PDA

View Full Version : whiskey or scotch

J-Lo
10-15-2005, 10:48 PM
what's the difference between the two?

any recomendations? I'm parciall (sp?) to makers mark whiskey straight... maybe some ice. Crown is good too, but MM is "spiced" better. Plain Jack is no good-- nasty taste of bad alcohol. Never tried JD single barrell or any of that top shelf stuff. I'm a bit clueless when it comes to "good" whisky/scotch... advice?

TheBlueMonster
10-15-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm parciall (sp?)

[/ QUOTE ]
partial.

STLantny
10-15-2005, 10:52 PM
scotch is whiskey, best analogy

whiskey = car
scotch = toyota
johnny walker = avalon

jakethebake
10-15-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
scotch is whiskey, best analogy

whiskey = car
scotch = toyota
johnny walker = avalon

[/ QUOTE ]

This would only be true if Toyotas were actually Yugos.

HDPM
10-16-2005, 12:35 AM
Well, whiskey can be made anywhere and there are various styles. Scotch is, well, Scotch. The process involves peat to give it the smoky flavor. Makers Mark is a bourbon whiskey which is supposed to be from Kentucky. I think under ATF regs bourbon can come from other places but has to meet certain criteria. Not sure exactly. But makers is from kentucky as are the other good bourbons. Different ingredients and process to give it that sweet, intense flavor. Crown is goat piss. It is a Canadian whiskey, and those are more rye I think. Jack Daniels is tenessee whiskey. It is a bourbon basically, but from tenessee and charcoal filtered. For more detail search the archives. Lotta posts on it. Also check out some books on whisky/whiskey in the bookstore for a detailed description of the difference between a Scotch malt whisky and an American Bourbon or Canadian whiskey.

NoRiverRats
10-16-2005, 11:17 AM
In my circles, Scotch usually means from Scotland, whiskey can be Canadian, American, Irish or Scottish. Scotch can further be divided into blends, like Johnny Walker and single malts. The best stuff from Scotland is single malt, meaning its one pure whiskey, not mixed with whiskey from other distilleries. These single malts vary greatly in taste, from mellow ones like Glenfiddich, to richer ones like Macallan. If you want really stong ones, look to the islands of Scotland, for stuff like Laphroig or Lagavulin. Single malts taste much different from Canadian, American and Irish whiskey. Best to line them all up and taste, then repeat.

BirdieLongSocks
10-16-2005, 11:28 AM
Johny walker- black label, a bit on the expensive side...
Jim Beam- cheap but not as icky vicky tasting as JD

spamuell
10-16-2005, 12:47 PM
Scotch is, well, Scotch. The process involves peat to give it the smoky flavor.

There are lots of Scottish whiskies which aren't peaty (e.g. Speyside whiskies), it's mainly the islay ones that are.

theben
10-16-2005, 01:04 PM
there are so many types of whiskey i cant begin to name them all. bourbon whiskey (kentucky), tennesse whiskey, scotch whiskey which might be blended of single malt, many different types of malts, irish whiskey, etc, etc.

jack daniels single barrel is a good whiskey
JW gold is a good blended scotch
The Dalmore is good single malt scotch
bushmills makes good irish whiskeys
i cant think of bourbons

benfranklin
10-16-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, whiskey can be made anywhere and there are various styles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scotch is whisky, Makers Mark, etc., are whiskey.

[ QUOTE ]
bourbon can come from other places but has to meet certain criteria. Not sure exactly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bourbon is whiskey that is made from at least 51% corn. Contrary to popular opinion, Jack Daniels is not bourbon.

Slow Play Ray
10-16-2005, 04:24 PM
I am currently drinking a bottle of Johnnie Walker Gold - highly recommended.