better than a raise but as always am open to other possibilities.

Flop
Pot: t260

Flop: 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif

Villain bets t90. What do you do and what's your plan?

CardSharpCook
10-16-2005, 05:02 PM
Geez. Well, he is betting way too small, but I really don't want to give him an excuse to fold KK yet. I'm calling here and then making him pay a little on the turn. My goal is to extract about 400 chips from him on this hand.

10-16-2005, 05:08 PM
call the flop, call the turn and if the river isn't too scary raise his bet.

10-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Interesting.
I raise to about 300, for the following reasons.

Villain has bet only a third of the pot. Were this a small buy in, I would say the most likely scenario is that the villain is simply continuation betting but is quite a weak player. He knows he's gotta get something in on this flop to make it look like he's got an ace to stop someone coming over the top and bluffing him out of the pot.

I don't discount this possibility but a more likely scenario is that he is being tricky (or trying too anyway). He has flopped a monster or is trying to make it look like he has (a sort of post-oak bluff if you will).

The only way to really know is to raise him and find out. A pot sized raise like this takes his pot odds away if he's on the flush draw, and signals that we caught something substantial on the flop. If he calls, we approach the turn with some care. If he pushes we probably muck, (the only possible hand we beat here is AQ).

EDIT
Hving read my reply I wonder if I'm being a little risk averse here, a little scared. My raise is probably giving away our chances to make some money off a weaker hand. Still such an underbet confuses me and I wanna know what it means now.

Lloyd
10-16-2005, 07:14 PM
What range of hands do you put villain on?

10-16-2005, 07:21 PM
I'm guessing he has QQ JJ or AK. I doubt KK. He could have AA, but I can't spend my time worrying about AA all the time.

10-16-2005, 07:42 PM
I think I'm ahead in this hand...was probably re raised with a med or high pair or if I'm relly lucky a weaker A. I reraise to t350.