View Full Version : tuba

Ray Zee
06-01-2003, 01:57 AM
there is a tuba reciteal going on. they said it was free. like anyone would come if they charged admission.

so they refer to the people as tubists. well if i float down the river in a tube, am i a tubist or a tuber. this stuff may be the root of my problem.

Cyrus
06-01-2003, 03:03 AM
boycott tuba.

scalf
06-01-2003, 07:54 AM
/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif does a flautist play a flaut????

these are the things that cause me to wonder???? /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

Zeno
06-01-2003, 12:51 PM
Your post reminded me of something that happened too many years ago. I played a cornet (low-class trumpet) in the High School Band. One day during practice the music teacher was giving the tuba player more than the usual odd looks she gave most students when we practiced. We had an old tuba, it was a large all brass beast that weight about 17 tons. It was on a sit-down stand to play, as it was too heavy to really shoulder. Anyway, the music teacher said the sound from the tuba was off key. She was right of course but we never really cared. So the tuba player wiggled out of the stand, pick up the tuba and turned it over and shook it, bell towards the floor. Stuff came out, then more stuff and after more shaking a little bit more stuff. Wadded paper, those small milk cartons we got at lunch, pencils, wire, lots of gum, and I think a light bulb collected on the band room floor.

Everyone laughed, including the music teacher, and the class mused on how long some of the paraphernalia had been in the tuba. The large open bell of the tuba had obviously been used as a convenient wastebasket for many years. The junk in the tuba must have just recently reached a threshold of interfering with the sound produce by the instrument to the extent of being very noticeable. The tuba player remarked, after trying a few notes, that it was much easier to play and wind. Bye the bye our unremarkable band still sounded bad, just not as much off key as before.

I also did a small stint playing the baritone, sort of a wimpy tuba, a bass cleft instrument. But playing the tuba well is very difficult and you must have strong lungs to wind the beast in any efficient manner.

You should go early to the recital and chum the tuba with light bulbs and paper. It will make for a more interesting presentation.

Also, don't people eat tubers, but not “tubists”? At least not usually?

-Zeno

Bob T.
06-01-2003, 01:01 PM
Or is a 'flautist' the proper term for Ray, as he floats down the river in a tube?

M2d
06-01-2003, 01:13 PM
To the jet skiers, you're neither...You're a speedbump

Mark Heide
06-01-2003, 01:37 PM
Ray,

You could be a "tuber" but I don't think it's what you expect it to be.

http://www.truffle.org/tuber_directory/

Mark

P.S. Have you caught the skunk and prepared it yet? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

John Cole
06-01-2003, 09:34 PM
Mark,

If you ever visit Rhode Island, be forewarned that "tuba" will be pronounced as "tuber," and "tuber" will be pronounced "tuba." The hardest words for a Rhode Islander to say that approximates Standard American are "Polar Cola," a brand of "soder."

whiskeytown
06-01-2003, 10:59 PM
depends...

one of those forks of the Flathead River (I think South Fork) is mostly whitewater...(think that Meryl Streep film "The River" - filmed up there in NW MT -

go tubing down that...we're going to call you "The Late Great Ray Zee"

do me a favor...kick some of those dumbass Californians out of my home County, will ya..or tell them to go tubing on the Flathead River

RB

Ray Zee
06-01-2003, 11:39 PM
actually they filmed part of it on the middle fork of the flathead. i have a cabin on it near where she was being filmed. i raft and canoe it all the time. but dont tube it as its very cold. even in mid summer. i do plunge in alot but dont stay in long. its reay only class three rapids with a few class four spots. but mostly fairly smooth.

TJSWAN
06-02-2003, 05:18 PM
IMHO only Zeno was close to what it was. Remember if you use a pun to commit a rhyme you can end up in a pail. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif