PDA

View Full Version : Do fours really look that much like aces?

DZgroundhog
10-16-2005, 02:13 AM
1/2 100max NL, preflop and flop action's nott important...

I had AT on an Ax88 rainbow board and was put all-in on the turn by the super drunk guy with the monster stack who actually was still playing decent poker despite having trouble counting his chips. I felt I had a solid read that I was in kicker trouble, so I folded my hand face-up since it was a friendly table and let him know that I thought his kicker was good.

So he says, "Yeah, ace-jack" as he tables his J4. I figured I must've misheard him and told him he made a hell of a bluff. He looks at his cards again and says, "Oh man, I thought that four was an ace. Thank God you didn't call me."

Hilarity ensued.

DZ

exist
10-16-2005, 03:11 AM
folding face up is teh suck.

STG
10-16-2005, 04:23 AM
I've put guys on an A or a 4 when they look back at their hand at times. It has helped me in many hands. It's definately a tell.

Go Blue
10-16-2005, 04:51 AM
I don't think it's that unreasonable to get these cards mixed up. I've once had T4 and played it like TA. Also, in omaha I've had this mixup. One time, I don't recall what the exact situation was, but I had a similar experience as the OP. I wound up folding because I pretty much put the other guy on aces and he said "good fold" and showed me his "aces" which were actually A4.

otter
10-16-2005, 07:11 AM
yes they really do...ever look for yourself? Just squeeze it so you can see the corner. At first a 4 will look like an A

HDPM
10-16-2005, 01:22 PM
yes, A-4 is the hand that can fool my eye. I've never made the mistake bad enough to play it as AA, but there's that split second where you think it might be AA

cardcounter0
10-16-2005, 01:27 PM
When you are hole carding a flashing dealer, 4s and Aces can be murder.
/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

tek
10-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Last year at a satellite for a Canterbruy Fall Poker Classic event I get my pockets Q's raised all in. I call. The guy proudly flips over his...pocket 4's that he thought were A's /images/graemlins/blush.gif

PITTM
10-16-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yes, A-4 is the hand that can fool my eye. I've never made the mistake bad enough to play it as AA, but there's that split second where you think it might be AA

[/ QUOTE ]

ive always said that A4 is my least favorite hand because of the many times you get an a and then initially think you have aces when you have a4 /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

rj

B Dids
10-16-2005, 11:13 PM
A friend an occasional 2+2er mistook AA for A4 when he was playing on Live @ The Bike, and end up making a pretty horrible fold with like the internet watching (he realized what his hand was before he folded, but he played it in such a manner preflop and post flop that he felt he couldn't call the guy's river bet).

Rduke55
10-17-2005, 02:26 PM
I've done the A4 is AA thing once.
This past weekend, after many hours and drinks, I looked at my hole cards and saw 99. Right before I called I rechecked them and saw 93. I looked at one card twice.

wayabvpar
10-17-2005, 02:58 PM
I played a pot yesterday with a board of K49, turn 9, river 6. I checkraise the turn with what I thought was A9, only to be reraised by a rock-y type. I check call the river and tell him his KK is good. He tables K9. I look back, and I have A6! That is what I get for playing on less than 4 hours of sleep.

Georgia Avenue
10-17-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hilarity ensued.

[/ QUOTE ]

Q6 gets me every time.
Damn this dyslexia!!!

PokerFink
10-18-2005, 01:29 AM
A hand from this weekend in 5/5 no limit...

Villian raises to 15. I raise to 45. He raises to 125. I raise to 350. He looks at his cards and mucks his A4 face up.

Villian: "I thought I had aces."
Dude to my right: "No, you made a move and got caught."
Me: "Whatever". I flip up my QJo.

Analyst
10-18-2005, 02:21 AM
Back in the good ol' days of blackjack, when the dealers had to manually check their down card for an Ace when showing a ten, it was a pretty reliable tell that a double-take meant a 4 down.