PDA

View Full Version : $11's My reads on villain hurt me more than they help me...

Dr_Jeckyl_00
10-15-2005, 11:45 PM
I often get reads on opponents and then I loosen my starting requirements and call/push against villain and I lose. For example, I will notice that they are very loose and that they play any ace, king, or 2 suited, or they always c-bet flop, or bluff alot, etc. and then I decide that my unimproved AQ on the flop is good, or their raise into me from SB is a bluff, or their bet on flop is another c-bet and I push or call all-in and BAM!... I lose... b/c either this time they had a hand or they suck out... of course occassionally I win, but I think that I lose more than I win. I think I may know the answer to my question... I think, that regardless of my read on villain I should not change my game and loosen up my starting hand requirements against villain... I should just be confident that when I like my hand, I am likely a favorite if I end up against the respective opponent. Any advice on taking advantage of my reads? Thanks.

swiftrhett
10-16-2005, 12:22 AM
I 8 table the $11's for 23% ROI with almost zero reads. About the only time I read at all is ITM.

Gomez22
10-16-2005, 12:29 AM
If you are a winning player at the $10 level, I don't really see a need to "change your game" against your opponents. This type of thing comes with time, patience and practice. What you can do, however, is IMPROVE YOUR OWN GAME instead of trying to adjust to your opposition at this particular level.

$10 SNGs are basically all about ABC poker (SNG-style, of course). If you haven't alrady done so, I suggest you read this (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=&Number=591779&page=&v iew=&sb=5&o=&fpart=), as it may be the single greatest post made in regards to beginning or low-limit SNGs ever.

Dr_Jeckyl_00
10-16-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I 8 table the $11's for 23% ROI with almost zero reads. About the only time I read at all is ITM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that reads are not important?

Gomez22
10-16-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying that reads are not important?

[/ QUOTE ]

No... I think the OP-er is just saying that they are not nearly as important at the $10 levels as they are the $55+.

Walk, don't run..... getting overly concerned with reads at an early stage in a poker "career" is just as deadly as "fancy-play" syndrome or tilt. If you're losing more than winning when it comes to relying on your reads, that should tell you something right there..... reads come with ALOT of experience and time at the tables. Don't try to force them. I've found that alot of reads that I have picked up on from time to time, just sort of happen.

swiftrhett
10-16-2005, 12:52 AM
I'm sure that some people find reads important, but if you just want to beat the $11's for 20% ROI, you don't need reads. Actually, I believe that reads are much harder to get at the $11's, and trying to hone that skill there will be frustrating.

If you want to kick the crap out of the $11's, focusing on ABC poker will get you further than reads.

Jbrochu
10-16-2005, 01:10 AM
Why are you loosening your starting requirements against loose "bad" opponents? When you're playing against loose passive opponents (calling stations) you should tighten up. When you make your hands on the flop, keep betting into the calling stations.

If you're playing against a loose aggressive player (i.e. - always continuation bets) and hit the flop, check to them and let them do the betting for you, or if you have position just call their bet and let them bluff again on the turn.

If you have nothing, just let the hand go. It can be frustrating to continually fold against somebody you know is bluffing, but just wait them out because soon enough if they're really bad players you will get the chips in with the best of it.

Dr_Jeckyl_00
10-16-2005, 07:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why are you loosening your starting requirements against loose "bad" opponents? When you're playing against loose passive opponents (calling stations) you should tighten up. When you make your hands on the flop, keep betting into the calling stations.

If you're playing against a loose aggressive player (i.e. - always continuation bets) and hit the flop, check to them and let them do the betting for you, or if you have position just call their bet and let them bluff again on the turn.

If you have nothing, just let the hand go. It can be frustrating to continually fold against somebody you know is bluffing, but just wait them out because soon enough if they're really bad players you will get the chips in with the best of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds good. In fact, what everyone said sounds good. I think I get FPS, or even minor tilt when I know what are doing... but it backfires. I think I will continue to try and read opponents, b/c I will need that skill, but I won't change my play at the $11's. Thanks everyone!

vexvelour
10-16-2005, 08:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]