PDA

View Full Version : kqs preflop?

10-16-2005, 08:26 AM
I was just getting round to the August issue and I thought Barron's article was a little strange. Does everyone 3 bet kqs when facing a raise and a few callers? Maybe I'm not good enough at table selection, but this doesnt seem like such a great idea. Even so, the argument for it sounds a little flawed.

The reason winning players raise is because they think the bet has positive EV. When we say an action is correct, we take for granted that it's because there is a positive EV to be gained, but Barron's article doesnt really go that way. As I read on, I find out that the reason is so that future bets will have positive EV.

For those who don't see why this is wrong, an extreme case of this argument would be just asking everyone at the table if you could donate 500 bets into the pot before each hand is delt. Doing this would mean every future action you make in this hand will have positive EV.

Making as many +EV bets you can is not how you win. You win by making the sequence of bets that maximize your EV. Infact, winning players (at low- and mid-stakes) usually make fewer +EV bets than most players because they simply make less bets in general.

BarronVangorToth
10-16-2005, 08:40 AM
There was at least one thread that extensively spoke about this last month ... I'm sure you can find it.

Here's one (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=magazine&Number=3271250&pa ge=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=all).

In this spot, it is definitely +EV to reraise KQs.

As you can see, I don't believe what you are saying that I am writing, but I do think I could've been clearer in how I explained the position.

While the early installments of On The Edge fit nicely in the approximately 1000-word structure, the latter ones definitely could've filled triple or quadruple the space in order to fully explain the concepts, thought processes, and mathematical analysis of the why's and why not's.

Someday...

Regardless: it's a raise with the details from the article and this table, even with the knowledge of the original people.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

Dhani
10-16-2005, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was just getting round to the August issue and I thought Barron's article was a little strange. Does everyone 3 bet kqs when facing a raise and a few callers? Maybe I'm not good enough at table selection, but this doesnt seem like such a great idea. Even so, the argument for it sounds a little flawed.

The reason for this, is KQ suited will win a majority of the time for obvious reasons.

10-16-2005, 05:43 PM
I'm new to forums, i never can tell who's joking.
89% vs 11% so far, i'm a little surprised. I wonder if it would be closer to 60-70% vs 40-30% if people voted before reading the post. Bais, conformity, etc

BarronVangorToth
10-16-2005, 05:44 PM
Lumping "call" with "fold" is also odd in the poll...

Oh, well.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

Justin A
10-17-2005, 10:14 AM
The results of this poll are most likely biased based on Barron's reputation in this forum.

BarronVangorToth
10-17-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The results of this poll are most likely biased based on Barron's reputation in this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

That isn't true, as there would be more votes for three-betting the KQs then.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

daryn
10-17-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That isn't true, as there would be more votes for three-betting the KQs then.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.supermanfred.it/delirious.gif