PDA

View Full Version : JJ hand for review...

RockLobster
06-01-2003, 12:41 AM
Hi All--

Online 2/4, I'm dealt J/forums/images/icons/club.gif J/forums/images/icons/heart.gif in EP. UTG (decent player) calls, I raise, MP (LA) cold calls, UTG calls. 3 to the flop:

[4/forums/images/icons/club.gif 9/forums/images/icons/club.gif T/forums/images/icons/club.gif]

UTG checks, I bet, LA calls, UTG folds. 2 to the turn:

[4/forums/images/icons/club.gif 9/forums/images/icons/club.gif T/forums/images/icons/club.gif] Q/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

Could be worse. I have a fair flush draw, an open-ender, and a decent pair. Oh yeah, and I'm against an LA. I bet, he raises, I just call (too weak?). I'm guessing he has any Q here. 2 to the river:

[4/forums/images/icons/club.gif 9/forums/images/icons/club.gif T/forums/images/icons/club.gif Q/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif] 8/forums/images/icons/club.gif

I prefer the straight, but I guess I have a flush. I bet (would you?), he calls. Results below...

LA mucks his KJo. Wow, I guess I don't prefer the straight. The turn brought him the nut straight, but Old Man River punished him for cold-calling with KJo.

Comments?

Porcupine
06-01-2003, 12:58 AM
Turn: "I bet, he raises, I just call (too weak?)."

I would have played it the same. However, I often find I'm not aggressive enough. I look forward to seeing what others think about calling here.

River: "I prefer the straight, but I guess I have a flush. I bet (would you?), he calls."

I like the bet here. Considering it was against LA, were you planning to call a raise here?

RockLobster
06-01-2003, 01:05 AM
Hi Porcupine--

River: "I prefer the straight, but I guess I have a flush. I bet (would you?), he calls."

I like the bet here. Considering it was against LA, were you planning to call a raise here?

Yep, but I wouldn't have been happy about it /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif.

Bob T.
06-01-2003, 05:02 AM
I would have probably played this hand the same way. I think that it is important to bet the river, because he will call with a lot more hands than he will bet. You will also be able to fold to a raise from a lot of players, but maybe not this one.

RockLobster
06-01-2003, 10:03 AM
Hey Bob--

You will also be able to fold to a raise from a lot of players, but maybe not this one.

This would be a tough laydown for me, I think I'd call a raise in this situation against most opponents. My J-high flush only needs to win 1 out of 12 times or so for this to be a good call, right?

Bob T.
06-01-2003, 12:37 PM
This would be a tough laydown for me, I think I'd call a raise in this situation against most opponents. My J-high flush only needs to win 1 out of 12 times or so for this to be a good call, right?

Yeah, but with a fourflush on the board, I bet that the minimum raising hand from most players would be the 2nd nut hand, and some would just raise with the nut flush. I think that loose aggressive players might go down to the fourth nut flush often enough that calling a raise might be close, but I don't think that you would be making much money if any, long run calling in this situation. Because the flush is so easy to see, even full fledged maniacs don't get far out of line in this situation.

RockLobster
06-01-2003, 12:59 PM
Aaah, understood. Makes sense to me, thanks...

rkiray
06-01-2003, 02:51 PM
I would have raised the turn. KJo is a trap hand. That and hands like KTo, QTo can cost you alot of money if you arn't careful.