PDA

View Full Version : Am I a terrible player?

10-16-2005, 02:40 AM
Second hand of the entire tournament. I thought he had aces from his min re-raise, but I still couldn't get away from this. Is this ever a fold or do you go broke with this every time?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

BB (t1000)
UTG (t985)
UTG+1 (t845)
UTG+2 (t1240)
MP1 (t985)
MP2 (t985)
MP3 (t1000)
CO (t985)
Hero (t990)
SB (t985)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises to t30</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t100</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t170</font>, UTG+2 calls t140, Hero calls t70.

Flop: (t517.50) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero bets t300, BB raises to t830 (all-in), UTG+2 folds, Hero calls t520 (all-in)

Turn: (t517.50) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: (t517.50) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: t517.50

He had aces and so I lose. Too results oriented or obvious min-raise with aces?

pfkaok
10-16-2005, 02:48 AM
in this case, the min re-reraise you might be able to let go, but i don't think i would. i feel like i'd need a pretty good read on the guy to KNOW he had AA there.

10-16-2005, 03:23 AM
i had a similar hand where i had KK, and i had a terrific read on a guy holding AA. there was some preflop action and a low card flop, and i almost folded it. i ended up losing half my stack because i wanted to see if my read was correct. it was.

Cactus Jack
10-16-2005, 06:03 AM
You had a read on this guy on the second hand of a tournament? From his mini-raise in the BB? What tournament were you playing? Not one I've ever been in. He should have folded, up against a player who has this psychic ability.

If you read him for AA, why did you bet when he checked?

If you read him for AA, why didn't you fold to his all in? Your reading ability surpasses your poker ability?

I probably would have gone broke here, too. But not from the same reason you had. I'd have gone broke because I didn't have the ability to see through the backs of cards.

Sheesh, c'mon, man. I can't be the only one who thinks this is silly stuff.

CJ

pfkaok
10-16-2005, 08:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You had a read on this guy on the second hand of a tournament? From his mini-raise in the BB? What tournament were you playing? Not one I've ever been in. He should have folded, up against a player who has this psychic ability.

If you read him for AA, why did you bet when he checked?

If you read him for AA, why didn't you fold to his all in? Your reading ability surpasses your poker ability?

I probably would have gone broke here, too. But not from the same reason you had. I'd have gone broke because I didn't have the ability to see through the backs of cards.

Sheesh, c'mon, man. I can't be the only one who thinks this is silly stuff.

CJ

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. this is good. exaclty what i think when i read these types of i think this is a bad beat, but i'm just making sure i played well posts (so as to somehow try to disguise the fact that it really is just a lameass bad beat, looking for sympathy and approval post). but you wrote it out much more eloquently than i ever could have.

10-16-2005, 09:56 AM
I agree with the previous posters for the most part. How could you put him on Aces in the second hand you've seen him play from a min raise? Honestly, I get tired of ppl stating how they had their opponent "exactly" on a hand (funny how they always know after the results). Ludacris, you can only put him on a RANGE of hands. Obviously with a raise he must have something, but a min raise I would be thinking weaker. AA is definetly a possibility though unlikely. He could have any pocket pair or any broadway cards at this point. On the flop you have TPTK, bet the pot. If he pushes, you call. To me I'd feel at worst he has AK also and we chop, or hopefully K with a lesser kicker. You got nailed with aces though, so take a deep breath and get on to your next tourney.

DyessMan89
10-16-2005, 11:52 AM
I think AA is a likley possiblity here ... I dont know many other hands a player would min-raise with then re-raise. However, I dont think I would have been able to get away from the hand either.

10-16-2005, 01:58 PM
First off what buy-in is this? I am much more likely to go broke in a lower buy-in where I've seen people make plays like this some ridiculous hands.

However, since you have no reads and it's early I normally give my opponents credit for being at least decent players til they show me otherwise.

I have to agree with many posters here that it's ridiculous that you 'knew' he had AA from his min raise.

That being said I think you can get away from this hand. His min raise preflop has to scare you as it should. It looks like he's trying to get the min raiser from UTG+2 out but keep you in and figures a min raise has a good chance to do this (it didn't but he had to think UTG+2 might fold to 2 raises).

On the flop a preflop raiser checks. This has to give you warnings right there. However you've hit TPTK and have a good hand. He could easily have QQ or worse and now throw it away with two callers and the K out there. So you bet to see if your TPTK is good and the preflop aggressor now pushes after checking to you. On a side I think your flop bet is a good size as there is a flush draw out there and a smaller bet is asking to get raised.

You made a good bet and showed a lot of strength and now the preflop aggressor has come over the top. I would actually have expected to see KK here but am not suprised he showed you AA when you called. I fold to his reraise here as the best you can expect is to see AK for a split. You still have t520 chips and the BB is only t15, while it sucks you got crippled early at least you're not out.