PDA

View Full Version : bluff c/r the turn

checkmate36
10-16-2005, 10:40 AM
PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, Button calls, SB folds.

Button was weak-tight type of player. When raised he will often fold /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Turn: (3 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls.

I had hoped the button would check the turn when I checked to him. It's very possible he holds an ace (or a pair lower than my J's) or is taking a shot at representing the Ace hoping I fold my top pair. When it was back to me I raised and hoped to take it down right here. He almost timed out thinking about it and then at the last second he called. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

River: (7 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds.

I decided to take one more shot at it. I have never attempted this move before but the situation looked perfect to try it. I bet its a long while before this move pops up again if ever. At the lower limits our opponents usually just call, call, call making this play a loser.

Final Pot: 8 BB

hemstock
10-16-2005, 10:56 AM
Some will say the pot is small and you shouldn't bother, or call down instead of raising, but trusting your reads = +EV

bozlax
10-16-2005, 12:04 PM
Why do you hope he'll check the turn through? If he's weak-tight the reason you're checking is to try and induce a bluff at the scare card so you can raise him and make him fold his ace-weak kicker. The other option is to just bet again, representing that you couldn't give less of a damn about top pair since your BB Special gave you trips on the flop.

That said, Hem is right. This pot is so small, I think you're better off check/folding the turn; since your "weak-tight" Villan didn't fold to your flop bet, I think it's less likely he's going to fold anywhere, especially if he has Ax (a rave fave among the weak-tight crowd).

Aaron W.
10-16-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Button was weak-tight type of player. When raised he will often fold /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I had hoped the button would check the turn when I checked to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand your line in light of the read.

You want him to check through because... you want him to take a free card? Do *you* need the free card?

Is he a weak-tight that likes to bet when checked to him (not likely based on your read)?

I think the play is fine against some opposition, but not the type that your single sentence seems to describe.