PDA

View Full Version : tipping at the wsop

10-16-2005, 07:12 AM
I heard they take out a percentage of the prize pool at the w.s.o.p. I dont know how much maybe 3%to pay the dealers. If first place was 7.5 million, should the champ tip anything?

daryn
10-16-2005, 11:35 AM
the correct answer: if he wants to

10-16-2005, 01:10 PM
I know that there's a certain expectation. I was with Dave Williams when he got his money the day after 2004 and it was politely explained to him by Matt Savage and a Binions rep that 3% was considered the norm.

Jordan Olsommer
10-16-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was with Dave Williams when he got his money the day after 2004 and it was politely explained to him by Matt Savage and a Binions rep that 3% was considered the norm.

[/ QUOTE ]

In Positively Fifth Street, there are a couple of paragraphs where Jim McManus describes this convention in detail. Except, you know, without the David Williams part.

Photoc
10-16-2005, 01:22 PM
If you do a search in the WPT forum, you'll find a several page thread dealing with this same issue.

stabn
10-16-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know that there's a certain expectation. I was with Dave Williams when he got his money the day after 2004 and it was politely explained to him by Matt Savage and a Binions rep that 3% was considered the norm.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty lame of matt to do given the % they took out of the prize pool that year. Unless he also explained how much was taken out and that 3% isn't the norm after they do that.

Masquerade
10-17-2005, 07:15 PM
This year Harrah's took out 6% of the main event prize pool so I dont think there is the slightest obligation for any winner to tip. That didnt apply last year.

10-17-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty lame of matt to do given the % they took out of the prize pool that year. Unless he also explained how much was taken out and that 3% isn't the norm after they do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was all on the up and up. It was more of a 'let the new kid know what'd been done before he arrived' kind of conversation. Savage explained all the financial details, including % taken from the prize pool, etc.

Gary